My Grandsons Christmas Present....

This picture is 3 weeks old, I 'm waiting for a today update.

IMG-0019.jpg

My grandson discovered metal detecting "for treasure" on tv. He's watched countless videos of how to and getting big finds and then my son told him I used to detect.

Next step, using my old Whites spectrum in the back yard....he keeps finding stuff I've missed after 15 yrs of "cleaning it out".

This Christmas his parents and I got him a basic set up with all the tools;  pin pointer, shovel and belt with a trash bag. I gotta work on his making a smaller hole and leaving no trace But, damn I'm proud of him.

Good luck on teaching him how to use the detector, but after you missing so many targets I think he has already got a handle on things.

Great job Mike,

I guess I'm going to have to hope for a grandkid(s) to teach! I didn't start back detecting soon enough for my kids to catch the detecting bug! They were too old, and no longer thought i was a cool dad!! 🤣 👍👍

It is great that he has an interest at that age.

My soon to be 3 year old son has been out on the beach with me.  We've also detected one of his playgrounds and his friends grabbed a few coins that I found in the sand but he was ok with it.  I'm anxious to get him out to the desert but he likes the moon so that will be a bigger event for him than what is out there.  We'll get out there in a couple of years.

The one month old will just have to wait his turn.  haha

Mitchel

I started taking my kids detecting with me at an early age but neither one of them took up the hobby. One of them even found a 3 gram white gold band and I thought that they would be "hooked". I think that a passion for treasure hunting is almost something that you have to be born with- something in your DNA.

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It is great that he has an interest at that age.

My soon to be 3 year old son has been out on the beach with me.  We've also detected one of his playgrounds and his friends grabbed a few coins that I found in the sand but he was ok with it.  I'm anxious to get him out to the desert but he likes the moon so that will be a bigger event for him than what is out there.  We'll get out there in a couple of years.

The one month old will just have to wait his turn.  haha

Mitchel

I have fantastic memories with my daughter who I used to take all the time for detecting trips (when she was 8-14). She loved the Barstow and Randsburg area, but also Big Bear. I found my very first nugget together with her up in Holcomb Valley. I will have it put on a neckless and give it to her on her 18th birthday. These shared memories are worth so much more than all the gold I would ever find. 

On 12/28/2020 at 7:30 PM, Mike(swWash) said:

I gotta work on his making a smaller hole and leaving no trace....

When you're done doing that, he can teach me.

Plastic Frisbee, Put a hole in side to tie to clip with string... Glue a Magnet / s from an Old Comp. Harddrive in bottom. They are Strong. put soil / sand in. If any metal the Magnet / s will cath. Then dump back in Hole!  I usually cut around Top plug of grass before digging. flip over, then flip Back. Con'Gratz on the il one! A couple of Finds and Hooked they'll Be!

That's awesome, so much fun and making great memories!

My daughter will be 3 in May, so she's not quite ready, but in a couple of years I'm hoping she'll take to something like this:

mini_hoard_9.jpg