Chase Goldman

Best Way To Determine Optimal Ground Sensitivity (new Ver 4.1 Setting)

38 minutes ago, unearth said:

I've read the entire thread and am still a bit confused as to whether or not to GB before hunting. Or do I just turn the Deus on and hunt? I usually have 3 to 5 ticks on the mineralization bar, but still not sure what to do, if anything about that. I'm sure this thread is crystal clear to a lot of people, but not to me.

OK, not a problem.

I'll see if I can simplify. 

Using version 4.1 if you select auto tracking with (default) level 6 ground sensitivity in your soil 3-5 ticks in mineral strength meter, your Deus will not track, instead it will go to default 88 ground phase  reading.  And you will know this by witnessing the following.  Top box in your remote will have dashes, bottom screen will have 88 displayed.  With a ground balance of 88, very likely you will experience some loss of depth, and or some targets detected could give broken tones making you think they are ferrous targets.

So what is a work around?

You have 2 options.

#1- select ground sensitivity level 10 and then you can use tracking GB and your Deus will track in your soil.

#2 - leave ground sensitivty at default level 6, and do a pumping GB and then hunt.  Doing this will give you your depth, just keep in mind the top box may or may not have a number displayed.  Ocassionally Deus may sense minerlization depending on your sweep speed and you may see a number pop in top box.  You really when in manual GB, you don't care if the top box has anything in it or not.

Now, all this above is how to get depth with a ground balance operation using version 4.1. (In your soil). Remember if I was say detecting down near say South Carolina cost, ground is mild, and there is a very good chance actual ground phase is near 88, so there I likely could just go to tracking GB and hunt away and deus will strike at very good depths.

I encourage you to try the following.  If using a 9" LF coil select 12khz, bury a nickel down to 9" deep in your soil.  Sweep around in tracking GB and see if you can hear the buried nickel.  Next perform a pumping ground balance then check buried nickel.  Which method of GB did the nickel sound the best signal wise.  Last, after doing pumping GB and checking nickle, start raising GB number manually, like raise 3 points sweep nickel, then repeat, and keep repeating.  See how high you can actually run ground phase number above actual ground phase reading and get a good signal on nickel.  After you do this exercise, you will have a better idea of why a good good balance is important.  If using an 11" LF coil consider burying nickel at 10" deep when doing exercise above.

Thanks Tnsharpshooter. I have all three LF coils and the nine inch round HF coil. Would the same exercise work with the HF coil?

9 hours ago, unearth said:

Thanks Tnsharpshooter. I have all three LF coils and the nine inch round HF coil. Would the same exercise work with the HF coil?

Short answer YES for the way GB works on version 4.1.

Using 9" round HF coil consider burying nickel and experimenting at both 9" and 10" deep.

This is great info! I relic hunt in relatively non-mineralized ground (except for Culpeper) so playing it safe with default setting of 6 seems like the safest play.

• Like 1

here is gary blackwell explaining ground sens in v4.1

• Like 3