Ever Regret Buying A Detector?

XP Orx not because of anything other than it performed really poorly in my area and the type of hunting I do. I did hate that stupid coil charging clip but that had nothing to do with dumping it. Stupid clip...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to revise my first thoughts that there was one detector that I regretted buying and traded/sold soon after I bought it and that was the Garrett ATX. I thought the build quality was poor (cheap battery holders) that broke easily if dropped...the cam locks were a tough to operate and easily gummed up. ...I did not like the tones and it was a tank. I also bought my wife a Garrett AT gold..she loved using it with the speaker...there was no volume adjustment on the machine only the headphones so it was always loud s heck...thankfully the speaker broke soon after we bought it and I did not send it in to be repaired. Trying to connect the headphones to the machine was difficult with my fat clumsy fingers...It was about that time when I discovered Minelab's stable of machines and have never looked back. 

strick

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Absolutely the Nokta Simplex+, great features and build quality but the worst performance detector I own in my soils for my needs, I realize many will disagree as it may suit their needs but its rubbish in mild soils on deep targets, everything is iron, absolutely everything.  My Garrett Ace 300i runs circles around it.   It may suit many people but it absolutely does not suit me.  My worst purchase so far.

Next up regrettably is the Teknetics T2, it's fine, good quality product, great to swing, but at the time I bought it there were far better options available, reading dated reviews as a new comer isn't a good idea, glowing reviews but reading old reviews doesn't work out well, my fault.  Paid so much for it I could have had a far better modern detector for it's price.  Stupidly bought a second one, at least it was second hand and a better price and the newer model..... Mainly because I bought coils for the first one and I didn't want to throw away the money on them too, great coils, especially the Mars Tiger.   Still, a deep enough detector but suffers from what I call Simplex syndrome, deep targets are often falling down towards iron, just not as bad as the Simplex.

Next up is my first detector,  the Go-Find 40, far too basic and far to easy to grow out of, works well enough but life without target ID's isn't a life I want to live looking for coins, quickly replaced.

All other detectors I'm happy enough with the purchase, each have their flaws and benefits, most are not needed or used though as there are generally better options. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Next up is my first detector,  the Go-Find 40, far too basic and far to easy to grow out of, works well enough but life without target ID's isn't a life I want to live looking for coins, quickly replaced.

Look where it got you!

Far better too basic than overwhelmed and disgusted.  You could have missed all the additional purchase fun.

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

You really should of stepped up to the Go-Find 60🙂 You could link it to your phone🙄 The 60 was a pinball machine display wise, distracting. Sold that one very soon.

• Haha 1

I have to reply to this topic… I got one of the first batch of MX Sport that Gerry got in. After a couple of weeks I could tell it wasn’t working right. Gerry even warned me about it. Whites ended up replacing that detector three times and the 13” coil five times in two years. I have no idea what I missed when the unit was working poorly. Even then it paid for itself in clad multiple times in two years, plus the gold and silver. But I still regret not listening to Gerry and getting rid of the unit when I could. It was a pain in the butt.

Then the NOX showed up, and everything else is history.

• Like 2

The only 2 that spring to mind that disappointed me so much that I sold them post-haste were the Garrett ATX and the QED. I was suffering from a shoulder condition for a couple years (only later did I find out that my left shoulder Bursa was severely calcified and had mangled a lot of muscle around it) and using the ATX was the last straw....it was so bulky, heavy and clunky that it aggravated my injury to the point that I had to give away heavy PI detectors for 3 whole years. I liked the idea of a light-weight Aussie made PI (the QED) and in theory sounded awesome. The finicky nature of the set up at each new location and the lack of ground tracking made it a non starter. I found gold with both machines but both detectors had serious drawbacks.

I then went back to lightweight high frequency VLF detectors and focused on low mineralization dirt and got several thousand pieces of gold for my trouble....so I suppose these 2 detectors steered me in a positive direction after all....

• Like 1

I am going to say yes to the question, I have one that I absolutely did not like, most likely was my fault but it was the vary first detector I purchased the AT PRO me and it just never did mesh together purchased it the first year it came out and I used it for about 4 months and sat it in the corner and went and purchased a Xterra 705 which I absolutely loved, and I know there are many that will not agree and say I was crazy to not give the ATP a chance but I just never did mesh with the ATP, I do still have the ATP but I have donated it to Terry Solomans Veterans cause, if he can ever get someone to come and get it

• Like 1

One that I can remember> Fisher CZ-21. Not sure what language that detector was speaking. 

All of the other current ones> Excaliber, MDT 8000. All preformed as expected but not the best choice for my location. 

Deus 2> Verdict still unsure. Need more time on it.