900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

This sentence in the Manticore manual makes me wonder if the frequency weighting on the Manticore can change slightly using possibly the noise cancel.    Maybe if it picks up problem frequencies in its Multi-IQ+ it offsets them until clean. 

MANTICORE does not have a 4 kHz single frequency
setting. Instead, the All Terrain High Conductors Search
Mode provides a Multi‑IQ+ based mode that can achieve an
operating frequency even lower than 4 kHz. This provides
the benefits of a low frequency/high power mode for
detection and discrimination of high conductors, while
retaining the substantial benefits of Multi‑IQ+.

The way they said "Can Achieve" not "Achieves"

That was a nice catch Phrunt. Especially because if I remember correctly, the Manti's specs say the lowest frequency is 4 khz.

That high conductor mode seems like it will be even lower than the Nox's Park 1, and the Legend's Park M1. Perhaps similar to the Legend's MW SMF mode which is weighted lower than its Park M1 mode, and lower than the Nox's Park 1. More specifically, the Legend's MW mode is 4 khz and 10 khz, but weighted heavily toward 4 khz.

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

All Terrain High Conductors Search
Mode provides a Multi‑IQ+ based mode that can achieve an
operating frequency even lower than 4 kHz.

I think this is how they get the extra detection on high conductors.

On 12/18/2022 at 8:01 AM, PSPR said:

... The two things that turn me off to the 900 aren't even performance issues.  First, that red screen backlight would drive me crazy.  I don't see the TID and other indicators as clearly (judging from the videos) and I don't like it. 

I've used a red LCD detector screen and it works great.  The military uses red during their ops missions.

5 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I've used a red LCD detector screen and it works great.  The military uses red during their ops missions.

In my opinion it would be very beneficial for covert night hunting.

I think those hoping the Nox 900 is a Manticore without the Target trace are dreaming.  There seems to be a lot more under the hood than just adding a software feature like Target trace, for a start one is Multi-IQ and one is Multi-IQ+, whatever that means 🙂  We are trying to work out if it's worth the price difference, they obviously do which is why the price difference exists.

Very much looking forward to the Manticore, I'm sure I'll be able to take full advantage of it's silver capabilities.  The Nox 800 is an outstanding detector, I once thought they'd not be able to improve it performance wise as it was such a leap from previous VLF's yet here we are, a better Nox in the way of the Manticore.  I figured the new Nox 1000 would be what turned out to be the Nox 900 just a 800 with the bugs fixed and expanded target ID's which everyone was screaming out for when the Nox first hit the market, I never expected the Manticore, they certainly took me by surprise and a pleasant one at that.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one.  I would have been very happy if the new Nox 1000 was the Nox 900 and the Manticore didn't exist, so I'm super happy it does exist!

I hope I don't have to buy both to get the best of both worlds, but if I do I can justify it to myself because of how much I like the Nox 800 and it's coil selection.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think those hoping the Nox 900 is a Manticore without the Target trace are dreaming.  There seems to be a lot more under the hood than just adding a software feature like Target trace, for a start one is Multi-IQ and one is Multi-IQ+, whatever that means 🙂  We are trying to work out if it's worth the price difference, they obviously do which is why the price difference exists.

Very much looking forward to the Manticore, I'm sure I'll be able to take full advantage of it's silver capabilities.  The Nox 800 is an outstanding detector, I once thought they'd not be able to improve it performance wise as it was such a leap from previous VLF's yet here we are, a better Nox in the way of the Manticore.  I figured the new Nox 1000 would be what turned out to be the Nox 900 just a 800 with the bugs fixed and expanded target ID's which everyone was screaming out for when the Nox first hit the market, I never expected the Manticore, they certainly took me by surprise and a pleasant one at that.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one.  I would have been very happy if the new Nox 1000 was the Nox 900 and the Manticore didn't exist, so I'm super happy it does exist!

I hope I don't have to buy both to get the best of both worlds, but if I do I can justify it to myself because of how much I like the Nox 800 and it's coil selection.

My first impression of the 900 is ....it's a 800 in new clothes, really nice clothes.   I hit a spot yesterday with the 900 using my 800 settings and it was pretty much identical in performance at this spot, on the day .  EMI is bad here and I wasn't able to run the 900 any higher than the 800. I had almost 5 years on the 800 and I don't think the 900 will hit anything the 800 won't. To be fair, this was only a 2.5 hr hunt, first outing, mild soil, not a nail infested site and no 800 to compare side by side the EMI on that same site.  The 900 is a great value for a first time Nox user or like me, replacing an out of warranty 800.

The red lighted screen is VERY nice and pleasing to the eyes IMO.  The 800 was too bright especially for hunting the beach at night...light pollution takes away the natural night vision.  It has been a while since I've had an 800 in my hands but my memory has me thinking this 900 is a little more chirpy.  I've had to dial it down to around 20ish sensitivity with the 11 inch coil and into the teens with the big 15" CoilTek.  I do have the CoilTek 5x10 coil coming for it too.  I was planning on getting out with it this morning after work and before the Arctic blast hits but I wasn't planning on it to be pouring the rain like it is so that rules that out.

4 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

The red lighted screen is VERY nice and pleasing to the eyes IMO.  The 800 was too bright especially for hunting the beach at night...light pollution takes away the natural night vision.  It has been a while since I've had an 800 in my hands but my memory has me thinking this 900 is a little more chirpy.  I've had to dial it down to around 20ish sensitivity with the 11 inch coil and into the teens with the big 15" CoilTek.  I do have the CoilTek 5x10 coil coming for it too.  I was planning on getting out with it this morning after work and before the Arctic blast hits but I wasn't planning on it to be pouring the rain like it is so that rules that out.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your first impressions are Daniel. I'll have to wait until Monday to take the 900 out again due to the artic blast rolling into Texas today.