I took my Whites TDI SL with both the stock 7.5" dual field coil and the 8"x6" NUgget Finder coil, as well as my Minelab GM 1000 out and tried them on some small 1.7 grain and 7.4 grain pieces of lead i use for testing. The minelab found both easily and at over 2" on the small one. The Whites wouldn't pick up either one with either coil. I am liking the Monster more and more. But was wondering? Should the Whites do better than it did?

No surprises there.The TDI like many PI detectors is weak on tiny gold that a hot VLF will hit. On the flip side a hot VLF will hit hot rocks and struggle on ground a TDI will handle with ease.

The SDC 2300 can meet or exceed many VLFs in the small gold department, especially in bad ground, but it costs three times what a TDI SL does.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.

Yea, i knew the Monster was hot on the small stuff but i really thought the TDI SL would at least hit on the 7.4 gr. piece. Ohh well, it will be fine for larger deeper stuff that the Monster don't hit on.

Rod

What you have is the early model of the Sadie coil. I had one I let go with a 4500 but done some testing on my SPP before it went. It had more sensitivity than the smallest folded eight that I’m thinking about selling. I have yet had the opportunity to use in the field.

Chuck

Hi Rod, I have to agree with what Steve said but you do need both detectors. A good quality PI & a high frequency VLF. Having said that though I don't believe you can compare a Whites TDI with a Minelab 4500 in the PI model of detectors. Of course you can compare them but the 4500 with Sadie coil is far better IMHO.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1

I found the same thing when I first got my 4500, it wouldn't of picked up those test bits of lead you were using either.  I was wrongly disappointed with it, putting the little Joey coil on it vastly improved it and now I feel it's not far behind a HF VLF on small gold.  I wouldn't feel I'm missing much at all with it. It now gets really tiny gold but Steve and Kiwijw are right, you really need both a PI and an HF VLF if you want to clean up entirely as both have their benefits.  You are spot on to like your Monster though, it's a great machine 🙂

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate them.

• Like 2

For small gold,  you cant go wrong with a  2300. 

Handles mineralization like a champ and nice depth . And the less mineralized the ground, the more depth you will see. 

Great detector in both ground conditions.

This was some sdc bedrock gold missed by my 5000 running an 8x6 coil.

As Steve said , it  basically meets a vlf in the small gold department.

placer.jpg

• Like 5

Nice Gold Wes. Yep, the SDC would be nice to have too.

• Like 1

Nice finds Wes.👍  Gosh.... I am amazed the 5000 & Sadie coil didn't get some of those. I have to wonder if you had the optimum settings dialed in on your 5000 for the conditions. From Minelabs point of view the 2300 is inturnaly set to pretty hot settings that can't be" fiddled" with by the operator making it pretty churpy, except for the sensitivity levels. I am  a bit ignorant of American coin size but some/most of those don't look too shabby a size to me compared to the small bits I get with my Zed & its 14" coil. From my experiences with the 2300 I will button my lip on commenting :unsure:. It is really not fair to compare a PI with a VLF. That is how this thread started with Rod commenting on comparing the TDI with the Gold monster. They both have there individual places of use where each will out shine the other. Fact is, you will benefit immensely by having both. The GM will find tiny gold, as will the Equinox 800, but it comes down to how hot you can run it for your ground conditions & how deep the tiny gold is. Gold is gold no matter its size & it is all lovely & is a joy to be out there trying to find it. 

Best of luck to you all out there.

JW :smile:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Here is the blurb from the White’s website:
      The TDI SL Metal Detector has pulse induction power that provides unbeatable depth and sensitivity in its price range. And now the deal is even better.
      More than a new paint job, this Special Edition features key changes to the TDI platform aimed at serious prospectors. First and foremost, this detector ships with an 8 x 12″ Miner John Designs Folded Mono search coil. This choice was made to give gold prospectors better depth on large nuggets, but also increased sensitivity to small specimen gold that other pulse machines might miss. We also swapped the intermediate and lower shafts to create a streamlined “straight shaft” configuration preferred by gold hunters. Finally, to top it all off we revamped the control box with a desert tan paint scheme ideal for hot environments.
      This package is offered for a limited time and at a discounted price. And best of all the detector and coil are Made in America.
      The rechargeable NIMH battery lasts up to 6 hours, and a backup AA battery back will power all-day exploration. At a weight of only 3.3 lbs, and rugged metal construction, this Special Edition TDI SL is ready for serious prospecting. Are you?
      If you already have the TDI and just want to buy this awesome coil, please visit Miner John’s website.
      Download Product Manual
      SKU: 800-0332-MJD MSRP $1099.95

White's TDI SL Special Edition metal detector for gold prospecting

White's TDI SL Special Edition studip photo

White's TDI SL Special Edition close up of controls

White's TDI SL Special Edition close up of Miner John Folded Mono Coil
    • By Mark Gillespie
      Wish list is one that will ignore nails and still hit on the deep silver.
      I tried the same gold experiment (gold ring with nails on top) with my TDI and it will detect a gold ring surrounded by nails.

Manta iron and nails

[www.youtube.com]

TDI iron and nails

• By phrunt
      So, I was out detecting with John (kiwijw) yesterday however that's another story, my Gold Monster was put in the car the night before, we got down quite cold overnight, I think it was -6 but my car was in the garage so I guess it got down to about 0 in the car, then in the morning I jumped in my car and John and I went to a spot to do a bit of gold prospecting.  I found a nice sounding target with my GPX and dug it up but couldn't for the life of me find it, so I went and got my GM1000 and used that to pinpoint the target and recover it, it was just a shutgun pellet, but it was very muddy where I did it and I was sure I had mud under my coil cover so I thought I'd pop it off to take a look as I was right at a creek and figured I'd rinse it off as I wasn't intending on using the Monster the rest of the day so I was going to break it down to put in my backpack rather than leave it lying around as I wander off detecting.
      During the process of popping it off pressing my finger onto the coil caused it to crack, a big crack too... I'm not sure if it was because of the cold the night before causing the plastic to go brittle or a fault with the plastic but surely it shouldn't crack pressing on it to get the coil cover off.
      I've sent Minelab Service an email asking if they're going to cover it under warranty. I think they should, it's hardly any sort of mistreatment however they can probably try get out of it as they could say its some sort of physical damage.  This will be a test as to how good their service is.
      This is the second issue I've had with my Monster, the first was the speaker on it failed, repaired under warranty although Minelab doesn't cover shipping costs in NZ like USA.

• By PG-Prospecting
      Finally found my fist Virginia picker with the GM 1000 on the private land that i have access too!  This is my first piece of detected gold from here.  Ive found lots of nuggets dredging the creek but nuggets have eluded my detecting efforts.  
      I found this one in a small feeder creek.  I have since detected most of the feeder and found nothing else.  I still have yet to find any pickers or nuggets outside the creek at this location which is frustrating to say the least.  I also run a GPX4800 outside the creek but no dice still.  Up to 12 gram nuggets found dredging in the creek but nothing outside of it.  One of these days lol.  

• By Mxt Sniper
      I was just wondering if there was any plans of aftermarket coils being produced for the Minelab GM1000? I can think of a couple reasons why they would be welcomed. The coils seem to be impact sensitive, and the coils do not have good edge sensitivity. Am also wondering if a concentric coil can be built to work on the gm1000? I tend to prefer concentric coils over dd's for vlf nugget detecting.