Deus II Smacks A Sterling Ring

Nice ring NC. Is this your yard?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

Yes it was.  Just to the left of the little bridge in the pic below.  

0C1314BB-47DE-446E-B161-85823F68ACD7.jpeg

That's a nice backyard! That's how I got started, finding relics in my backyard.

Looks like you're going to do great with the D2.

Are you going to try and fix the ring, or add it to the silver box?  Sorry for all the questions. I'm about to try my hand at low temp silver soldering.

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

Yes it was.  Just to the left of the little bridge in the pic below.  

0C1314BB-47DE-446E-B161-85823F68ACD7.jpeg

Great find on the ring!

Are you in a gold bearing area of North Carolina?

If so have you did any prospecting for gold in that creek running through your yard?

30 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

That's a nice backyard! That's how I got started, finding relics in my backyard.

Looks like you're going to do great with the D2.

Are you going to try and fix the ring, or add it to the silver box?  Sorry for all the questions. I'm about to try my hand at low temp silver soldering.

Thanks!  I’ll just put that ring in my silver collection.  I did some silver soldering many years in a metal smithing class I took as an art elective while in college.  I don’t remember anything about how it’s done though. 

7 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

Great find on the ring!

Are you in a gold bearing area of North Carolina?

If so have you did any prospecting for gold in that creek running through your yard?

Thanks!  Yes, there is gold in this part of NC. I tried panning once in that stream and I also ran the nox in gold mode where the stream is undercutting the bank back in the woods but I didn’t find anything.  I also really don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to finding gold.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Thanks!  Yes, there is gold in this part of NC. I tried panning once in that stream and I also ran the nox in gold mode where the stream is undercutting the bank back in the woods but I didn’t find anything.  I also really don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to finding gold.  

I doubt you'll find any gold big enough to detect with a detector most of the gold you'll likely find will be fine gold but it's not unheard of finding a picker or small nugget in North Carolina.

If there's any gold in that stream it will be down either on bedrock or a clay layer which the heavy gold can't get past as it sinks when the sediment is stirred up, if you have either clay or bedrock in the creek check on top of them and also any cracks in the bedrock will have gold that dropped out of the flow and trapped in the cracks, break open any cracks and or scrape/clean out any material in them with a hammer, chisel and using a straight blade screwdriver, piece of stiff wire, stiff brush, etc. to get as much if not all of the material out and pan it to see if you have any gold, it also possible to find "flood gold" that hasn't had time to sink down yet on/in sandbars especially if there's bigger rocks that also dropped out of the flow in the sandbar.

It helps to also classify out the bigger rocks from your gathered material with a classifier before you try panning, you can use a piece of metal window screen for a makeshift classifier do this with lot of water using a catch pan to contain the fine material that goes through the screen.

Good luck, I hope you find some gold if you try again, let us know if you do try even if you don't find any gold! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

nice ring and I hope you find some more items out there.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1