Are Legend, Deus II & Manticore, Going To Impact Tarsacci?

On 9/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, Denny said:

Yes.  Also I hear music coming through the headphones  while using the tarsacci at the park.  It’s just a whisper doesn’t bother me. There are a few radio stations near by.  No way to correct this issue. My friends tarsacci does the same.  
May be the end for tarsacci. 

There are a couple things to try to eliminate the music depending upon access to the insides. Can it be opened or is it sealed?  You can get things called ferrite beads and slip them over wires leading to the wipers of audio-related controls. Unsolder the wire, slip over the wire, and solder it back. The  RF energy is being rectified and then amplified so you hear it. Some op amps  do this as well but I imagine swapping parts is frowned upon.

45 minutes ago, bklein said:

There are a couple things to try to eliminate the music depending upon access to the insides. Can it be opened or is it sealed?  You can get things called ferrite beads and slip them over wires leading to the wipers of audio-related controls. Unsolder the wire, slip over the wire, and solder it back. The  RF energy is being rectified and then amplified so you hear it. Some op amps  do this as well but I imagine swapping parts is frowned upon.

Thanks for the tip but I think I will leave it as is. 
I may put the tarsacci up for sale as I have not been using it ever since I bought the D2.

4 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I’m watching the manticore as a possible backup…. But it’s been said this isn’t a flagship replacement.  I’m also wanting to see if it’s worth the money in the water.

Dew - If you are considering a ML again, you'd be better off going for the revamped Equinox 900 for wet salt beach hunting, better value.  If you want to spend $1500, the Deus 2 would likely be a better choice than Manticore.

• Like 1

I still got mine sold the 12 " coil as i was getting rid of lots of gear.I still like it but i lack time i found deep stuff with it.And i had 2 gold rings day with it on my poor beaches.

Could it be the detector you take on a dessert island battery last for a good time.I hope i ll be able to play with it soon,but the D2 has all my attention since i got it last year.I just think it is outdated already

MR

• Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 5:03 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Dew - If you are considering a ML again, you'd be better off going for the revamped Equinox 900 for wet salt beach hunting, better value.  If you want to spend $1500, the Deus 2 would likely be a better choice than Manticore.

I have a friend who uses the Deus AND the MDT.  I’ve not cared for the ML multi unit in the water….. and I’m not jumping out there to spend the money on any until more info is in.  But most of us who hit the beaches hard consider performance over price since the machine pays for its self rather quickly.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:50 PM, Geezer said:

You both make excellent points. If you were to hunt like I do, what might you use instead? There are so many new detectors out now I find it hard to keep up with what is good and what is hype.

The depth you mentioned is fairly easy to obtain by most machines.  Of course I need one I have the option of in and out of the water.  Next you have to consider what’s an acceptable loss for the targets you are looking for.  You then may need to look at one with more coil options especially for working in trash as well as reducing sensitivity, slowing down, keeping the coil low ( not that I need to tell you this) and possibly using a pattern occasionally.  In trash just changing it up occasionally can help.  I found in say parks …. Not running high sensitivity especially with a large coil seemed to pick up high conductors totally missed because the machine was trying to process so much material.  Plus you got so much better TID.  Go beach hunting I like an 11 or 12” coil.  But you lose some small gold.

8 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

Not running high sensitivity especially with a large coil seemed to pick up high conductors totally missed because the machine was trying to process so much material.  Plus you got so much better TID.  Go beach hunting I like an 11 or 12” coil.  But you lose some small gold.

You are so right Dewcon. Setting it down when there are a lot of signals coming in makes a big difference. It allows round signals to sound a little better amongst the more ragged trash signal. 

I do not have the understanding of metal detectors that you and others here possess. For me it comes down what to the tones tell me and a long process of trial and error till i find something that works for me. The relative simplicity of the MDT and it’s intrinsic ability in bad ground helps me out a lot.

2 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I have a friend who uses the Deus AND the MDT.  I’ve not cared for the ML multi unit in the water….. and I’m not jumping out there to spend the money on any until more info is in.  But most of us who hit the beaches hard consider performance over price since the machine pays for its self rather quickly.

You said you were eyeing Manticore as a backup.  My point was that I have not really seen anything from a performance standpoint that separates the Manticore from the 900 as far as jewelry and coin wet salt sand/water hunting is concerned to justify the $600 price difference.  The M-core 2D display seems to be of limited use at the beach unless you are looking for steel core coins, depth increase is incremental, EMI noise cancelling appears to be marginally improved but the Deus 2 appears to blow away both 900 and M-core in that regard, so if EMI is a concern, then D2.  All the ergonomics and beach hardware improvements of M-core (light weight but robust CF shaft system, improved watertight integrity) have also been incorporated into the 900.  I don't think M-core is a worse performer than the 900, just that 900 appears to be a better overall value so you will recoup the cost for essentially equivalent performance, quicker.  Especially if it is just going to be your backup machine.  Jury is still out whether M-core really brings anything significant to the table vs. 900 for wet salt sand detecting, I just haven't seen it demonstrated yet. HTH clarify what I was trying to say.

2 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Next you have to consider what’s an acceptable loss for the targets you are looking for.

This was actually the first thing I decided when working out a strategy for the long term. Hunting recent drops sort of evolved on me while learning to use the MDT in bad ground. Bad ground and iron junk was what I wanted this thing for in the first place, and it turned out that if you could ignore the old iron and junk in parks that are still popular, the recent drops can be picked off the top. This pretty much defines what the targets are going to be and what acceptable loss is up front by the nature of the soil profile being hunted.

Being able to hunt bad ground is what gives an edge on all the competition out there these days. It is noisy work of course, not many care for that. The MDT makes noise most do not like either, but it will hunt some pretty terrible ground and is decent with EMI too, which is a must for an urban setting, so it is worth getting used to.

This is an easier style of hunting, well tolerated by park employees, and saves my back.  Still, good leg workout squatting down for the pull tabs, but you can’t have everything.

39 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I personally would prefer to have the additional $$ in my pocket than invested in a machine where any performance difference would be marginal regardless of how quickly it pays for itself, but that's just me.

Well said Chase. The very value of the contribution of you and the others on this forum is implied in that statement. Since we cannot try before we buy it helps to have the advice of others.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:57 AM, Chase Goldman said:

You said you were eyeing Manticore as a backup.  My point was that I have not really seen anything from a performance standpoint that separates the Manticore from the 900 as far as jewelry and coin wet salt sand/water hunting is concerned to justify the $600 price difference.  The M-core 2D display seems to be of limited use at the beach unless you are looking for steel core coins, depth increase is incremental, EMI noise cancelling appears to be marginally improved but the Deus 2 appears to blow away both 900 and M-core in that regard, so if EMI is a concern, then D2.  All the ergonomics and beach hardware improvements of M-core (light weight but robust CF shaft system, improved watertight integrity) have also been incorporated into the 900.  I don't think M-core is a worse performer than the 900, just that 900 appears to be a better overall value so you will recoup the cost for essentially equivalent performance, quicker.  Especially if it is just going to be your backup machine.  Jury is still out whether M-core really brings anything significant to the table vs. 900 for wet salt sand detecting, I just haven't seen it demonstrated yet. HTH clarify what I was trying to say.

Good points of course.   Im hoping the manticore has value for dirt hunting if I ever get up home again longest to hit some of my old spots.  I don’t get nearly the EMI simply because I’m in the water mostly.  But if it chatters because of minerals a lot I’m out.  The Deus is quiet in the water.  But there’s a lot I don’t like about it and it’s not cheap either.   I seriously wish they would revamp the Xcal.  I’m afraid their flag ship if redone is going to again be pricy.  I like the CTX but at this point it’s hard to call it the flagship 

• Like 2