Chris Ben

Maiden Run With My GPZ

Steve Herschbach    7,948
2 hours ago, Chris Ben said:

We'll not to bad mouth the ATX, because I did well with it and learned a lot about detecting for gold with it, but I had been through this wash with the 3 coils and didn't find anything. The gold was either too deep or too small for the ATX. I think it says more about how good the GPZ is.

Thankfully four times the money does buy a little something extra! Hang onto the ATX if you can - it easily handles hot rocks and salt ground that can be problematic for the GPZ in some places. I think a GPZ and GPX pair would be perfect but for me a GPZ and ATX works better reinforcing each other. The ATX folds up nice and is easy enough to take along as a backup.

• Like 2

Chris Ben    252
46 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thankfully four times the money does buy a little something extra! Hang onto the ATX if you can - it easily handles hot rocks and salt ground that can be problematic for the GPZ in some places. I think a GPZ and GPX pair would be perfect but for me a GPZ and ATX works better reinforcing each other. The ATX folds up nice and is easy enough to take along as a backup.

Steve, I was thinking about selling it, but may reconsider. Maybe 

Chris 

Chris Ben    252
9 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Congrats on the new detector, and finds Chris. That sure was a good day, and I think that patch has many more buried, need to get a small dozer out there :).  I confirmed Chris's meteorite, by cutting a window into it, so congrats on the gold n meteorite. I've been nugget/ meteorite detecting with Minelabs since I first got a sd2200 back in 2003, and haven't come close to your skill and determination, It came natural to you...Sorry but here is a bad pic I made with phone of Chris's meteorite find,  need to get one of those macro cameras for good close up pics...

20170212_180327-1.jpg

Skill and determination? Thanks man, but I'm learning from you, seriously. Not nearly as much determination as much as just plain stubbornness. Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to next outing. 

Chris

• Like 1

idahogold    243

CB-P h e n o m i n a L  !!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: all B e a u t i e s zzzzzz! 

Would be Hard to Have Much Confidence in Your Previous 2 Detectors. Now...IMO,

sell'em get a GB2 and yur done. Great Reality Share and Excellent pictures! Keep it Going Bro! 

Cheers, Ig

Randy Lunn    153

Chris, you got me drooling on my key board. I can not wait to get out.

• Like 1

Chris Ben    252
7 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

Chris, you got me drooling on my key board. I can not wait to get out.

Randy, I can't wait to get back out myself.!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phoenix
      This is generally the size size of the stuff I get now.  I occasionally get maybe a 2 grammer but it`s quite a while since I got anything bigger.  I have no doubt the 7000 is a deep punching detector, some of these small pieces it amazed me how deep I got them, but it constantly mystifies me why the bigger stuff just doesn`t seem to be there.   Anyway I am pleased when I come home with a rattle in the jar.   This lot goes 3 grams    cheers Dave

• By Chris Ben
      Made it out for a half day this past weekend, covered a lot of ground, but was worth it. The biggest was 5.4g and was over a foot down, 3 inches into hard caliche. Loving the GPZ. 
      Did well with the meteorites as well.
      Chris

• By Col Douglas

Quite apart from the fact that you don't have to dig it up , but just pick it up, there's something special about finding a "sun baker" gold nugget. This one weighed 3.8 grams, and was recently found in the Pilbara in northern Western Australia. Can you see it?

• By Steve Herschbach
      So where are the posts from people using Fisher, Garrett, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro, White's, XP, and other brands of detectors other than Minelab?
      According to my last detector survey there are lots of Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, TDI/TDIPro/TDISL/SPP, and GMT/GM3/VSAT out there in particular.
      Yet when I review any metal detecting forums anywhere nugget finds posted with these machines are few and far between. Do people own these machines but don't use them much? Too shy to post? Intimidated by the "Minelab Mafia"?
      You people that do outings. What do you observe as far as detector ownership and people finding gold? How much success are people having with non-Minelab detectors?
      So where are you guys and gals? Do you exist and do you find gold?
    • By Swifty
      I live in the Southern California just north of  Los Angeles. Its been HOT, real hot the last few weeks and I wanted to get out detecting but the idea of hunting new patches in air temps of 100 degrees or more just did not seem appealing until this morning.  We have  had a few wild fires spreading around the Los Angeles area and even thou they are many miles from me, the wind was blowing  the smoke in my direction. That was enough to get me driving out to the gold fields. I arrived at the area  I wanted to start swinging my zed  and decided to change up my settings. Im a smooth threshold person, cant stand a chattery threshold, but since I was going to be covering old ground I decided to turn up the settings as far as I could and see what happens Sometimes it pays to step out of your comfort zone,  2.26g .56g .05g

• By Steve Herschbach
      It's been a slow go this year as I explore completely new locations off the beaten track (which usually means a skunk) or finding the last few nuggets in well pounded patches. Get them fast or get them slow however - they still add up.

This hunt was almost entirely with the GPZ19 as I had a large area to grid with minimal chances of gold plus I wanted to get more hours in with the large coil. It has gone from a coil I thought I basically would never use to one that I will be using more often going forward. The coil seems to run slightly smoother with my Insanely Hot Settings as it reacts a bit less to near surface mineralization and hot rocks. The coil does have more issues with alkali ground than the stock coil, but the new Patch Mode (Locate Patch) seems just right for the 19" coil at a lot of places I hunt. The GPZ19 is great for covering large open areas where I think nuggets will be few and far between. In other words, I am looking more for ground coverage than depth - extra depth is a bonus.
      The Gold Monster 1000 was a great aid in pinpointing. Not so much for when digging a deep nugget (though it is helpful for that) as for making short work of the ever present surface ferrous trash. Nothing like a 19" DOD coil for chasing tiny brown ferrous bits in brown dirt, and that GPZ19 coil will hit little trash far better than one might think!
      Anyway, just a few nuggets adding up to almost 3 pennyweight (4.4 grams) this outing. Largest nugget 2 grams. The four on right were found with GPZ 7000 and two on left with Gold Monster 1000 (10" coil). Click photos for larger versions.

The larger Gold Monster nugget has some nice character in closeup....