To Me, This Is A Problem...

Jayhop

5 hours ago, midalake said:

Maybe the second go-around in some of your sites should be done in Beach Sensitive???? 

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it in my test garden and the audio report was a little soft on my coins, even with the audio response turned up.

I tried Deus mono tonight in my garden. It is fairly stable and gave a good response on all my coins in a 5 tone program. Was switching between 17 to 25 khz. The only problem is that it gave a very high ID on the nickel. 

I hate to even post this but it was giving a good audio response 5 to 6 inches above an 11" quarter. 

6 hours ago, Jayhop said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it in my test garden and the audio report was a little soft on my coins, even with the audio response turned up.

I tried Deus mono tonight in my garden. It is fairly stable and gave a good response on all my coins in a 5 tone program. Was switching between 17 to 25 khz. The only problem is that it gave a very high ID on the nickel. 

I hate to even post this but it was giving a good audio response 5 to 6 inches above an 11" quarter. 

Why do you not like to post this ? Good response on a 16”quarter is great to hear. was the ID of the quarter accurate as well?

14 hours ago, Jayhop said:

I understand what you mean but I relic hunt and yes I would like to find the older nickels and low conductors such as some buttons. 

In my opinion prog 2 is the best on D2 for low conductors. I did an own program based on prog. 2 but with pitch tone because of high mineralization. And ground stabilizer 1 because of better depth. In my opinion prog 2, in 3 tones, is the best on little targets and low conductors. 

1 hour ago, relicmeister said:

Why do you not like to post this ? Good response on a 16”quarter is great to hear. was the ID of the quarter accurate as well?

Well to me it's hard to believe. As far as the ID, the best I remember no it wasn't very accurate. While testing in mono sometime there was no ID, this is on deep coins. 

For accurate ID, The Deep HC  program is the best I have ever seen on deeper coins on any detector.

22 hours ago, midalake said:

It has been 20 years since I put a detector on soil. Are nickel's worth the same coming out of the ground 20 years ago as now........nothing. 

Just food for thought. 

Usually they are toast but the problem is if it's not hitting nickels well then what else is it missing?  lots of good targets in these ranges...it's good to hear that the detector is liked by most of you who are using it and I am happy to hear that it's performing well in iron like the Deus 1 good enough reason to get one...plus it works well at the beach so it seems...good stuff... now if they can fix some of the stuff with the screen I may just squeeze off the shot. 

strick

1 hour ago, strick said:

Usually they are toast but the problem is if it's not hitting nickels well then what else is it missing?  lots of good targets in these ranges...it's good to hear that the detector is liked by most of you who are using it and I am happy to hear that it's performing well in iron like the Deus 1 good enough reason to get one...plus it works well at the beach so it seems...good stuff... now if they can fix some of the stuff with the screen I may just squeeze off the shot. 

strick

That is my point. It's not that the machine won't hit nickels, it's just that when using a 3, 4 or 5 tone program the deeper nickels at 11 inches or so sound terrible. Like it's trying to call it iron and a nonferrous low conductor at the same time. 

But the equinox IDs it and sounds good. 

41 minutes ago, Jayhop said:

Like it's trying to call it iron and a nonferrous low conductor at the same time. 

That’s what targets do in mineralized ground as they reach the edge of a detectors discrimination limit. The tone shifts from non-ferrous to ferrous. Nearly all VLF detectors exhibit the same thing, the only difference being when it occurs.

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s what targets do in mineralized ground as they reach the edge of a detectors discrimination limit. The tone shifts from non-ferrous to ferrous. Nearly all VLF detectors exhibit the same thing, the only difference being when it occurs.

The thing is that the equinox sounds really good on this nickel with an accurate ID. But I can't create a five tone program on the Deus II that will, And still be useful for hunting by tones that is. 

The Deus II actually gives a better ID and audio response from different angles on my deep dime than the equinox. Especially when I Deep HC. 

If it wasn't for the Deep HC program I wouldn't be happy at all with the Deus. 

I did a 5 tone Park program this evening that gave an acceptable tone on the deep nickel. But, the ID was way off. It was giving a 92 on it. 

And on top of that it gave a nice high tone on the deep dime. But that high tone was surrounded by a very annoying iron buzz. Which would make you think it is iron. 

For now I will hunt in Deep HC 5 tone which doesn't give a great audio on the nickel or in Deep HC pitch which gives the best audio and ID on all my deep coins but doesn't allow you to hunt by audio response without constantly checking the numbers. 

Please XP, make some changes. At least equal Minelab. 

On 3/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, strick said:

Usually they are toast but the problem is if it's not hitting nickels well then what else is it missing?

Just to be clear, the OP (Jay) never said it was not hitting nickels.  He just didn’t like the scratchy tone.  Visual target ID was pretty good across the board for the mid and high conductors.  Jay is a pure audio tone guy and doesn’t want to be shackled to glancing at the screen ID to make a dig decision.  He’s got a workaround he is willing to use, but it’s not ideal.  I get where he is coming from.  And even though I have a different approach, as explained below, which suits me fine, it is not a good fit for Jay.  Again, this was never about not getting a hit on nickels or similar TID mid-conductors.

Like I posted previously, I have had no issues hitting deep mid conductive targets in the nickel range in deep HC (and have the visual evidence to back up that statement) but hadn’t noticed the scratchy nickel signal issue Jayhop was experiencing (and that was corroborated by Palzynski) because I naturally integrate the audio with the visual TID (I search by ear and integrate audio and visual TID together when interrogating the target to make a dig decision, as long as the audio properly stops me in my tracks to investigate, I’m happy, provided “everything” doesn’t sound good). 

But I never actually dug nickels in that range just brass and lead targets that rang up in that range.  I need to test that scratchy signal thing myself with a nickel, but even if it exists I doubt it would ever stop me from digging any non-ferrous target in that TID range (roughly 55 to 65).

On 3/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, strick said:

now if they can fix some of the stuff with the screen

I understand what people are saying about the screen based on static layout, but I personally have no issues with the screen as far as TID is concerned in actual real world usage in the field (except the quirk as noted below that is primarily a function of my style of detecting and target interrogation).  Just because I’m fine with it, doesn’t mean you will be fine with it but I just wanted to point out it was one of those gray area things that may polarize people into one camp or the other.  You may love it or you may hate it.  Similar to Jay’s audio issue above, if XP attempts to “fix” it they may just end up breaking it for the people who are fine with how it is now.  

Anyway, the main knocks I heard against the display were the TID was not prominent and it disappeared too fast.  IMO, the TID is there large and plain as day, front and center, highly visible and remains there as long as you are swinging the coil over the target with a slight delay before fade-out.  The horseshoe ferrous/non ferrous indication wraps right around the TID and is positioned ideally to enable you to focus on TID or horseshoe to get signal strength and ferrous/non-ferrous mix or pure non-mixed target composition info to integrate the info and make a dig decision.  As a backup to TID you can get relative TID information and disc/notch regions off the linear TID scale that runs across the top of the display and the moving carat TID icon.

The one complaint I do have about the screen target ID implementation is kind of the opposite of what others have complained about.  I often liberally shift between different custom programs using the +/- program navigation keys, which makes target interrogation a snap.  Problem is in doing that I can quickly forget which program I am using to zap the target.  I find it kind of annoying that I have to stop my swing and let the TID fade out before I can see what program I have selected so I know whether I need to hit + or - to navigate to the next desired “interrogation” program.  Sort of interrupts the flow of the target interrogation routine.  But it’s easily manageable and I am not advocating for any change to the screen layout. 

If XP were to come out down the road with an update that permitted user customization of the screen layout by choosing from a limited menu of icons and live information tiles similar to the watch face and workout screen customizations provided with athletic focused smart watches, I would be all for that.  

Update:  Looks like XP is getting ready to release ver 0.7 firmware which will include a new “Big TID” screen.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking Jay’s thread, just felt I needed to respond to strick’s concerns with my perspectives.