I Give Up, What The Heck Is Zed?

OregonGregg

oor?

I coined the term 'OOR' about fifteen years ago when Tesoro Electronics came out with the 8X9 Concentric to replace models that had been using a round 8" Concentric.  The 8X9 wasn't a pronounced 'elliptical' shape, just kind of an 'Out-of-Round' shape ... 'OOR.'

I used this term occasionally in discussions more in Tesoro groups, but it didn't really catch on with others until I started using the Nokta FORS CoRe last January and Makro Racer in February.  Both of those 'brands' came on the market very impressively and I used the term 'OOR' to refer to their small 4.7X5.2 Out-Of-Round DD coil.  Rather than always type the decimal measured coils size, it was/is much easier to refer to those coils simply as an 'OOR' coil, and I still refer to the Tesoro 8X9 the same way in discussing that brand and coil.

Just one of several terms I have coined since the seventies for test scenarios, search techniques, or setting maneuvers, such as 'Quick-Out' and 'EPR' (for Edge-Pass Rejection) to help audibly and visually classify probable ferrous trash.  I started using 'EPR' in the '70s because it worked well even with the old TR's I used, and later 'Quick-Out' by '82 when we started getting slow-motion/quick-response VLF Disc. models.

'NBPT' (for my Nail Board Performance Test) which is an actual, in-the-field encounter of four iron nails surrounding a US Indian Head 1¢ coin in a very iron nail infested ghost town where the school used to be.

Another I've used an instructed in seminars since 1981 is 'Power Balance' which is a technique to manually Ground Balance for the Discriminate mode (in models that provide that functional ability) so as to have the best ground-handling performance in the Discriminate mode.

The result can be less falsing from a too-negative GB, but more importantly, perhaps, is to retain the best responsiveness from some high-conductive targets like a US Silver Dollar or even Half-Dollar, or a small sample of a possible lost or hidden 'poke' of silver coins.

For example, I have 5 US silver Walking Liberty Half-Dollars stacked on top of a silver Peace Dollar, and these six coins are together in a plastic container.  It represents a possible lost or hidden cloth or leather bag, or glass container, of a few high-conductive coins without any other metal, ferrous or non-ferrous, involved.  You might be surprised how many detectors have very poor performance on this sample, and even more surprising how many are basically non-responsive!

So now if you or other readers should encounter these terms I have coined and used over the past four-and-a-half decades, you might know the source and meaning, just like I am now up on what 'Zed' means.  Thanks!

Monte

• 3 weeks later...

Zed comes from a phonetic alphabet used in radio communications for instance. When giving spellings or such as a call sign, radio operators would use words like alpha=a, bravo=b, Charlie=c etc.so the person on the receiving end could copy the spelling more clearly. When it comes to the letters that end with the eee sound like c,d,e,g,p,t,v,z, over a radio they were hard to tell the difference from one to another. So, they spelled things out with the phonetic alphabet. There are different forms of phonetics. Police have one set, amateur radio operators another and military another but each may contain some of the same phonetic letters as one or more of the others. In amateur radio, the phonetic in America has traditionally been Zulu but, some operators use zed, possibly originating in Australia or the British.