First Wheatie!

Yeah, underwhelming I know, but I just pulled a 1955-D wheat penny out of the ground from my kids' school today during a quick 30 minute detecting window.

Should be an entry-level bucket list item, I know -- I've already ticked off sliver, buffalo nickel, and jewely (no gold) so far -- but the wheaties have eluded me until today.  Fun part is it was found on the  section of the "old" playground (school builit in 1959) that I tried to hunt last summer as a newbie, and couldn't figure out how to sort out the signals or dig into the shallow gravel bed at the time. Pulled the wheatie and a '65 (so close to silver) Roosevelt tonight, so there's a definite indication I'm leveling up here.

I used a Legend for the wheatie. but I can also say I pulled a big fat stainless ring last Thursday running the Nox 800 w/a 6" coil on a new location (local park where one of the kids had soccer practice that evening). Hopefully the next level is gold!

Good job, glacialgold! Personally I love finding wheaties which are getting scarce where I live. Heck I even get a little rush from finding a copper memorial instead of a zincoln... pretty sad, huh? 😉

Great work on the wheatie and just keep at it, I know those old schools have a lot of trash in them so dig everything that you can . You will be surprised at what comes out of the ground.

Good luck on your next outing.

I love finds Wheats. Good job.

I like wheats too.  I take them as a good indicator of the time the site was in use.  I keep telling myself if there are wheats, then the other coins (non-nickel…) will be silver.  Of course, the only two silver war nickels I found were next to old schools…

Wheaties don't always indicate potential silver. While silver coins were plucked from circulation in the 70s and 80s, wheaties were ignored for the most part. It was not unusual to see a wheatie or two in pocket change 20 years ago.

True, but if you’re finding 19 teens from a site which was in use at that time, or a consistency in dates (like 40s and 50s pennies and nickels), then I consider that at least a hopeful indicator that similar period coinage of higher denomination may be present.  Hey, a guy’s got to hope doesn’t he?  😁

You are now a member of the exclusive & elite "wheatie" club.   Next month it will be a merc.   Then a few more months till a barber.   Then a seated, etc...  Bucket listers will fly past !   Within 2 yrs :  Any gold coin newer than 1850 will bore you to tears !  😉