Vanquish Updateable Or Not?

67GTA

I keep toying with the idea of selling the Vanquish and buying the Simplex. Have all the multi-iq I need with the Nox. Ground balance, water proof, and rechargeable. Wonder how the Apex will compete. Might wait to see what Garrett comes out with.

2 hours ago, 67GTA said:

I keep toying with the idea of selling the Vanquish and buying the Simplex. Have all the multi-iq I need with the Nox. Ground balance, water proof, and rechargeable. Wonder how the Apex will compete. Might wait to see what Garrett comes out with.

I would definitely wait and see what Garrett comes up with. The Simplex has these great features, but target ID is a little jumpy and the tones are not necessarily my cup of tea but still a solid design and great value.  Glad Garrett is responding to the competition, guess we'll see what they come up with next month.

I'm hanging on to Vanquish for now because it is lighter than Equinox, like the coils, and think it will be a great casual beach and park detector.

• Like 3

minelab competitors not only garret ace, it has competitors all other manufacturers md with their detectors. I’m not going to change the vanquish, it completely suits me, including I'm not going to change it to the simplex, I tested both simplex and vanquish before buying, and I was much more satisfied with the search characteristics by the vanquish, while the simplex didn’t like me at all I would not have taken it anyway.

And just the firmware that the vanquish really can release can be 2 times better. I thought and decided that it would be ideal to create a soil balance on a user program for heavy mineralized soils, even a fixed one, and even when you press the key again, turn on the second user program with one frequency of 5 kHz. And that's it, the vanquish will be 2 times stronger in search characteristics. I would like to tell all the ideas to the minelab engineers, but I don’t know where to write, maybe I have an email for communication.

1 hour ago, Volf said:

I would like to tell all the ideas to the minelab engineers, but I don’t know where to write, maybe I have an email for communication.

Have you tried the Minelab website?

The Vanquish is what it is, and except for possible bug fixes, will not change.

https://www.minelab.com/contact-us

Thank you, I will write with wishes to create, on the basis of a user program, a single-frequency 5kHz for heavy soils. I think they can do this, especially if they themselves have confirmed the possibility of updating the firmware, maybe they are waiting for user reviews. Well, if others join in and will also indicate their wishes. In this topic, they are already voiced in full.

I tried to write to these emails
service@minelab.com.au
 service@minelabamericas.com
the letter is not sent, writes - Email rejected due
    to security policies.
Perhaps because I am from another country.

Minelab kindly replied to a few questions I had about (a) Rx coil cable placement on the LHS of the coil and (b) the 'recessed hidden USB slot'

I  assembled my "Vanquish 540"  for first use and had placed the Rx cable to the right hand side and went onto have fabulous performance. It was the second outing I noted the cable mounted on the left on it's shipping carton photos and had perused the online "Instruction Manual", where there 'isn't an actual coil assembly section', and became a tad confused? I also had fabulous performance with the cable on the left so it doesn't appear to make a difference...or does it?

Did they get it 'backwards?'

Attached are 2 shots showing the actual and what 'could have' been if normal coil design protocol had been observed. Have they "found a new way" of coil nulling / balance / winding?

(a) Cable "it was how the engineers designed it"

(b) USB slot: Hi Desi. The VANQUISH 540 USB slot is for charging the rechargeable battery pack. The VANQUISH has no software updates currently available but in the case of any available software updates, you would be able to do so at home.

Rx LHS.jpg

Rx RHS.jpg

• Like 1

Well, it actually doesn't matter at all with a DD coil, but the ML detector logo typically goes on the front side of the coil for those like me with OCD.  Bottom line, ML was correct, but it really works just the same in either orientation as a DD coil is symmetric and the active part of the coil is the area in the center spine where the receive and transmit coils overlap.  It could matter on a detector like the GPX where you can electronically switch the excited windings of a DD coil in order to emulate a mono coil or to put it in noise cancel mode.  Either of these electronically switched variants changes the sensitive "center" of the coil such that the target pinpoint "center" is offset to one side.  Depending on how you have the coil physically oriented can switch the offset from one side to the other from the detectorist's perspective. 

On the Equinox, the cable just happens to connect on the right side of the coil.

SmartSelect_20200421-210637_OneDrive.jpg

SmartSelect_20200421-210901_OneDrive.jpg

I listened to a podcast on Spreaker. This was prior to the launch.  The lady who was the Minelab rep said it was updateable. It was the push I needed to buy one. I beleive the podcast was American Digger magazine Episode playes as a rerun November 25, 2019

https://www.spreaker.com/user/admrr/rerun-debbie-smikoski-of-minelab-talks-a

The update info is short but it is answered towards the end in the Q&A.

• 3 weeks later...