Deus 2 Not Detecting Quarters Very Well

shopkins1994

I'm sure other folks here can give a more detailed and more accurate explanation, but the effect is caused by the roll of quarters being laid on its side. You are essentially creating coins on edge orientation, and while you'd think 40 coins contacting each other on edge would give a big signal, that's not the case. Each coin creates its own eddy current from being energized by the coil (in the same way links in a chain do) and  the detector is basically reading the one or two edge oriented coins at a time per swing even though they are touching. So the entire roll of coins doesn't create one big eddy current, just 40 tiny ones, and most of them are missed in the sweep. Sweeping length of the roll, you are sweeping across the thinnest part of the coin so the response is small to missed. When you changed your swing 90 degrees, you swept across the length of the coin in the roll and it gave a larger response in some programs. If you had stood the roll on end, it would have read similar to one flat oriented quarter for the same reason, because the detector is reading only one or two coins at a time. I hope that makes some sense.

8 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I'm sure other folks here can give a more detailed and more accurate explanation, but the effect is caused by the roll of quarters being laid on its side. You are essentially creating coins on edge orientation, and while you'd think 40 coins contacting each other on edge would give a big signal, that's not the case. Each coin creates its own eddy current from being energized by the coil (in the same way links in a chain do) and  the detector is basically reading the one or two edge oriented coins at a time per swing even though they are touching. So the entire roll of coins doesn't create one big eddy current, just 40 tiny ones, and most of them are missed in the sweep. Sweeping length of the roll, you are sweeping across the thinnest part of the coin so the response is small to missed. When you changed your swing 90 degrees, you swept across the length of the coin in the roll and it gave a larger response in some programs. If you had stood the roll on end, it would have read similar to one flat oriented quarter for the same reason, because the detector is reading only one or two coins at a time. I hope that makes some sense.

A roll of coins will come up as a bar of metal and NOT a coin. Here in the USA, a clad coin is a mish-mosh of copper and Nickel. Coins stacked in a roll would look like a bar of stainless steel or something else but never a coin.

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I'm not so sure about that. A few of the modes do detect it both directions. 

54 minutes ago, shopkins1994 said:

I'm not so sure about that. A few of the modes do detect it both directions. 

Thanks for reverifying Faraday’s Law and the principle of magnetic induction. See Capt_GhostLight’s post for part of the explanation regarding magnetically induced eddy currents, their magnitude and orientation to the coil are important and why edge on coins isolated or in clusters are difficult to detect.  Most VLF detectors have this issue crop up in some way with quarter rolls or large stacks of high conductors.  The subtleties of the eddy current orientation to  the coil also somewhat explains how the different D2 modes (and mono frequencies) react to the quarter roll.   Note that it is not surprising that Deep HC seemed to deal with the situation the best.  It is summed up by the mode description.

DEEP HIGH CONDUCTOR adds together very low and medium frequencies up to 14 kHz.
Designed to better locate good conductivity targets, it is ideal for clusters of coins whilst maintaining ex- cellent sensitivity to isolated coins using its 14 kHz frequency.

Simultaneous Multi-frequency seems to be more susceptible for some reason (do a search on Equinox for similar “Nox can’t detect big silver” videos).  Anyway, not unique to Deus 2.  

Love watching this novelty test come out with every new detector release as if it is some new discovery or a gotcha.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting phenomenon.

Thanks for sharing.

I have to agree with NCToad.  Since I bought my first detector in 1970, I can honestly say that I have never run across such a target….or a roll of any type of coin.

I’m sure there is a physical reason for the results as shown in the video but as we all know, detecting is a game of odds and in my mind, the odds of having to detect a roll of quarters are very very small so I’m not concerned about any detector’s inability to efficiently “see” it.

I’m not trying to be a wise guy by saying this, just evaluating the seriousness of this demonstrated shortcoming. As I always say however, that’s just the view from my foxhole.  😉