Was Underwater Detecting The Main Intent With Deus 2?

Steve Herschbach

Just for satisfying my demented mind......if a supposedly waterproof machine (of any brand) that is under warranty springs a leak, how do they know if it leaked at less than 10 feet, or, at more than 200 feet? A leak is a leak, isn't it? 

On 2/12/2022 at 6:00 PM, strick said:

It’s funny you brought this up because I was thinking the same thing today. Maybe they  are trying to get into the beach and water hunting now. One of my concerns is the underwater antenna...I detect in brackish water a lot and often the coil on my machines have a couple pounds of grass stuck to the coil and I wonder how well that will play with the antenna coming loose. 

Strick

The elastic O ring they give you to hold it on won't last long.  It wraps around and goes across the bottom - rubbing that will destroy it in a few outings.  Use a zip tie - bullet proof...

D2 Coil Zip.jpg

On 2/12/2022 at 12:22 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I am starting to think the main goal with D2 was saltwater. XP already has machines aimed at dry land coin and relic (Deus 1), and a gold nugget detector (ORX). To expand the line, beach was the obvious weak spot, and marketing says cannibalizing existing product sales is a bad idea. Multifrequency has long been considered better than single frequency in a salt environment. And the Deus 2 being designed for up to 60 foot immersion screams water detector. That, and all the photo emphasis on the website showing underwater use.

I sold detectors for decades. Here is the discussion I want to have. Person says they want detector, I say “what for” - what is the primary goal? Most machines are multipurpose now, but what’s your main interest?

If it’s coins and relics I’ll probably say get a Deus 1. If it’s gold prospecting, I’ll probably say get the ORX. And salt water beaches, then get the Deus 2. Simple, makes sense, a salesperson would love it.

We could talk about D1 vs D2 for coins and relics, but I’d point out the D1 is a better price, way more coil options, and a proven winner. Or, if you are the sort who wants the latest toy, and I’d know fast, I’d shift you to the D2 instead.

Long story short, if your product line is missing key categories, it makes more sense to fill that empty slot, then to replace something you already have. Once a company fills all the slots, then upgrading old models in a round robin fashion becomes the norm, as with Minelab at this point. Newer companies like Nokta/Makro and XP are still filling out the lineup. And let’s face it, in underwater, Minelab has pretty much owned it as of late, with almost nobody running an XP at the beach. I think they wanted that to change.

To sum up:

Deus 1 = coin and relic, also good for gold prospecting, and non-salt jewelry

ORX = gold prospecting, also good for coin and relic, and non-salt jewelry

Deus 2 = saltwater jewelry, also good for coin and relic, gold prospecting

Anyway, just my morning coffee thought for the day, that’s all. Don’t take it for more than that. :smile:

Steve - As always you are spot on...salt water detecting is the main and for me the only reason to get a Deus 2 (if you already have a Deus 1).

I've owned a Deus since they first came out - it was $2,500 for the full kit in 2012...luckily Minelab (Gary) bought it for me to give them my feedback...

I used that for my colonial era farm fields and the few trips to the UK - it blew away the E-Trac in those environments mostly the ergonomics and speed.

For the beach - I had the Excal - a heavy slow recovery beast that I could only use hip mounted.

I then picked up a EQ 600 to replace the Excal, and, even tho I scored a 28 gram gold chain on my second outing - I don't really care for it that much.

Now - the D2 is the best of both worlds...that's for me in my conditions...