Small Target Comparison Test

I took my Whites TDI SL with both the stock 7.5" dual field coil and the 8"x6" NUgget Finder coil, as well as my Minelab GM 1000 out and tried them on some small 1.7 grain and 7.4 grain pieces of lead i use for testing. The minelab found both easily and at over 2" on the small one. The Whites wouldn't pick up either one with either coil. I am liking the Monster more and more. But was wondering? Should the Whites do better than it did?

• The title was changed to Small Target Comparison Test

No surprises there.The TDI like many PI detectors is weak on tiny gold that a hot VLF will hit. On the flip side a hot VLF will hit hot rocks and struggle on ground a TDI will handle with ease.

The SDC 2300 can meet or exceed many VLFs in the small gold department, especially in bad ground, but it costs three times what a TDI SL does.

Thanks Steve.

Yea, i knew the Monster was hot on the small stuff but i really thought the TDI SL would at least hit on the 7.4 gr. piece. Ohh well, it will be fine for larger deeper stuff that the Monster don't hit on.

Rod

What you have is the early model of the Sadie coil. I had one I let go with a 4500 but done some testing on my SPP before it went. It had more sensitivity than the smallest folded eight that I’m thinking about selling. I have yet had the opportunity to use in the field.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate them.

• Like 1

For small gold,  you cant go wrong with a  2300. 

Handles mineralization like a champ and nice depth . And the less mineralized the ground, the more depth you will see. 

Great detector in both ground conditions.

This was some sdc bedrock gold missed by my 5000 running an 8x6 coil.

As Steve said , it  basically meets a vlf in the small gold department.

placer.jpg

• Like 4

Nice Gold Wes. Yep, the SDC would be nice to have too.

• Like 1

Kiwi, Myself and a bunch of the guys I hunt with  switched to the 2300 for small gold. I will tell you a lot of gold was missed by the gpx series. Why, I dont know, but probably something to do with a fast decay rate of the electric field in certain shapes of nuggets. I know the balance and feel of the detector is really goofy and not the most pleasant to swing, but the electronics pick up where the 5000 left off.  Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your  2300.  Ive used minelabs since the 3k, including the 7k, and will say the 2300 holds its ground as a top gun. Anyway I always enjoy reading your posts, just my opinions here.

• Like 2

My experience with the Sadie 8x6 coil on the GPX 5000 is that in general, you were very lucky to get anything less than .2grams even when touching it.  But ... the Sadie had phenomenal depth on everything larger in size.  It really amazed me in this respect.  So it definitely still has a place.