Misadventures In Baja 2021

Condor

Baha is one of the places I've wanted to explore, but I've been warned of more than normal corruption.  Sorry you had to experience someone else's misery, but better them than you.  The toughest part is realizing it could have been you and so now that seed has been planted in your head for that area, which is usually a turn off of future visits.  It's a shame as the gold you shared in the pics is pretty good looking stuff.

The Ram pics is cool as well.  Thanks for sharing and showing.

• Like 1

Been going down to Baja for over 40 years,  fishing , diving, exploring and in recently  prospecting.  There is a lot of gold in  Baja,  especially the central peninsula region.  Big nuggets  too  as much of the geology is made up of mineralized quartz reefs and schist.  I've seen a specimen the size of a  basketball,  huge chunk of quartz marbled through with over a dozen ounces of gold.   It was found by a prospector friend of mine who lives down there part time and has been very successful over the years. There are a  handful of American prospectors  in Baja swinging detectors and finding lots of gold. Part of their success is knowing how to stay off the radar and blend in........so to speak

This type of prospecting isn't for most, as the dangers in Baja are many and I'm not just talking about desert survival.  Violent crime and high value theft,  once rare in Mexico,  is becoming much more common.  Never bring anything down you can't afford to loose.  Speaking the language helps a lot especially if in a tricky situation. Having a Mexican prospecting partner or being married to a Mexican national is the best form of insurance to keep one out of trouble.  

This is a land of isolation, danger, adventure and raw natural beauty. And for that special breed of rugged intrepid prospector..........high risk stakes for the very real chance to find large  gold nuggets

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1