Waiting For New Detectors

Times sure have changed. Used to be the first I knew of a new detector model was when I got the latest magazine and saw the ad. The dealers had them by the time the ad hit the street. Or the new product catalog came out for the new year and it was loaded with new models. Sometimes entire lineups changed overnight.

Now we get leaks on the Internet. Fisher F19, Minelab SDC 2300, Tesoro Cazador, and the top secret White's SPP. Models are leaked way ahead of release, often with the vaguest of information. On one hand this breeds excitement and speculation but I suspect for most like myself it is just frustrating.

Do you like advance notice? Or do you prefer not to know about something until you can actually lay hands on it?

I'll bet that studies have been done that show better sales come from pre-release gossip.

Everyone is doing it like you said...Fisher, Minelab, Tesoro, Whites.

If a new model was kept secret until it was stocked on store shelves, where would everyone go to get the lastest gossip / info? It would be months after the first sales before anyone could get any feedback. Whose going to pull the trigger on a mysterious new model and risk being a Beta Tester?

I do believe that 30-60 days prior to release is more than enough time to generate gossip from pre-release info. Any more than that, they're just frustrating their potential buyers.

Bob

Personally, I don't buy a detector very often, but it sure is fun to watch all the hype. I was in a local mining shop this morning. A customer walked in and headed for the detector display. Then he asked why they did not have a new ATX for sale. His comment when he found out the dealer only sold White's was that the ATX is now the worlds best detector and put all the rest to shame. I asked him where he got his info from.. He said it was common knowledge across the internet and that he heard that the Minelab engineers were jumping ship and heading over to Garret. Steve, there is so much hype out there now it is crazy......Same guy told me that the ATX will hands down beat any Minelab or Whites on any nuggets. I asked him what some of his ATX finds were and he told me he did not have one nor had he ever even used one, or even a Minelab.......like I said there is just way to much hype out there, but sure is fun to watch and listen to.

Kunker

The first detector I had came from a kit I got 66. Now I can't say it work great but it did work. The next one was from White's and it was a BFO but a great detector for the time.

Steve

Like said a picture is worth a thousand works. Some things I don't like about the SDC 2300 and it's not out yet. The ATX at first I said I was going to buy one but now I'm almost to the point of saying  no to it.

Two things with the SDC 2300 I don't like. The first is the fixed coil ( hard wired ). The second is way the coil is off set from the shaft. .May be a third and that's the C battery power.

The ATX would be better to have a carbon fiber shaft. I just don't like that plastic shaft at all and the cost to change from one coil to another is too much.

The one thing I like about both is the case and the straight shaft.  

Chuck Anders

My mistake but I still don't like it. I've never had a ATX in my hands but just going on what I see.

Chuck Anders

ghansen

If you swing  and buy detectors it's going to happen to you. I done that when I got my 3500 and I was so happy but three or four months later here comes the 4000. There is a law that covers this. I'm not sure just what it is. This may be it Pie R sq. no pie round cornbread sq. That was not my first time that something like that has happen to me.

The best to you and come back again.

Chuck Anders

PS What are you swinging now ?