Just thought I would share my wireless setup for anyone thinking of trying this.  I have used Avantree Saturn Pro (Low Latency) bluetooth Transmitter/receiver and some Camcorder batteries.  I have also got a couple of Lipo batteries from my RC which run the 5000 really well as they keep their voltage for longer.  The leads I made myself with genuine power plugs and a deans RC battery plug and a 1/8 audio jack so as to go straight into bluetooth wireless module.  These little module are very good and are lasting well over the 8 hour mark on a charge, and their size and weight make them very versatile.  The 7200mah pack and wireless module come in at 325 grams with leads included this lasts about 5-6hours I have made up a couple of 3400mah packs with 18650 cells and these weight 180 grams with module and leads and lasts about 3 hours.  I have a 5000mah Lipo hardcase which weight 200 grams with both wires and module, this goes for 7 hours before the low voltage alarm comes.  Lipo batteries aren't for everyone as they can be a little volatile, but I am yet to have one explode and treat them with care when charging with a good lipo charger.post-765-0-87109400-1454978896_thumb.jpgpost-765-0-14800000-1454978905_thumb.jpgpost-765-0-97262400-1454978911_thumb.jpgpost-765-0-38835900-1454978917_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I used that same type of rig on my 3500 except i used Hard pack RC batterys ...used it with a speaker velcro'ed to the case for hands free---now i have TDK wireless...

I have seen the other soft packs burn, and even though it is amazing to watch it isn't too fun if it is your electric bike burning with them....lol

post-420-0-68606900-1454980682_thumb.jpg

Yes I find it very strange with the new small battery that Minelab has come out with did not carry a wireless module, just make it the same RF as the WM10 or WM12 receiver.  They obviously saw the demand for a smaller lighter weight battery so people could free them selves of the wires but no true wireless.  Just gives us a project to work on I suppose.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/9/2016 at 9:01 AM, goldwright said:

Just thought I would share my wireless setup for anyone thinking of trying this.  I have used Avantree Saturn Pro (Low Latency) bluetooth Transmitter/receiver and some Camcorder batteries.  I have also got a couple of Lipo batteries from my RC which run the 5000 really well as they keep their voltage for longer.  The leads I made myself with genuine power plugs and a deans RC battery plug and a 1/8 audio jack so as to go straight into bluetooth wireless module.  These little module are very good and are lasting well over the 8 hour mark on a charge, and their size and weight make them very versatile.  The 7200mah pack and wireless module come in at 325 grams with leads included this lasts about 5-6hours I have made up a couple of 3400mah packs with 18650 cells and these weight 180 grams with module and leads and lasts about 3 hours.  I have a 5000mah Lipo hardcase which weight 200 grams with both wires and module, this goes for 7 hours before the low voltage alarm comes.  Lipo batteries aren't for everyone as they can be a little volatile, but I am yet to have one explode and treat them with care when charging with a good lipo charger.post-765-0-87109400-1454978896_thumb.jpgpost-765-0-14800000-1454978905_thumb.jpgpost-765-0-97262400-1454978911_thumb.jpgpost-765-0-38835900-1454978917_thumb.jpg

I have a set of the avantree now and would like to make a couple of leads like those.

Can you help a poor old yank out???

• 5 years later...

The good old search function has brought me to this thread, which has been interesting.

I've been lucky enough to recently receive a modded 5000 (modded by Mick at Detectronics) and a really good range of coils. Likely to sell the 6000 in the near future. Looking to set up a battery system that is attached to the detector and get rid of that bloody curly cord and being tethered.

So, I have looked at multiple options and feel there are pros and cons to most of them. Wondering if anybody has any other suggestions?

I have a Coiltek camcorder type system for the GP or SD machines (running it on the GP3500). It works well and has 3 batteries. But, I don't find it the most compact system and although the batteries and regulator are quite robust I am always worried about the battery charger - it just seems a little fragile although working well.  (Adit - actually, I have been putting together the 3500 this morning and for the first time I tried a speaker and the battery system is obviously not boosting it!  Works with wired headphones or LL BT sender/receiver - strange).  

The Detectormods system - https://detectormods.com/shop/63/lightweight-battery-kit  Looks OK. Like the idea of the higher capacity battery that has the USB-C charging port - much better than the actual charger it comes with I think. Can also just buy the batteries separately - 2 X high capacity would be $410. I think the more flexible cable running from the battery to the power plug on the detector is also good. However, although the audio plug is simple and effective it also means either using wired headphones (tethered again) or using a BT sender/receiver which are 2 more things to keep track of and charge. Approx 13 hours runtime for the high capacity. 450 gm is still a bit weighty.

The Detectronics system - Busy B - https://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/product-page/busy-b-dbv-wireless-battery-system  
Currently out of stock - I think everything is noted as out of stock because Mick is having a few months off for the birth of a baby. A more complex and professional looking system. Provides an audio sender/receiver built in. Not keen on the big loop power cord hanging out the back of the detector - see pic. Might be able to request a smaller cord and maybe even a R) angle plug. A bit pricey (although I think the quality looks excellent) and the battery at 500 gm is fairly heavy. 8-10 hours runtime.

image.png.61222468ceee2786a85b5ee45904045b.png

The little home made system from this thread - https://www.detectorprospector.com/topic/1621-diy-wireless-gpx-5000/#comment-63351 I actually like this one the most.  It seems super simple, very much like the Detector mods version. I would attach it to something like this and have several of them and simply change out every 4-5 hours.

cfer6a8x.png.4a12937ab3d803ee666072aa903f246a.png

Would require a BT sender/receiver or something like the Quest Wirefree Mate from PhaseTech. Would also require someone who knows what they are doing to build the adaptor. And 3 batteries is up around the $270 mark, then the sender/receiver and the adaptor - so not really a saving on the professional jobs but I think lighter and smaller. Doesn't provide weight but would likely easily slip into the side zipper pocket on the 5000 control box cover and I do already have a Soundpeats and an Avantree LL BT sender/receiver.

The Little Ripper - I have seen a few references to this but can't seem to see it for sale and think it may have been discontinued. Had some good reviews. Was built by Ismael from WA.

Docs Gold Screamer Pack - https://docsdetecting.com/product/power-pack-regulator-amplifier-battery-system-14-oz/ Still about 440 gm, is $469 US and then would have to pay for shipping. Just not viable for me in Australia.  

Any other good, light, compact, value for money options that anyone knows of?

Will probably wait for Mick to return and end up getting the Busy B unless something else pops up.