Reasons To Hold Onto Equinox 800 In Light Of Deus 2

Now that’s not “Reasons To Hold Onto Equinox 800 In Light Of Deus 2!!” :smile: But if you primarily are a water hunter, don’t blame you at all.

The detector actually most likely impacted here will be Tarsacci, as we are talking more dollars to dollars comparison. An Equinox 600 will hunt the salt about as well as an 800, and at under $700 slays both the Deus 2 and Tarsacci in bang for the buck, even with a 3 year warranty versus Deus 2 at 5 (Tarsacci only 18 months).

Lol yeah if the deus II does not live up to my expectations then I will grab a nox 600 for the beach.  With the softer tone option and the simultaneous multi-frequency it may just surprise me.  

The detector actually most likely impacted here will be Tarsacci

Yes.  That is basically the question I am anxious to find the answer to.  Will Deus II knock my Tarsacci out of the picture?  Tarsacci is the best detector I have used that can reliably ID non ferrous at depth in hot ground.  The TID may not be accurate but it does a good job of differentiating non-ferrous from ferrous at depth.

• Like 2

If you are on a budget and plan on getting one machine in the future some might want to wait on the new  Minelab before spending $1600 on the   Deus.This new machine from Deus might cause  Minelab to release their new machine soon.Clive thinks the  Amfibio is a better lake Ontario machine then the Nox so I might ditch the Nox  for that  purpose since it is cheaper then the   Deus.If the  new Mf from  Notka is  good in the iron I might buy that too.

It's fun to speculate about all the potential of the new machines coming out and I hope they all live up to the hype. But we've only seen some, but not all of the data on the new XP and nothing on the Nokta until the 19th. Hopefully we'll get to see the manuals on both machines before they hit the streets. Meanwhile, I'll keep on swinging my Nox and enjoying every minute I get to go out with it. And even if I do get a new machine down the road, it would have to be so spectacularly better than the Nox in every way to ever consider retiring it from service. But that's just me.

• Like 1

Lots of people putting lipstick on something that is not in use yet. 

Will be interesting, indeed! 

Yea nothing like a new high end multi purpose detector to get the dopamine flowing lol

strick

• Haha 3

I do wonder how many equinox breaches were due to users exceeding the limits of protection offered by Equinox. When I see IP68 rating to 10 feet I think nothing more than, “ok, it’s an all terrain machine.” It’s ok to submerge or dunk it for a bit, but not indefinitely. It’s not a diving rig. I think where Minelab goes wrong is by not stressing the time limit involved on submersion, which if I remember is around 30 minutes, and that what they’ve offered is not for diving for indefinite periods. But there are also users who know full well they are exceeding the limits, but continue to do it over and over rather than buying a true diving machine. There are users who do this in plain view on YouTube and then talk about how it’s their 3rd unit. I have one of the earliest Equinoxes and I dunk it every summer. Some of what I do with it could even be considered short diving. But I’ve never exceeded the depth or time limits suggested and never had a single problem. 

On the Tarsacci, I don’t think Deus will cut into what it does best. When the technology behind Tarsacci is described it sounds exactly like what it most likely is, Truncated Half-Sine. It’s a different animal than single frequency, multifrequency, or even pulse. My understanding of it is that there is something inherent in the way Half-Sine handles bad ground that couldn’t be replicated through traditional VLF or multifrequency. The nearest comparison would be Pulse, but then you trade off discrimination.

• Like 1

I think where Minelab goes wrong is by not stressing the time limit involved on submersion, which if I remember is around 30 minutes,...

I just looked through the latest manual I have downloaded (version 7, specifed as 4901-0249-01 EN on its last page -- might not be the latest manual...) but couldn't find any time limit for control pod submersion.  Did I miss it?  If not there, where did you get this information?