Quest Pinpointer...you Guys Were Right!

Interesting observations about the F-Pulse/Tekpoint. I have the F-Pulse and have few issues with falsing and when I do, pressing the button while touching the tip to the ground solves it.

Also, I think it's too loud! I actually put a piece of electrical tape over the speaker to make it quieter. I know Fisher/Teknetics updated these pinpointers in the past year or two; not sure what effect that has on these issues, if any.

X-Pointer Max is the one I have.  

I didn't like the MI6 unless it was paired to the Deus.  As a stand alone unit, I didn't like it at all.  The added sensitivity while paired to the Deus really helped it though.  The F-Pulse and TekPoint are indeed the same. I don't like them because of the falsing...and I end up chasing ghost signals/phantom beeps with it.  The AT ProPointer is great except for the battery life.  I think that's going to be a big plus for me for the Quest.  When I charge the detector and headphones, it will be a reminder to also charge the pinpointer.  I usually find out that the Garrett is dead when I am out in the field and a ways from my truck.  

Oddly, I've found my Carrot AT to not be an issue with batteries, lasting weeks of detecting regularly, I've only ever used a rechargeable battery in it though, this one.

powerex.jpg.2cb1e987f24abf208eda75a0f2610938.jpg

Photographers like using them as they are the best performing battery for camera flashes.

powerexflash.png.ee6e8489decf86f8009570458dd08ba2.png

Main Features

• Pre-charged and ready to use out-of-package
  • Low discharge rate allows PRECHARGED batteries to hold 85% for up to one year
  • Rechargeable up to hundreds of times
  • Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries
  • 1pc, 9.6V
  • The Powerex Precharged batteries differ from the competition in that they boast higher capacities as well as increased power retention in storage. The Powerex Precharged batteries can be recharged hundreds of times and perform extraordinarily well at elevated temperatures. In addition, the Powerex Precharged batteries feature a low-impedance design and can deliver a high burst of current.

I haven't had any issues with my battery going flat regularly on me, I even leave my Carrot alone for a few months and come back to using it again fine, I often have no idea when I last charged the battery.

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

Interesting observations about the F-Pulse/Tekpoint. I have the F-Pulse and have few issues with falsing and when I do, pressing the button while touching the tip to the ground solves it.

Also, I think it's too loud! I actually put a piece of electrical tape over the speaker to make it quieter. I know Fisher/Teknetics updated these pinpointers in the past year or two; not sure what effect that has on these issues, if any.

If i were to place a piece of tape over the speaker on my F Pulse i would never hear a sound come out of it

10 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

The Minelab ones are probably the worst of the bunch. 

I guess that I got a good one because I have never had a problem with it.

I ground balance it and it catches every ting I am looking for with no problems.

17 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Garrett AT is one of my favorites but mine goes through batteries like crazy.  I actually wonder if something stays on that drains the battery when it's off...because mine only lasts about 4 to 5 hunts before the battery is spent.

I have noticed that after a couple years, the Garrett PP can start to drain the battery quickly. I found this out after I thought I left it on once and found the battery dead after one hunt. When it happened a second time, I got wise. When I am done with a hunt, I open it up, turn the battery around, and screw the cap on lightly. Not sure what happens, but I have had a couple Garrett's with a bad capacitor in the past. Maybe the two things are connected somehow?

my minelab speaker quit but i slapped in into my hand and works.  i never use the speaker just vibrate.  Thing i don't like is having to look at it every time to find the button due to being round. And it's big . Had the carrot too but sold it to my BIL.

35 minutes ago, Againstmywill said:

I have noticed that after a couple years, the Garrett PP can start to drain the battery quickly. I found this out after I thought I left it on once and found the battery dead after one hunt. When it happened a second time, I got wise. When I am done with a hunt, I open it up, turn the battery around, and screw the cap on lightly. Not sure what happens, but I have had a couple Garrett's with a bad capacitor in the past. Maybe the two things are connected somehow?

That's why I think mine is draining power even when OFF.  That's exactly how mine has done...think I left it on after the last hunt but didn't.  I'm thinking mine was dead out of the box too.

The reason I say the Minelab ones are NG is because the one I had, you practically had to be touching the object to get it to sound off.  Even in YouTube comparisons, they are the weakest ones available.  If I have to touch it to get it to sound off, that means I can probably see it with my eyes and don't need a probe for that to begin with.  The Quest is fitting the bill so far...although I did have to reduce sensitivity from the Max setting.  It was actually TOO sensitive.

I have the earlier version of the X-Pointer Max and just haven't gelled with it. I love the ferrous/non-ferous discrimination and would love to see that in all pinpointers, but my X-Max is a little wonkey and it falses too much in Boost and High mode. I may have to look into the 2023 version.

I have the F-Pulse too and love it, but when I first got it I noticed it falsing too much until I found the apparently super secret second manual that's not included with the unit, but Carl graciously posted on DP. It shows you how to clear up all the issues and even explains how they happen. My F-Pulse has been perfect ever since. Here's that second FP manual for those that may be interested.

Fisher_F-Pulse_OperationR2.rtf

Quest Xpointer Max for me too ... Lithium battery , digital display , iron discrimination ... For me it outperforms the competitors for these 3 reasons . An excellent choice for inland relic/coin hunting