Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

It's certainly an issue that seems more common with this release (GPX6000) than with other recent releases (GPZ, SDC 5k).

Thankfully in Australia Minelab service is still pretty quick & good. It has probably dropped off a little but I reckon it's still ok.

Minelab & Plexus Inc. really need to have a good look at this + why it's happening. It's too easy to just blame current world events IMO. Maybe Plexus have become too comfortable in their manufacturing contract & quality assurance + Minelab have taken their eyes off the ball a bit?

Hopefully it's sorted sooner rather than later cause I believe the 6k is truly a terrific detector that deserves better.

• Like 2

I guess I'm just lucky with detectors as my 6000 is working just fine, although it did take a couple of outings to christen it with three small colours. I can't recall having problems with any Minelab detector from the GS15000 onwards other than when I was testing prototypes. Prototype testing is essential for sorting out bugs, and manufacturers should undertake rigorous field testing before any machine is introduced to the buying public.

When I was testing the Australian built QED pulse induction detector the early versions were quite impressive, however the builder decided to produce a new model and put it on the market without testing. When I did finally receive the new machine it had more bugs than a Bangkok dormitory. The builder refused to accept that his baby was flawed and after a less that pleasant exchange we parted company. What could have been a good performing detector at a very competitive price turned out to be something less.

Thorough testing is imperative for avoiding product dissatisfaction.

• Like 9

I did have suspicion about the 6000 back in Jan thereabouts based upon issues I have heard about with the 7000. Overall the 7000 has proven to be a great detector. Heavy, limited-expensive coils, but it did have issues with some units, more often than I care to hear about. When I heard early on what the 6 can do, I thought I should give it a chance. What I was again of happening, happened with the detector I received. I am looking forward to swinging it and seeing for myself, it's strengths.

I have yet found anything with the 6000, and hope to be able to use it properly. Even my Tracker IV has found more than the 6000 for me in a single day. I can see myself swinging the 6000 the same way that I do with my 800 or Tracker IV, but nothing shows up and I get no tones from it. I just wonder if I actually buy one of them would it help.

Valens L, is yours pretty quiet? Do you have a test nugget to test it on? Or a lead sinker. If it is overly quiet after noise cancel and ground balanced and not registering target tones then it has a problem. That is what mine did.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My 6000 is working just fine also, but that does not mean that many are not

I do actually wonder if a Geo-Sense programming bug is at fault, as it did occur with mine in remotest Alaska, where it is impossible it was man made EMI. A natural source, like aurora activity/ Perhaps, but feels more like something inherent in the machine. It also seems to vary by machine. Mine, it’sbasically a none issue for me except in rareinstance, easily tamed with the cancel button. But I consider the machine to be inherentlynoisy, like the SDC warble, and so discountwhat others might consider to me major. I’malso used to running machines very hot and noisy regardless, so maybe I’m not mentallyattuned to this as much as others might be. But I also suspect there are machines that are simply doing this more than others, or morelikely, areas where it really is EMI, like Arizona, where that seems more common thannorthern Nevada.

Steve,

I was wondering what is considered a normal amount of warble for the GPX6000’s threshold noise as I do not have another detector to compare mine to. Could you please clarify how often you have to use the noise cancel to stabilize the detector and if using it always calms the unstable or noisy threshold down. I am trying to find any solution to settling down the unstable threshold on mine as it seems to run a little bit unstable in the higher sensitivity levels especially when not using the headphones.

• Like 2

I bought one of the first GPX6000 that was available in South Australia - it has found gold in three states and has had a lot of use with no issues at all.

Same with the Equinox800 - that gets a real workout & in sea water as well - no issues - not even a cracked coil ear.

I must be just dumb lucky or Minelab double quality check any stock coming to their head office home state.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I am looking forward to swinging it and seeing for myself, it's strengths.

Hopefully you get one with no issues this go around.  I'll admit, my 1st impression in 20 minutes was not good, but after a few more hours and then a couple more trips, we seemed to started talking and things started clicking.  You coming from a traditional PI (GPX-5000), I think you'll hear the EMI some folks complain about.  Just realize doing a Noise Cancel much more often is all it takes and things will be good.

Even though we may not agree on everything and we both sometimes type things before we think them out (yes I'm just as guilty), I do want you out there finding more gold with it.  There are some fabulous advantages and if you give it time, you'll learn them.  Good Luck.

• Like 2