A Little Silver On Family Vacation

Fun family week in North Myrtle Beach.

Detecting started with a lot of soft sand and 4 second wave intervals. Monday had hard rip currents but waves were at 6 seconds; I wanted an 8 inch coil (that I don't have) for reduced pull in the water and not the 10 inch. The hard rip tide did strip a lot of sand off the bottom and the rest of the week there was a couple mile long sand bar out a little ways and a harder bottom cut between the sand bar and the beach. Should have been great conditions in the cut, but it turned out to be a fishing sinkers and sunglasses finding week. I did get one little sterling silver earring, but no real good detecting finds. Had a lot of fun with the grand kids. Friday morning had a life guard ask me to get out of the rip current. Talked with him for a little while. He said he wasn't worried about me but his supervisor had pulled up and their instructions were to keep people out of the rip. I mentioned that today was not bad, Monday was difficult and that I hit the rip areas because the current pulls the soft sand layer back to a harder layer that might give me a chance at good targets. He said he had pulled three people out of the water on Monday. The issue was that if someone is in the rip area, others will follow; including not well monitored kids. He then said that once his supervisor left on her rounds, I could go back in. Nice young man.

Only saw two others detecting the entire week and none of the familiar faces I normally meet when we visit.

Stuff.jpg

Silver.jpg

Are you ever able to get any use/value out of sunglasses?

What is the green stone jewelry piece next to the key fob?  Good report, even though the good finds were mostly absent.

Good report TVR! And glad to see you had a good time. Getting in time with the little guys at the ocean is a great memory, I know they sure had a good time. And glad everyone got home safe...

Bay water has been high here the last few weeks, but the past few days we have had some ok one's .........so maybe you can slip out locally. Good Luck ! 

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are you ever able to get any use/value out of sunglasses?

What is the green stone jewelry piece next to the key fob?  Good report, even though the good finds were mostly absent.

Most sunglasses I recover are badly scratched or get bent or broken when I scoop them. Last year I got a pair of Ray Bans that our eldest daughter claimed and from this trip I got two usable cheap ones that our son-in-law now has. The pile in the picture has one set of Ray Bans with glass lenses and most of the shade coating worn off and the metal frames are pitted. Most sunglasses end up in the trash due to their condition when recovered.

The green "stone" is a cheap mood ring.

38 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Good report TVR! And glad to see you had a good time. Getting in time with the little guys at the ocean is a great memory, I know they sure had a good time. And glad everyone got home safe...

Bay water has been high here the last few weeks, but the past few days we have had some ok one's .........so maybe you can slip out locally. Good Luck ! 

Thanks. Been watching the tides and doing a little local reconnaissance. There have been more people in the water at our community beach than I've seen in several years. New observation is that a lot of kayak activity has people landing on the sandy portions in repeatable patterns to swim before they set off again.  Why people kayak and wear jewelry is a mystery to me, but if they loose it and I find it, I won't complain. We are off to OBX in three weeks. I've got a mosfet ordered for the HHPulse to see if maybe I can get it back up before that trip; although I am still not sure where the yellow wire is supposed to go. 

Most of my local water activity so far this year has been perch and catfish catching for fish fries. I'm hoping for some long strong NNW winds this fall and winter.

• 8 months later...

Enough sunglasses to start a lost and found box!

When hunting in the woods I sometimes find sunglasses and I stick them on the trees at eye level along the trails. People usually find them 🙂