** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

September 24   2002     Digging Deeper

We all got an early start to our workday. The weather is still holding up with temperatures in the 70’s and no rain. The haul road is in great shape and we are trying to get our glory cut finished before the next storms set in. Jacob said we are on borrowed time and the weather could change quickly. Even snow could be here soon which would likely end our season.

Jacob is still working his way deeper and the test pans are fair with some coarse gold. Nothing like we are thinking we might get  but we are absolutely convinced that there is a big pot at the bottom. If only Jacob could get down there with the excavator. He is trying his best and that’s all we can ask. We washed another 100 yards and will do a cleanup in the morning. Not expecting anything great but it will add to our totals. I called my wife tonight and told her we are getting near the closing of the mine for this year. Can’t wait to get back home.

TO BE CONTINUED ............

• Like 2

Getting ready for the new mining season. Just bought this nice mid size Deere 210.

IMG_20240426_111611.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Getting ready for the new mining season. Just bought this nice mid size Deere 210.

IMG_20240426_111611.jpg

Specs.

https://www.ritchiespecs.com/model/john-deere-210g-hydraulic-excavator

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

IMG_20240426_111611.jpg

We are able to put in 6 Plans of Operation on two sides of virgin ground. The plan is to high grade the bottom 15 ft of gravel from the exposed sides of a big hill. This material has been testing out at an average of $60/yard after allowing for smelting. We will run a Pioneer 30 trommel that averages 15 yards of gravel per hour. So 150 yards of processed gravel per day at $60 a yard should gross about $9000 per day. We are running a 3 man crew who are all partners. We won't need to do any hauling of any distance (only 200 - 300 ft) but will run a skid steer as a loader. I still need to buy a small dump truck. I have been waiting for gold to rise to these levels to make this a worthwhile project and I think the time has come. 

• Like 1

September 25   2003

The weather has turned on us again. Temperatures dropped overnight and the rain is falling. Conor and I cleaned up the concentrates and ended up with a slightly disappointing 27.9 ounces of gold. This is not what we are looking for. The haul road is holding up fine so far but the rain just keeps falling. It’s not a hard rain so hopefully we won’t have any issues like the last rain brought us.

I went up to the dig site and checked the pit. Jacob has gotten down quite a bit deeper and the walls of bedrock are sloping inward so the dig is getting narrower by the day now. If he doesn’t hit bedrock in the next couple of days he will max out his excavator digging depth. Then he will need to back out and come in from the south. He’d require a very large footprint and the trench into the site would be massive. It is getting late in the year for a project like that and if the rainy season is here the walls of the new dig would become unstable and dangerous. I have decided to give him the time needed to max out his depth and if we haven’t hit bedrock I would like to call it a season. We can resume the project next Summer under better conditions. We’ll see what happens. Conor and I processed 20 yards of gravel in the late afternoon and called it a day. 

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 2

Something odd here - all my old notifications have vanished on the journal except for the new ones from Mike Furness just now. It says I have no notifications. 

• Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Something odd here - all my old notifications have vanished on the journal except for the new ones from Mike Furness just now. It says I have no notifications. 

Well isn't that weird as heck...all of my thumbs up and etc. has vanished as well.

34 minutes ago, Old Miner Don said:

Well isn't that weird as heck...all of my thumbs up and etc. has vanished as well.

I think I've figured it out - we've entered The Twilight Zone.

• Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

I think I've figured it out - we've entered The Twilight Zone.

Really strange man. Where's Steve today?

Maybe this is the Rye Patch weekend and he's over there. He will know what happened.

24 minutes ago, Old Miner Don said:

Really strange man. Where's Steve today?

Maybe this is the Rye Patch weekend and he's over there. He will know what happened.

Steve said there was an issue with part of the website.

• Like 1