X-Terra Pro Seems Nice, My Coil Issue Likely Unique

Dug D

Came home, charged it up, did some testing with supplied 12 inch, all seemed good. Went outside dug some coins still good. 

Decided to do some more testing in my basement only to find my 5 x10 Coiltek and my 6" Minelab Nox coils don't work. 

Connector is correct, and they will air test to just over 1 inch on max sensitivity. (I knew something was wrong as soon as I could max out the sensitivity in the basement.) 

But as they are, they don't function in any way that is useable, I am worried there is no fix, I guess I will be contacting Minelab service. Being able to interchange the coils was my biggest reason to buy it.  😥

Do you need to do a reset on the machine to be able to use those coils?

I've read about this before, it seems only some Nox coils work and its the luck of the draw.  There must be some discrepancy in manufacturing Minelab didn't realize or they'd not have advertised it works with Nox coils.

I wonder if they'll be able to fix it with a firmware update when they acquire some not working coils and see why they don't work.

It's enough for me to hold off on an X-terra anyway as without being able to use my Nox coils I wouldn't overly want it.

Update, I did more checking and even the original Minelab 11 inch nox coil does not work so I figure that if all three don't work they may have a real compatibility problem. 

The Nox coils act like they are at a sensitivity of 1 or 2 when the detector is maxed out at 25. 

For the very short time I used it I really liked the Pro, the 12 inch coil covers a lot of ground, my other smaller coils would be perfect in trash. 

Sent a ticket into Minelab, have to wait and see what they say. 

Minelab service got back to me, they are checking it out and making it right. 🙂

Thanks Minelab. 

1 hour ago, Dug D said:

Minelab service got back to me, they are checking it out and making it right. 🙂

Thanks Minelab. 

Did the say more than that? Checking it out and making it right? Makes no sense, have they asked for your not working coils to be shipped in? Or do they mean they've contacted Minelab Australia about it and are waiting to see what they say.

It seems the coils that don't work need replaced at this stage, unless they're working on a firmware update that will allow the off spec coils to work.

I'm at work and I can give a more clear response after I get home where the detector is. lets not jump to conclusions. 

Probably the last update, at first the response to the service ticket was simple send it back and they will send new. But I received an email from Minelab suggesting a possible easy fix, just turning the detector off then on a second time with the E nox coil(s) attached like normal so it would recognize it. I was stuck at work at the time. 

I was pretty sure that was going to work, it kind of makes sense, and I do have a tendency to rush and overlook the obvious, but unfortunately it didn't work, so I guess I was just unlucky. Fed Ex has it now, with a little "luck" I'll see a new one soon. 

I would note that one of the You Tube guys was running the same Coiltek that I have and it was working fine. 

As far as the detector build and feel, very nice. There is a significant difference in how it detects as you change frequencies. Before I used it I was sure 5 khz would be what I would use, but after a short time 10 khz seemed to be better as a starting point. 

One thing I noticed when testing was the deepest targets will give correct audio tone, but no number ID similar to the Nox. 

Do they want the detector back or the coil?  I hope it's a problem with the detector as I doubt they'll be replacing out of warranty Nox coils that don't work.

They sound like IT support, Did you turn it off and on again 😛

Strange problem for a detector to have, but I guess its teething problems with a new model.  No detector is immune I guess, except the Vanquish, it seems a flawless release, plenty of stock, a good working detector with no known faults or issues upon release.