Sign in to follow this  
Dave.H

Initial Settings For My New Equinox 800

Well, as a XP Deus user for 5 years, and loving using this machine, I've came to the conclusion ( solely on reading this forum),,,, I'm definitely purchasing a Equinox 800!

Having read the user manual listed here for the Equinox, several times,,, before even purchasing the 800, I've made a note of my initial settings!..... ( UK land searching, mainly Roman & medieval sites)....

Here goes!

Field 2

Multi frequency 

2 tone

Recovery speed 6

Ground Balance = auto 

Noise Cancel = auto

Sensitivity = 20/22

Discrimination = 0. ( back from factory preset of 2)

Iron Bias = 0

Rest of settings,,,,, factory presets , till used for at least 30 hours!

PS , I've been detecting for 30 years,,,,,, honestly I can say I've never been so excited about purchasing a new detector, as this one!

Good luck, and happy hunting to all users of the Equinox!

Regards.

Dave

• Like 3

Look forward to your future commentary Dave.

5 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Look forward to your future commentary Dave.

Thanks David,

Certainly will give feedback to you all, here from the UK.

Is the ground very mineralized?  I have not had to use the ground balance feature on my 3030 in Ohio, Maine, or FL hunts.  I would try a full on hunt with just stock field settings before messing about with the detector.  I think deviating too far from stock settings can create unwanted frustration.  I cant wait to see what you pull out of the ground!

2 minutes ago, Vez said:

Is the ground very mineralized?  I have not had to use the ground balance feature on my 3030 in Ohio, Maine, or FL hunts.  I would try a full on hunt with just stock field settings before messing about with the detector.  I think deviating too far from stock settings can create unwanted frustration.  I cant wait to see what you pull out of the ground!

Hi there Vez,

here in the U.K., I experience some difficult ground i.e. Searching a Roman site for example, 

I totally agree with you using the factory's stock settings, ( until a least we become familiar with the Equinox),,,as you can see I'm only diverting slightly from the stock settings!

Dave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave.H said:

Hi there Vez,

here in the U.K., I experience some difficult ground i.e. Searching a Roman site for example, 

I totally agree with you using the factory's stock settings, ( until a least we become familiar with the Equinox),,,as you can see I'm only diverting slightly from the stock settings!

Dave.

It actually looks spot on to field 1!  I would mess with that one rather than get rid of the 50 tone in field two.  I cant wait to try out 50 tone.  But I am just concerned with the auto ground balance as the manual has warned that it can slow down machine performance.  I wont be able to bounce setting ideas off of you for some time as I am number 62 on the waiting list with my dealer.  Cant wait to see what works for you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By PPP
      I hunt in salt water waste deep with both Garrett sea hunter(big coil) and Equinox .was disappointed about the depth i get with the Equinox compared to sea hunter.It does't even touch the depth i get with the sea hunter.It finds of course small stuff which sea hunter doesn't see at all but the depth is lacking.Don't know if i have to sell the Equinox or not,any help?
    • By canoe
      Thanks to Chase Goldman for telling me about the Equinox. Looks darn good to me, have read a number of reviews. Will order one today.
    • By GB_Amateur
      As mentioned previously, after rereading Dick Stout's Coin Hunting... In Depth book over the holidays I took his advice and stepped away from my standard sites to find new ones.  It seems to be working (thanks, Dick).  Statistics on that later in this post.  Last week I went to one of those 'new sites', a century old park, and in the first 2 hours I found 83 cents in modern coins searching along a road and around a crushed stone parking lot that had previously produced only one old coin -- a beat up Wartime nickel ('Warnick').  I decided to move to a picnic area for the last hour, and as you can see in the picture, I was rewarded.  (Sorry for the overexposure on the Warnick.)

One of the Buffies showed up first, about 5-6 inches.  Next was the Merc at 4-5 inches.  The other two nickels followed (neither more than about 4 inches deep) and the big surprise was the Indian Head, also only about 4 inches deep.  My previous Personal Record ('PR') was only two old coins in one day's hunting.  Note that I don't count Wheat pennies in this category.  My single day PR there is 27.  Needless to say I was quite pleased.
      Oh, the 22 cartridge was found next to the above mentioned parking lot on a previous hunt.  Given that it's in a muni park (and we don't have gang problems..., etc.) I assume this was dropped long ago.  It's possible it was dropped after the park opened by a hunter who was getting his gear together after getting out of the car, before exiting the park on foot into the nearby woods.  The lead bullet appears to have 3 rings, one smooth and two serrated (if that's the correct word).  Can anyone put an age on this?  It was oriented vertically about 6 inches deep and sounded as sweet as any silver dime I've ever found, with the TID centered around 27.  Except for the 'P' on the back of the Warnick, there is no mintmark on any of the other coins.  The IH is 1903 and the Buffie dates are only partially visible.  I think one is 1916 and the other 1924.  None of these is scarce, but they still get counted in my 'other old coin' category.
      A little about the park.  As I mentioned it was established over a century ago.  I knew of its existence but figured so did every coin hunter within 100 miles.  Surely there was nothing left for me....  But another thing I've learned is that there is no such thing as "hunted out".  I've put 52 1/2 hours into hunting this park so far (all in 2020) and there's still more uncovered area awaiting.  Here are some numbers to mull over:  my 'other old coin' finds per hour is 0.27 for this site compared to 0.08 for all other hunted sites since beginning of 2017.  8 of the 14 finds are nickels.  Meanwhile Wheat pennies recovered per hour is 0.21, compared to 0.26/hr for all other sites starting in 2017.  And here is a sampling of my trash finds:

These are from 12 1/2 hours of hunting this park.  All but a couple of the ring-and-beavertail pulltabs had Equinox TID's in the modern USA coin regions:  12-14 (nickels) and 19 and above.  If the nickel and pseudo-nickel target ID touches 15 I don't dig.  My custom high tone is 20 and up to make sure I notice Indian Head pennies.  (Note from the photo: I count Zincolns as trash and that's what the pictured discs are.)  The 14-18 region is typically thought of as pulltabs, but those in the photo (exception of a couple r&b's) all sounded and TID'ed like nickels.  The aluminum screwcaps TID 21-23.  Crown caps can be in both nickel zone and Zincoln zone (elsewhere, too), depending upon composition.  I did dig more trash than this, mostly can slaw but also some aluminum foil and the usual few bent nails, square nails, copper wire, etc.  This park is absolutely loaded with the old pulltabs, and the broken off beavertails are the worst.  It got to where I was requiring the TID to at least flash a 13 for me to dig 'nickels', and still you see what I pull out.  Unfortunately I later dug a pure 12 and it was a nickel.  😪  I wonder how many of those I left in the ground.
      If you're still here I hope you don't mind one more statistic:  for common coins of denomination 25 cents and less (so not counting Wheaties or other old coins, but including Zincolns), the fraction of nickels among common coins since beginning of 2017 (but not counting this site) is 15%.  At this site (again, not counting the eight old nickels) is 26%.
      In summary, I'm finding a lot of old coins compared to my other sites, but not more Wheaties.  I'm finding a lot more nickels (relative to other coins) than my other sites.  I'm finding tons of pulltabs in the nickel zone.  How does all this tie together?  Simple:  the site has been hunted by detectorists cherry picking the high conductors and ignoring the nickels because they don't want to dig pulltabs.  Of course they missed some Indian Heads (probably didn't want to be bothered with Zincolns either) and a few silver dimes.  Hopefully I'll find a higher denomination silver coin, but even if I don't I'm happy with the oldies that have been showing up.
    • By Bash
      After a bit of a drought of finding cool coins with the Equinox, I found another V nickel detecting in the neighbors parking strip in between thunderstorms.  It was pretty worn and pitted, and not of any numismatic value, so I cleaned it up a bit.

• By Ridge Runner
      I find myself waiting again for something new they call Apex .
       I had been thinking about buying the Vanquish 540 pro pack but about the time I was going to pull the trigger on it another toy pops up. The trouble is I can’t have it today and not even tomorrow. Just like always I find myself in line waiting on something or someone.
       Well I’m not standing in line for nothing anymore.
       I’ve had a Nox 800 but sold it and I’m still kicking my butt for doing that . I had a detector that out shined all others and like said stupid sold it.
       Enough is enough so I called Rob and ordered a Nox 800 , 6” coil with a extra lower shaft and a MI 6 XP Pinpointer for my ORX .
       I ordered this just this past Monday and by 6 the next morning the check was in the mail. 
      I wish all of you the best that’s waiting on the Apex. Just mark me off that waiting list . Chuck