I was thinking the other day about some of the best metal detectors of the analog age and early digital age.  My memory shows concentric searchcoils, the Fisher CZ series being an example.

What is the earliest commercial detector that had the commercial option of a DD coil?  (As opposed to prototypes, experiements, garage builds, etc., although if you know of any of those it would also be interesting to read about.)  Were there analog detectors (and if so, which ones) that worked with DD coils or did those not come around until digital circuitry took over?

Yes I don`t know when the first DD coil appeared on a detector but the 15000, which was the first Minelab, I believe had one. I recall taking a 15000 owner to a spot the Garret A2B with a Dtex concentric had scored many nuggets around the base of large rocks in a raised old streambed, the 15000 scored many more because the front of the DD had depth over the concentrics, The concentrics had more depth in the centre but that first example of the DDs wedge type coil field showed a strength of the DDs along with their ability to handle mineralized soils better. The 15000 came onto the scene in around the mid 80s.

• Like 1

I thought the Garretts 1979 model Deepseeker ADS 7.5" coil was a DD coil that was used to pinpoint our targets. Found this link from 1982 but they don't mention DD coils. Good read for how it was back then with the advertising.😀       

...........LINK 1982...........

• Like 1
6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

I thought the Garretts 1979 model Deepseeker ADS 7.5" coil was a DD coil that was used to pinpoint our targets. Found this link from 1982 but they don't mention DD coils. Good read for how it was back then with the advertising.😀       

...........LINK 1982...........

You and I think alike, Geof.  Before my initial post I looked in Charles Garrett's 1985 The Advanced Handbook on Modern Metal Detectors and there is an entire chapter there on searchcoils, but I could only find mono (for BFO's and PI's), coplanar, and coaxial.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Have you modded a detector or a coil over the years to make it perform better than the manufacturer intended?  Did you get good results?  I just did a search on this forum and found 168 hits for modded.  What is your favorite mod?
    • By dogodog
      Wow I can't believe I got out yesterday to dig. It seems like work and the stress of things in 2020 took a toll on my detecting experiences for quite a while. I wanted a new coil for the MK and saw a post Kac made about the Nel Superfly, So I said what the heck I'll give it a try. This coil is 6 grams lighter than my 9 inch. I must say this coil is amazing!!! great depth and way better separation. So I went to give it a spin on a site I hunt that has some modern and 18th century history to it. (ball fields and farm fields). I swung for about 5 hours in the 35 degree weather, and found a bunch of coins,(1941 penny, 46 nickle) shot shells, suspender clip, fishing reel, and a fragmented old bell. I wish the bell was whole, because it was about 2'' in dia. The reel perplexes me because of the lack of water in the middle of a 20 acre field. Overall I had a really nice trip out, I was starting to forget how detecting can clear your mind. 
      PS Joe D can you please send some of the Florida warmth up here to PA. 

• By hochmi
      Hi i have one question . Its possible change coil conector ? ( fits AKA coil to Garrett? )
    • By James Ryan
      I've always wrapped the coil wire around the shaft a few inches up from the coil.  But then I saw in a some people mentioning they run the wire straight up the lower shaft then start coiling the wire above that.  Someone mentioned the reason he does this is because of the magnetic field and possible interference wrapping it shortly above the coil.  I have only been detecting about 7 years and always trying to learn more.  Any advise/suggestions ect. on this would be great and thanks in advance.
    • By Al F
      I’ve been dithering on the 15 inch coil for my Noxy 600.... I mostly do beaches here in So Calif..... I’ve been doing ok with the 11 inch that came with, but am not sure if the 15 in her would be an advantage..... what are your thoughts? ? ?
    • By Sun-Boy
      Hi Folks, I'm developing a new VLF analog prototype detector and am using a concentric coil I've seen in the book "Inside the Metal Detector", it has the TX coil in the center with upper and lower RX coils that are balanced. So I have some questions for you experienced folks: Does anyone know if this style of coil is still used? If not, does anyone know why it fell out of favor? Any pro's and con's? Thanks for your help, I'm considering showing some of the pic's as I progress, I have the next revision pcb on order, we'll see how it goes.