Deus 2 Update V1.0 Released

Sandheron

My guess is they used the word "free" as a form of marketing, to say look we do updates to our detector for free which improve performance, I highly doubt they're considering charging for updates.

The reason for signing up to their website to be able to get updates is nothing unusual either, it's great for marketing and research purposes.  They harvest every Deus users email address and send them newsletters and the like of their new products and whatever else they feel like sending out.

It's the same reason Minelab request you sign up to their site to register your warranty, it's information harvesting, you have warranty regardless as you have your receipt from the dealer with date of purchase, there is really no need to sign up at all and when people say oh but it's so they have your detector registered so it makes warranty easier it makes it no different, your proof of purchase is still required to claim the warranty as registering the warranty has no proof of date of purchase, only the receipt does that.

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

My guess is they used the word "free" as a form of marketing, to say look we do updates to our detector for free which improve performance, I highly doubt they're considering charging for updates.

The reason for signing up to their website to be able to get updates is nothing unusual either, it's great for marketing and research purposes.  They harvest every Deus users email address and send them newsletters and the like of their new products and whatever else they feel like sending out.

It's the same reason Minelab request you sign up to their site to register your warranty, it's information harvesting, you have warranty regardless as you have your receipt from the dealer with date of purchase, there is really no need to sign up at all and when people say oh but it's so they have your detector registered so it makes warranty easier it makes it no different, your proof of purchase is still required to claim the warranty as registering the warranty has no proof of date of purchase, only the receipt does that.

Yeah I’m not reading too much into it either.  If they didn’t say “free”, new users would question whether or not they’d be charged if they clicked on it.  Marketers are darned if they do or darned if they don’t. Either way they don’t care because it’s the support team that has to deal with what they did😀

Nokta has been touting their no charge/free updates in their marketing. This has not been ignored by other manufacturers.

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

This is a nice speech, Phrunt. 👍

On 5/18/2023 at 5:24 AM, 619_805_okie said:

Id be willing to pay if we got quality updates more frequently.

Personnaly I would never pay for a detector software update, whatever the brand . Not only because of the money , but because of the risks of being hacked .

It is always risky to give bank accounts infos to a site . Only Amazon and Microsoft have mine ...