Manticore Dreamers Like Me Will Enjoy This Vid

PSPR

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

IMG_20191125_095906.thumb.jpg.cf9009b4c64de2a4bfdc5ee43ed0a011.jpg

It ended up snapping off, this was a couple of weeks old at the time.

Mine broke at the weld, I was able to repair it thanks to a neighbor.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Minelab allowing Scott to release an actual hunt video must mean your Manti coin/jewelry/relic detectors are about to be shipped in larger numbers worldwide.

I don’t know that minelab had to allow him to do that. The manticore is in the public’s hands right now...some of us got lucky and got one in the first shipment. For me that was 6 days ago and I could have made videos starting then if I was into that stuff...and I have no affiliation with minelab other then I buy their stuff. Regular guy here. 

I do think you guys may be on to something about this marketing ploy they may be playing...why is the new Nox 900 readily available but the Manticore is not?  Looks like they are tossing a few scraps out to the wolves to get them all excited about the new product...clever they are. 

Strick

15 minutes ago, strick said:

I do think you guys may be on to something about this marketing ploy they may be playing...why is the new Nox 900 readily available but the Manticore is not?

Yep its got me wondering as well, some shops had the 900s in stock within a couple of days after the announcement. I can walk in tomorrow and grab one if I so desired. No Manticore's though, I need to pay a deposit and wait in the Que....

2 hours ago, strick said:

I do think you guys may be on to something about this marketing ploy they may be playing...why is the new Nox 900 readily available but the Manticore is not?  Looks like they are tossing a few scraps out to the wolves to get them all excited about the new product...clever they are. 

It might be a marketing ploy (l previously commented about the rampant conspiracy theories from those anxiously awaiting their Manticores) or simply a shrewd move driven by simple economics and the potentially thin actual performance gap between the 900 and M-core. 

Looks like they deliberately put themselves in a position to deliver many more 700 and 900 Nox 2.0's in advance of the M-core.  Its apparent that ML has been testing and shaking out the new physical production lines for the 700/900/M-core using the cheaper 700/900 models which share most of the same physical components (Pod, upper shaft and stem) which lowers the risk that the Manticore will suffer from significant manufacturing issues (a buzzkill for a $1600 detector launch and somethingvthat haunted the original Nox for years).  Better that those production learning curve flaws show up in the lower profile $700 Nox 700 detector.  That leaves only the M-core's unique lower shaft and stock coil as being different than the 700/900 (while the 700/900 shares practically the same (though slightly modded 11" and presumably 15" coil ears) physical coil design as the existing Nox series.  Wise move given the production startup issues with Equinox in 2018 (wobbly shaft?, leaking pods) as just mentioned.  Let the Nox Mark 2.0 get any bad production press rather than the M-core.  If true, just means you M-core folks are going to get a better product with higher quality manufacturing while waiting a tad longer for inventory to show up.  

It also makes economic sense that more of the less expensive Nox Mark 2.0 units are made because they are significantly more affordable than M-core and as a result may turn out to be better sellers.

The remaining question is that given all the Manticore-like improvements (i.e., shaft system, pod, improved menu navigation, improved watertightness, improved speed, improved tone audio options, updated wireless radio/phones, and improved TID resolution) incorporated into the Nox 700/900 minus the 50% more power to the coil, new naming convention for the modes, and target trace.  What is the actual performance and usability improvement that you get for that $700 to $900 extra folks are paying for the M-core vs. Nox 2.0 (700/900).  In other words what is the better overall value.  That's yet to be determined.  We need some real world 900 to M-core comparisons.  It will be interesting to see who's actually buying both right of the bat to make that comparison.

For me, 900 is compelling because it goes above and beyond just fixing the original Nox flaws, but also improves usability, especially in regards to target interrogation techniques (mode switching in two directions with the back button) which better suits my detecting style, I get to use my existing 5x10 Nox coil which is my favorite rather than waiting another unknown number of months for ML to release the small M-core coil, and leaves me with $700 im the bank so I can burn that on a new D2 coil, instead. 😜

5 hours ago, strick said:

I don’t know that minelab had to allow him to do that. The manticore is in the public’s hands right now...some of us got lucky and got one in the first shipment. For me that was 6 days ago and I could have made videos starting then if I was into that stuff...and I have no affiliation with minelab other then I buy their stuff. Regular guy here. 

Strick

Two other YouTube reviewers stated on recent videos that they did not have permission yet from Minelab to post in the field videos until now. These were likely YouTube field testers and received their Manticores earlier than you did strick. 

Somebody recently posted a "Hat's Off" thank you topic to some other YouTube testers........I am keeping my hat on since it is really cold here but you get my vote for a "Hat's Off" thank you for your posting about your field experience. Same for Gerry from Gerry's Detectors.

Thats interesting It would seem to be open season once the product was released...so he was a tester I did not know that. Maybe since they had prototype versions I guess..thanks for clarifying.

strick 

I don't expect the Manticore to leaps and bounds better than the 800, and even less improvement over the supposedly improved 900. I do think the 2D screen of the Manticore in certain situations will provide more info than a 900 without it can. I guess we won't know how much better the Manticore/MultiIQ+ is until we get good comparisons with it versus the 900. I always thought the CTX was more fluff than real performance gains when compared to the Etrac, but never used a CTX. I actually didn't even really like the Etrac for most of the places I hunted. I really think of the 900 and Manticore the same way.

One of the things I'm wondering is how much the noise cancel on the 900 has been improved. It lacks the the long extended noise cancel press incorporated on the Manticore. If the 900 is not significantly more EMI friendly than the 800 then there is no way I would consider it. EMI is the Equinox's greatest weakness in my opinion.

1 minute ago, longbow62 said:

I don't expect the Manticore to leaps and bounds better than the 800, and even less improvement over the supposedly improved 900.

There seems to be a few here that want a machine that just beeps and give a number...fine have at it...some of us like a little more info.  If you never used a ctx how can you even comment on it? I mean really...I think there are other reasons some of you are poo pooing the manticore but don't want to admit it. 

strick

longbow62, didn't you say you have been on the Manticore waiting list since August or so?

I think you are just experiencing the frustration all of us Pre-Order groupies are experiencing.  Several times I have considered pulling my order and forgetting about the Manticore until spring.  I don't know why these detector manufacturers put us through this. 

what distinguishes the CTX3030 / in the Ferous-Coin setting /... from Etrac.. is stable ID on deep signals..