I Bit The Bullet And Went With Whites 24k

5 hours ago, Busho said:

Hi mate. That's interesting to hear about those hot rocks. What are they composed of that makes them such a pain? How do VLFs go, any way around them using those? There must be quite a lot of good gold in those areas being masked by those things.

They are almost black ironstone some even ring up same as lead and gold here .I'm on the westcoast so most of my detecting is upper creek beds in the bedrock or where slips come down  and you can detect and rake the layers down  .its completely differnt to the open aussie or even some of the queenstown stuff unless your lucky enough to have q pole around on someone's big open cast  claim .as for the hot rocks all depends on how many you come accross the pain in the but thing is normaly they are super heavey so they tend to fall where the gold does .. I found with the nox800 you could get a feel for target I'd and ignore them but you risk small or deep gold going missed ... on the plus side you can generally use them to locate pay streaks as you find where they drop out or are and the gold isnt far away I'll show a demo of thos in my video also 

• Like 2

I had lots of trouble with HR in Canada last year. My SDC2300 went nuts. I took 4 rocks back home. I got me a Nox 800 and those HR regiser at -8 / -9. I do not expect too much trouble next time I go back to the place. I might lose some depth on Gold and maybe a small picker too but the machine will work. I was looking for an option to battle those tons of HR and for me the key to it is the Nox 800. Looking forward hearing about your testing results.

9 hours ago, Andyy said:

Only way I have seen VLF's get around the hot rocks seen by PI's is to run in discriminate, which loses you a lot of depth.  That is why I play rock soccer.  Problem solved. :cool:

??yea these buggers would break ya foot... mines more like pick up 52 ... pick up 52 hot rocks so I can detect the area 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Busho said:

Hi mate. That's interesting to hear about those hot rocks. What are they composed of that makes them such a pain? How do VLFs go, any way around them using those? There must be quite a lot of good gold in those areas being masked by those things.

Hi Busho. The Otago hot rocks react just as badly to VLFs. In the hydraulic  sluicing mines just outside of Bannockburn a VLF detector will react with them every few seconds. Most are below the surface and will need digging. Only very few are visible! These hot rocks are water worn and are a very dull black color. They are most noticeably, very heavy. There are a lot in the rivers as well as everywhere else. Anyone who detects for gold in the Lakes District will come across them as soon as they start detecting. They must be masking gold, although, most of the Lakes District gold is too deep for any current detector to detect!  You have to detect bedrock to get Lakes District gold, and the only exposed bedrock is on stream banks where you dig out crevices, like nugget hunter nz does on the West Coast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thomasbracken said:

Hi Busho. The Otago hot rocks react just as badly to VLFs. In the hydraulic  sluicing mines just outside of Bannockburn a VLF detector will react with them every few seconds. Most are below the surface and will need digging. Only very few are visible! These hot rocks are water worn and are a very dull black color. They are most noticeably, very heavy. There are a lot in the rivers as well as everywhere else. Anyone who detects for gold in the Lakes District will come across them as soon as they start detecting. They must be masking gold, although, most of the Lakes District gold is too deep for any current detector to detect!  You have to detect bedrock to get Lakes District gold, and the only exposed bedrock is on stream banks where you dig out crevices, like nugget hunter nz does on the West Coast.

Ah, ok, thanks for that. Such vastly looking different country to here. Our grounds highly mineralised where I am but rarely do hotrocks become an issue. You get them of course but nowhere I have been or found is undetectable with my 5000 and mono coil. Thank goodness for that. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 1:58 PM, phrunt said:

I think near impossible is an exaggeration, they are troublesome but can be dealt with, usually just with a kick of the foot to clear all the surface rocks.  In some places like where I've been detecting the past few weekends they've been causing me a lot of grief as they're below the ground as well as on top.

They're usually green from what I've seen and VLF's get around them with their VDI numbers showing a strong iron signal.

I honestly think the 24k would be a great machine for in NZ, it's just a shame we don't have a local dealer.  It would be a tough battle between the Equinox, GM1000 and 24k.  Out of the Equinox and GM1000 I can't work out which is best that's for sure.  If any of the three was to be better than the others it really would have to exceed the others by a fair margin or else it would just be a pretty loose opinion as the Equinox and GM are so closely matched.

Yea agree I loved the nox with the 6 inch coil the hot rocks normal hit same on vdi in a area then you can tell gold pretty easy with 1 to 16 vdi numbers bigger the bit higher the lower end numbers i could pretty much say what it was before digging when prospecting but will be good to see the whites ... dont be scared to buy from amazon or Ebay it's pretty straight foward these days 

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

AirNZ had $99 tickets each way to Sydney the other day, could of flown there, bought the 24k and flown back for cheaper than getting it shipped, and also then you bypass the GST/Customs Duty as well ?

Yea I was going to buy from oz but was going to be 1496 aud for the detecter with both coils then shipping then customs where I got it from us for 1096 nzd plus 156 nzd fir shipping via usps and be about 250ish for customs so worked out way cheaper