Hot Rock?

Out detecting the other day and had a signal on the Monster that sounded like your typical hot rock but when I dug the hot rock out it didn't look like my typical hot rocks in this area?  So I took the time to flip the rock over and ran the coil over the other side of the rock and the Monster said GOLD!  So after some scraping I see nothing and I'm too busy hunting and throw the rock in my pouch to bust it open later at home.  Needed to go into my pouch for something tonight and found the rock I'd already forgot about and scraped the piss outta it and saw nothing, ran coil over scrapings and the rock and still a gold signal but no sight of gold?  Took rock inside and took the steel wool to it and finally saw the glint of a little gold so proceeded scrubbing cautiously and found the little flake.  This guy almost got away.  Moral of the story...if it sounds like gold you might want to pack it home for a THOROUGH check.....

hot rock.JPG

I once got a 2 oz bit out of an erosion control trench about 50 meters below a mined quartz vein. This was back in the early 1980s and I was using the wife's detector. The nugget was visible in the trench and looked like an 1½ inch steel nut. Her Whites 6000 had motion discrimination my detector did not. I tried the discrimination from min to max and it did not reject. When I pick it up I knew I had a good piece of gold. Back at caravan park I show it to a few professional prospector that I know. All of them said iron junk till I dropped it in their hand. Prior to it acid bath it could be dragged across the table with a super magnet but was unable to lift it up from the table. The gold looked pitted when cleaned and that is it in the photo below bottom right.  

Hand.thumb.jpg.ed80dfbf8b4d88c072d42499fe468115.jpg

5 hours ago, oneguy said:

This guy almost got away. 

Great job on the find!

Good luck on your next outing.

That's some beautiful stuff....!