Is It Time To Move On Beyond Whites Metal Detectors?

If two weeks use with one detector equals a years finds with another, I believe the year old detector must have a fault, I could use my cheapest detector and find an estimated 90% of the targets my best detector finds in a park type situation.  Others have variables that change that but not as significant as a years finds vs 2 weeks finds you would think.  I'd be looking into if your 800 is faulty.

• Like 2

Seems like White's was the "First Love" for many of us.  Not so easy to give up the memories. Funny how the new machines often gets compared to 20-30 year old White's detectors.  Say IDX Pro, XL Pro, MXT, XLT, DFX, Hum even the 6000 series of the 80's.  People remember the joy they got from them.  For me the "Silver" Gold rings came with those old detectors.  As I get older the time flies by in a hurry.  My MXT is getting old, Looks good yet, I keep it clean.  No plans to give it up. 

Recent buy is a "Closet Queen" 2017 MXSport.  Still has the screen plastic film on it. Got it for less than half of new price. I just happening to see it about to end on Ebay, Threw a bid out there not thinking I'd get it, But dang it I did.

I haven't been on the forums for years, I never knew the "Drama" of the MXSport. So when I got the win, I came to the forums.  Now I didn't know about the problems, The dates of problems. I waited for the delivery wanting to see if the screen was cracked, Was the "Sat" a 6 or 8?  What was the date and was there a "Smiley sticker".  Well it didn't have any of those problems. Seems I missed the bullet. 

Well then it's time to see If I can make it work for me. I have little time on it. Felt the "Nose" was heavy and Like my MXT a smaller coil was going to be needed. Found a "Six Shooter" and when I took the 10 DD off, WOW no wonder it's nose heavy. With the smaller Concentric coil it became a whole new detector.  My relic sites, iron infested, hard worked for even the MXT.  With that coil and working many setting I found it could separate targets, Recovery speed is great. 

Like I said I have little time on it and need more time with it, But I really feel there is something here that's gonna work for me. I'm not going to drag you thru the battle as you all had enough of that.  I do think there is some of you who have found the MXSport to be worth the effort to tame. 

I have been spending hours looking over the posts, Trials and efforts of your ordeals with the (Digital) MXSport.   I Have always loved the 5.3 coil in its's many names over the years. 

• Like 6

Once the 6” Shooter Coil goes on you’ll never take it off……got one on my MX7 and it really is a formidable coil…..the target ID is laser sharp. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 1:27 AM, Tony said:

...my MX7...

Which is just the non-waterproof version of the MXSport?  @KD8GIS should look for threads that discuss this detector experiences, etc.

On 5/11/2023 at 8:56 PM, KD8GIS said:

Seems like White's was the "First Love" for many of us.  Not so easy to give up the memories.

People think I'm harsh on White's. I find that funny. I'm just into reality, things as they are. White's was a company and some detectors, not my dog or my best friend. Still, I have had a long history and a lot of great memories myself that revolve around White's, and owned and sold a lot more of their detectors than most anyone here. Here are a few memories:

steve-herschbach-shows-off-ganes-creek-gold.jpg

• Like 7

My TDI SL still delivers and it's over a decade old.  Still the go to machine in my coal slack areas, hands down.

PI's rule there.

• Like 1

I get ya Steve.  Recent forum read, The  "VLF" Machines ability's  "hasn't changed since the 90's or before" Depth at about the limit for VLF"  What's new is the ability to ID finds with bells and whistles.  Steve did you ever get the chance to try the MXS with the "Six Shooter".

I read a lot about the new machines which talk about being able to find targets masked by iron/trash. I have also read on some of the threads where after 5-6 inches a majority of VLF detectors can't accurately ID coins.  I can only speak for my experience with White's.  I never could afford owning different brands. 

My main focus is on Civil war relics (West Virginia) and coin shooting for very old coins. I have learned much from Your forum and will contribute what I can.. Thanks Steve 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KD8GIS said:

I get ya Steve.  Recent forum read, The  "VLF" Machines ability's  "hasn't changed since the 90's or before" Depth at about the limit for VLF"  What's new is the ability to ID finds with bells and whistles.  Steve did you ever get the chance to try the MXS with the "Six Shooter".

I read a lot about the new machines which talk about being able to find targets masked by iron/trash. I have also read on some of the threads where after 5-6 inches a majority of VLF detectors can't accurately ID coins.  I can only speak for my experience with White's.  I never could afford owning different brands. 

My main focus is on Civil war relics (West Virginia) and coin shooting for very old coins. I have learned much from Your forum and will contribute what I can.. Thanks Steve 

Like Steve said in a post above yours: "I am just into reality, things as they are."

For me, the reality is that I owned a DFX, V3i, MXT, MX5, MX7 (with stock 950, 12", Shooter and Detech 7" and Ultimate coils) and tried to use them all effectively in the moderate to high mineralization in my area. These hunting conditions are the reality here in parts of Colorado. Those detectors could barely detect a US clad quarter at 6" here. US dimes and nickel and any other low to mid conductor coin sized targets had solid IDs if they were within 3" of the surface. That's about it. Did I like those detectors for their build quality, being made in the USA and at the time good features? Absolutely. Were they really appropriate for deeper target hunting out here? Absolutely not.

I still own a Garrett Whites 24K. Great detector.

I also own the other detectors in my profile signature. All of those VLFs are recently released simultaneous multi frequency detectors. All will easily hit and ID a US quarter, US dime, US nickel, three ringer, etc at 10" in the bad dirt here and will hit and ID the same targets at 12 to 14" in milder dirt on the Colorado Eastern Plains and at fresh and saltwater beaches that I have been to.

I have yet to find the bell or whistle features that have been repeatedly mentioned by people that don't own these detectors.

That is reality for me. It is also why I have had to move on from most White's detectors.

• Like 4

I was hoping "The forums" Would still have a section for those who enjoy White's.  Without having to defend the brand. If I had a friend I'd like to teach metal detecting to, I'd think an IDX Pro would be a good choice. NOPE I'm not in Colorado nor prospect or even do beaches.  I expect a PI detector would put my VLF single frequency to shame. 

The hobby has moved on to?  Well it seems it's moved on without me.  Maybe I stopped with forums years ago for that reason.  Ya know it seems now to be about My detector is better than yours.  I'll still learn what I can learn here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KD8GIS said:

No, I never actually got my hands on a properly working MX Sport and bailed out in the midst of all the issues it was having. It’s a very good detector though once the bugs got worked out, and no reason why you can’t do well with it or the MXT. Jeff’s conditions are exceptional in the extreme, and mot reflective of what detectors can normally do in most locations.

Power is not everything. I like my DFX precisely because it’s not an overdriven high gain detector that bangs on the tiniest aluminum bits. :smile:

• Like 2