Axiom Tips For Intermittent Wireless Headphone Signal

3 hours ago, RedDirtDan said:

I think I'm going to invest in the WR-1. It was just frustrating the other night with the constant drop outs even just swinging. out in front of me. Using my XP the following day with the WSAudio wireless headphones (even though they aren't super comfortable) worked flawless in the same location all day.

I admit I've also just plugged wired phones in and got on about business. I still think a wired connection beats any wireless signal both for audio quality and response.

Another thing I might try, though as I say, the WR-1 largely fixed the issue anyway, is plug the WT-1 transmitter into the Axiom for use with the WR-1, effectively moving the transmitter to a new location outside the box. Will that help with the wireless headphones without WR-1? If so, that would indicate some issue with where the transmitter is located internally in the Axiom. I have the WT-1 so I can use the WR-1 with all my other detectors.

Reading and following along here as I'm fairly illiterate on the tech aspects of the "wireless" connections but learning.

This leaves me 🤔 wondering if the Axiom wireless system will be handicapped even more severely with a control box cover in use ????

Has anyone tried it with a cover on ? 🙈🧐🤔

• 2 weeks later...

As an update - I read about LED head torches emitting EMI - I was using a pretty bright headtorch when my Z-Lynk was playing up and obviously the headtorch is right next to the MS3's....

Something to check out next time I guess.

3 hours ago, RedDirtDan said:

As an update - I read about LED head torches emitting EMI - I was using a pretty bright headtorch when my Z-Lynk was playing up and obviously the headtorch is right next to the MS3's....

Not sure about the battery powered ones, but LED lights in my house are by far the latest and greatest source of new EMI that affects my detectors.

Some reading on LED's and EMI

https://emcfastpass.com/emi-led-lighting/

Some methods of having LED's in homes is pretty nasty for EMI, especially the down light style converting AC to DC.

I actually thought about this thread the other day when I was running my AT Max. I sat the detector down and walked 50 or 60feet away to get a drink out of the canteen in the Jeep. The MS 3 HPs stayed connected the whole time though the EMI static volume seemed to fade some.  On the other hand it did take 5 or 6 tries to get the AT pin pointer to pair back up with the MS 3 HPs after being paired with the Z Lynk receiver on the Vista X.   I'm amazed how well all this wireless stuff works despite the little glitches.

Aren't the onboard lights many detectors now sport to shine on the coil LED? I have never used mine.

Yes, but the LED lights don't cause EMI, the AC to DC conversion process does, the detector doesn't have AC.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 8:28 AM, dirtman said:

Reading and following along here as I'm fairly illiterate on the tech aspects of the "wireless" connections but learning.

This leaves me 🤔 wondering if the Axiom wireless system will be handicapped even more severely with a control box cover in use ????

Has anyone tried it with a cover on ? 🙈🧐🤔

I've used it with a cover and it still dropped out the same as when the protective cover was off. A bit of fabric or plastic isn't really going to affect radio frequencies (hence why you can put plastic in a microwave and it doesn't heat up - the Z-lynk system operates at 2.4Ghz which is the same RF frequency as a microwave and many other ISM - Industrial, Scientific and Medical  devices operate on), the issue is clearly within the PCB.

Link to Axiom FCC filing photos attached showing TI module and antenna placement

On 7/12/2023 at 9:11 PM, RedDirtDan said:

I had the exact same issue, LED headlight causing weird EMI. I know there are better LED lights that aren't as bad and will be looking into that.

As a side note, I use to make my own amplifiers and transmitters for my GPZ7000 (sold it now) and used guitar 5.8g (and 2.4g ones) transmitters off Aliexpress and some of their cheap audio amp boards with a good speaker and the sound quality was amazing, loud, NEVER dropped out, and stayed connected 30m in bush and 50m in direct line of sight. How can the GPZ7000 and Axiom proprietary comms be so bad and the cheap Aliexpress units be so good? I will be working on one for my Axiom with the WR-1 asap or moving to the guitar units an bypass the sadly under-performing OEM Z-lync...