Old Railroad Line

I haven't got any additional coils for the Apex yet. So far there has been only 1 spot I needed to switch to single freq to dodge emi and happened to settle on 10khz. For the most part the Apex is very stable. I can run it in many areas I can't run my Kruzer. The audio has quick blips rather than long tones so large objects like a can you can hear a beep on either side of the target. At first I fount it awkward coming from doing so much all metal hunting but finding the quick beeps are far more accurate in judging size of a target and also finding it very effective in picking out targets that are in groups and or mixed in with iron.

I think the audio is not traditional on it and why people drop the machine and go for what they are used to rather than spending the time to learn it. I am really enjoying it for scouting out new areas and poking around in the woods. If I need deeper machines I have the kruzer and tejon for that sort of work.

5 hours ago, kac said:

I haven't got any additional coils for the Apex yet.

The standard 'Viper' coil is okay for a lot of people and routine urban Coin Hunting in more open grassy areas, or it works on a plowed field, a beach or other more open areas.  However, since I mainly hunted ghost towns 2with a lot of sagebrush and other confining and tangling brush, plus a lot of building rubble, I found it to be just a bit too big, especially in the front-to-rear elliptical length.

If I wanted a little more converge as well as depth, I would like a little bigger (wider) coil.  To work in the trashier areas I wanted a somewhat smaller-size coil to mid-size.  Due to the 6X11 size, I class the 'Viper' as a larger coil and not a mid-size.  Something in a round 7" to 9" or an elliptical such as a 5X8 or 5X9½ would be what I consider a mid-size coil.      Garrett answered those two needs for me with the 5X8 DD 'Ripper' and the 8½X11 'Raider' coils.  Those stay on my two mostlv used Apex devices, with the primary-use unit sporting the 'Ripper' coil.  Lighter, nicely balanced, and it fits in and works around most of the sites I encounter.

5 hours ago, kac said:

So far there has been only 1 spot I needed to switch to single freq to dodge emi and happened to settle on 10khz.

My 'Custom' mode starts up in MF and, surprisingly, the Apex works well in most applications and stays rather stabile.  When I do take on EMI, before reducing the Sensitivity, I check the optional Single Frequency choices and most often settle on either 10 kHz or 15 kHz.  Both quieter operation and continued good performance.  Sometimes even a slight 'edge' over MF.

5 hours ago, kac said:

I can run it in many areas I can't run my Kruzer. The audio has quick blips rather than long tones so large objects like a can you can hear a beep on either side of the target. At first I fount it awkward coming from doing so much all metal hunting but finding the quick beeps are far more accurate in judging size of a target and also finding it very effective in picking out targets that are in groups and or mixed in with iron.

I think the audio is not traditional on it and why people drop the machine and go for what they are used to rather than spending the time to learn it. I am really enjoying it for scouting out new areas and poking around in the woods. If I need deeper machines I have the kruzer and tejon for that sort of work.

Yes, the Apex audio is a little different and, like all detectors, just needs to be used to be learned.  As for depth-of-detection, I have done well with my Apex devices against other makes and modes I own or others I have compared them with.  I start out with any detector at, or very near, full Sensitivity and reduce it only as needed for stability.  The depth I am achieving is very good so far and comparable, or better, than the other models I have when using comparable-size search coils.

Monte

10 hours ago, kac said:

... The audio has quick blips rather than long tones so large objects like a can you can hear a beep on either side of the target. At first I fount it awkward coming from doing so much all metal hunting but finding the quick beeps are far more accurate in judging size of a target and also finding it very effective in picking out targets that are in groups and or mixed in with iron...

Agree I like these quick beeps which are very accurate ,especially in the iron trash , compared to the elongated signals of other machines  ...

Just I find the Apex sounds on targets a little too sharp or "abrupts" as you said in an other thread. I would have preferred a little softer audio . I hope that Garrett will change this in a future update.

Apart from this the Apex is a very nice machine , I will have more time to use it starting from next week in the plowed fields...

I agree with everything you guys said. I don't mind the audio and more I use it the more I know what it is doing like any machine I try to invest the time into it. If they come out with an AT version I hope they use the AT Pro Audio and add an All Metal Mode like the Max and Gold.

As for coils I will hold out for a bit in hopes Garrett comes out with a concentric for it, preferrably the 6x9 would be excellent.

• The title was changed to Old Railroad Line