5 Ring Day But No Gold!

I don't usually like to post a hunt unless I find some gold or something really interesting but I think that it is important to share some of the less than spectacular hunts that are more common.

Yesterday I took the BeachHunter out for a spin for my first beach hunt since the pandemic hit. Even though I'm still leery about going out in public I figured that there wouldn't be too many people on the beach at 1 AM in the morning. There weren't but I was a somewhat surprised to bump into 2 other hunters at that early hour. I guess that they were thinking the same thing that I was- get there 2-3 hours before the negative tide and work my way down the slope. 

The beach conditions didn't look too promising judging from some older cuts that had since filled in and sure enough, targets were few and far between. Most of the targets were also lightweight. When the tide retreated I found a deep, small silver ring low on the slope and started to find other rings in the same general area. My headlight went out on me so I couldn't tell if any of them were gold but even when my headlight is working it is often hard to tell in the artificial light. 

IMG_20200621_094228.jpg.7e1b48701cb8b122a598679cb27467bd.jpg

5 rings sounds impressive and I'm happy to get a little silver but I'm about a 45 minute drive from the beach so I didn't cover my gas cost which is kind of my goal every hunt. It may not be realistic but if I average every hunt out this year I am on the good side of things. This may be the fewest number of coins I have found on a hunt this year. 

In hindsight I might have been better off looking for fresh drops in the dry sand with the Equinox. The one hunter I spoke with said that he had a couple of rings including a 14K. Still, it was fun to be on the beach again and finding any ring still gets my heart going. GL&HH!

IMG_20200621_094310.jpg.78d37e33ba9bc08134ef95185bec1033.jpg

Thanks Steve, Don't get me wrong- I like silver too but I LOVE gold! But, I do also LOVE fat silver, designer silver and old silver! 🙂

That would be a winning hunt in my book!

I think i see a small bracelet with pearl on it! And an earring! And a small button thing above it!  What are they? Junk jewelry? Show us all the rings! And i see a large spike, or square nail! What is that?👍👍

A five ring day is good even if there’s no gold. I prefer to dig no gold than dig one that gets your heart going but at the end it sticks to a magnet 😖 Welcome to a true friendly forum and hope you keep sharing your finds here. Good luck on your next outing.

33 minutes ago, The Seeker said:

A five ring day is good even if there’s no gold. I prefer to dig no gold than dig one that gets your heart going but at the end it sticks to a magnet 😖 Welcome to a true friendly forum and hope you keep sharing your finds here. Good luck on your next outing.

Amen to that...Steve keeps the dogs under control for sure..Thank You.

And a very good day, I'm not a silver person but that stuff does add up, and tells me there is a good chance gold is near..

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

That would be a winning hunt in my book!

I think i see a small bracelet with pearl on it! And an earring! And a small button thing above it!  What are they? Junk jewelry? Show us all the rings! And i see a large spike, or square nail! What is that?👍👍

Thanks Joe, Yes, I was teased some more with the chain bracelet, hoop earring and other piece that were all costume jewelry. I think that the large "spike" piece you are referring to is the handle from some needle nose pliers. I find a lot of pliers from people who surf-fish.

1 hour ago, The Seeker said:

Thank you Seeker,  What gets me is when I find a tunsten carbide ring in the dark of night. They feel so heavy and smooth and are found where the gold should be. In this same area I once found 10 rings on each of back-to-back nights- 3 gold and most of the rest blackened silver so I guess I might be just a little spoiled.

41 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Amen to that...Steve keeps the dogs under control for sure..Thank You.

And a very good day, I'm not a silver person but that stuff does add up, and tells me there is a good chance gold is near..

Thanks OBN, I guess I would have felt closer to the gold if the silver rings I found were tarnished or black. They were most likely recent drops. Still, I felt that gold was a possibility which always makes for a more exciting hunt.

37 minutes ago, Compass said:

Thanks OBN, I guess I would have felt closer to the gold if the silver rings I found were tarnished or black. They were most likely recent drops. Still, I felt that gold was a possibility which always makes for a more exciting hunt.

I  went water hunting yesterday and got no  gold but I did get a  no date-s  standing liberty  quarter,a1905 -o barber quarter,1939  merc plus a no date buffalo.I also got a little silver ring.You  don't have to get gold to have a good day.The place was mobbed  with people  but it always has enough room.I used my Nox.