Thanksgiving Contest From Gerry's Detectors

I’m thankful for all who contribute to this fine forum in so many ways.  Some just read and gather knowledge while other enjoy posting pics/stories and sharing your experiences.  A few wise old men who’ve busted so many pairs of boots to the ground…as well as plenty of young new gunners still wearing metal in their soles and plenty of average Joes to share the fun and tell stories when the sun goes down.  You all help in different ways to make this DP forum the best.

As a thank you from Gerry’s Detectors.  I’d like to have a little fun contest.  No I'm not giving away a free $1000 detector like I did last year on here, but a very nice Minelab Detecting Vest with more pockets to lose stuff in.  It is a nice vest (see pic at bottom) though and the best part, is just having fun.

Share a pic and short story (Simon, notice I said short story) of a “Thankful nugget” on this thread.  Contest ends Sunday, 27th at midnight my time.  1 entry per person.  The winner will get a Minelab vest sent to them free of charge.  Sorry but I do not plan on sending the vest outside of the USA.  Sure we all would enjoy seeing your Thankful nugget and short story, no matter what country you are from.  So, if you are the lucky drawing winner, then give me a name and address of someone in the US who you would enjoy donating your winning Vest. This allows everyone to play and also gives kudos to those from outside the US who go along.

All who post their 1 pic and short story will get their name dropped into a hat and there will be a simple drawing sometime next week.  I’ll post the winner and then you PM me your USA mailing address.  Again, if outside of the US is the winner, please select someone in the US you would like to donate the vest and I will send it on your behalf.

Below is pic of my Thankful nugget.

My 1st nugget from South Dakota.  I watched Deadwood and was drawn in from the story.  A month later a special friend invited me to SD.  1st day in the field, 1st hour and I scored gold in more ways than one. Fun times, memories at dinner (happy birthday to your wife) and just an overall wonderful experience.  I'm Thankful for the opportunity you shared with me.

20210723_111542.thumb.jpg.1d7e76d8a7a21a96372a66aa2363e160.jpg

Looking forward to having some nice reads and interesting nugget pics to see.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving to my DP friends and safe travels during the holiday weekend.

Vest1.jpg

Gerry  

I all those years my friend and I never was thinking about taking pictures but only on the gold we found. We nugget hunted together and lots of high banking from finding a little to a lot one time. 
 The only pictures I have is what In my mind but they are showing age. But when I call them up they look like it was just yesterday we were working our rears off and enjoying it.

One picture I have on my phone and I’ll post it.

Thanks!

Chuck 

PS This is not a entry but you know me I like to talk.

740A8BAA-A686-4CE0-912B-040BF9EBBFF2.jpeg

Found just over the hill from Rye Patch on December 13th 2003. Hadnt snowed yet, but it sure has hell started after I was awestruck in finding this gold dental work. For more potential information to the story, look up The Last Indian Massacre Of 1911. I may have found dental work from some of the victims. And in reality everyone on both sides were victims. Happy Thanksgiving ya'll...

20221124_123308.jpg

I’ve been more than blessed other than with Nuggets!  The Friends, Adventure and lifetime of memories are my best finds.  I was a pretty successful dredger in the Motherlode, but that gave way to full time metal detecting to satisfy my Gold Fever.  I can’t remember every poke I’ve parted with, but if I remember right this one was over 5 ounces.  It’s a mixture of California Foothills nuggets and the bottom one was just a hair shy of 1-ounce from the Sawtooth Knob area of Nevada.  You bet I wonder, where all the big nuggets are at…until the next virgin patch of fatties, keep swinging that coil.

LuckyLundy

38A17386-556E-46AC-B033-8B4DBD093718.jpeg

2 hours ago, LuckyLundy said:

I’ve been more than blessed other than with Nuggets!  The Friends, Adventure and lifetime of memories are my best finds.  I was a pretty successful dredger in the Motherlode, but that gave way to full time metal detecting to satisfy my Gold Fever.  I can’t remember every poke I’ve parted with, but if I remember right this one was over 5 ounces.  It’s a mixture of California Foothills nuggets and the bottom one was just a hair shy of 1-ounce from the Sawtooth Knob area of Nevada.  You bet I wonder, where all the big nuggets are at…until the next virgin patch of fatties, keep swinging that coil.

LuckyLundy

Great picture, something about that color!! Here are a few of my bigger pieces I could to this day after many many years tell you the exact spot I found them, but I won't 🙂 the big ones are out there..don't let anyone tell you there not.

Screenshot_20220905-184036_Photos.jpg

Nine Thanksgivings ago I found my largest nugget on Thanksgiving Day 2013.  I've told the story a few times and posted it on a couple of other forums before I joined here.

This link will give a look back and let you remember or get introduced to a few old timers mostly from the Southwestern United States where I found the nugget.  It is an Arizona nugget.

Introducing the Goose Egg Nugget (22.46 oz Speci) - GOLD NUGGET HUNTING - Nugget Shooter Forums (ipbhost.com) 

The night before I found this nugget I slept in my Isuzu Trooper and about an hour after I got up I heard this deep target in an area that had been hunted heavily for meteorites.  After digging down into the cobbles out came the speci.  It is nice to remember it but also sad because some of the people I shared the find with are no longer with us.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.  This is my entry into Gerry's contest.

post-26254-0-73715200-1385779103.jpg

4 hours ago, LuckyLundy said:

LuckyLundy

What about that ring?

Our thankful nugget is not the many gold wire and leaf specimens I and my wife have recovered over 30+ summers here in Colorado but being able to experience all the good and bad times we spent detecting those prize specimens. The memories and stories that we are able share make it seem just as exciting and satisfying as the day we found them.

Here is a recent wire gold specimen I finished cleaning and mother nature was sure in rare form we she created this one:

1654136710_FSF-264(3072x2048).thumb.jpg.8477b35c11dde99dbdba2c1fd08efcc7.jpg1778693703_FSF-264r(3072x2048).thumb.jpg.2c247b1d7e9ecd8558c1d9290d5c928b.jpgFSF-264q.thumb.jpg.c41e0f99fd3c989cb17746c81fc58d24.jpg