Nolan-GA

AT Pro - Coil Cable Causes Tone When Bumped Close To Connector

I have had a Garrett ACE 250 for several years and just bought a very slightly used Garrett AT Pro a week ago.  A couple of times I did not get any sound when first turned on but after wiggling the coil cable it started giving tones again.  On occasion it has suddenly started chattering with almost no movement and I have done a reset and it corrected the problem.  My main issue right now is that if I bump the coil cable close to the connector I get a tone every time.  I have removed and re-inserted the connector twice making sure it is fully inserted but still get the tones.  I have made sure its not the connector itself.  I don't have another coil for the AT Pro to swap out.  I texted the previous owner to find out when he purchased it hoping it was less than the 24 month warranty that Garrett has.  Wondering how strict Garrett is on fixing issues like this or replacing a coil with a bad cable if I was not the original purchaser.  Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Firstly, welcome to the forum,

It sounds like a bad connection to me, are the coil connectors clean with no discoloration? It's worth cleaning them anyway just to be sure as most issues aren't visible to the naked eye.  With it being a waterproof detector maybe salt water has done a bit of damage to them.  Do you have any alcohol to clean them with? Something like isopropyl alcohol would be best, methylayed spirits is OK if it's all you've got but don't go overboard with using it.  Use a toothbrush or cotton tip to give them a clean on the male pins.

It's not going to be as easy to clean the female end but put the alcohol on the male end and push the plug in and out a number of times, keep adding drops of the alcohol to the male end and push it in and out until the alcohol dries up, then do it again.  Wait 10 minutes or so after the cleaning before testing the results to ensure it's all dried up as 70% alcohol will take longer than 99% which is very fast.

Hopefully it's not a solder connection on the inside of the coil terminal as that would require a trip to the manufacturer to fix on a waterproof unit.

I hope someone else has more information on how Garrett handle such situations for you.  It may not be the coil and be the detector itself, maybe try find someone near you with a Coil to test on it, maybe even a Garrett dealer would let you connect a coil to it for a bit to see how it goes.

Sounds like cable shielding issues, as phrunt mentioned it could be either the cable connector or female socket in the housing.  Seems to be a common issue, used to have the same problem with the Infinium coil cable plugs with the same style of connectors.  Also check that none of the pins are bent or cracked and align properly with the socket.

If the connector doesn't have any play or wiggle to it then it could be dirty connecter pins. If you can find a bit of lithium dielectric grease you could put some on the pins.

Good chance the machine was in the salt and some salt got on the connector.

When I rewired a boat I had I used that grease and it works awesome.

Garrett is really good on repairs so giving them a holler if that doesn't work won't hurt.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I haven't had much time to work on it but I looked at the pins and connector again and everything looks brand new.  It continues to not give any tones or display indications when first turned on after sitting or a day or 2 until I jiggle the coil cable. According to the previous owner he only used it a few hours and never in water.  It looks basically new.  He said it was his first detector so I am wondering if the issues I am experiencing caused him to sell it.  I decided to call Garrett as suggested by Kac and they said it was never registered and it was 2-3 months past its warranty going by the date it was made.  Garrett is sending me a slightly used replacement coil they said was used in some videos at no charge.  Hopefully I will get it this coming week.  I'll keep you posted. 

Thanks again!

• Like 3

That's awesome service by Garrett.

Garrett really stepped up to the plate on that issue trying to help you. The good news is that you can get coils from other manufacturers for the AT Pro if you want to. 

• Like 1