Garrett Axiom Rye Patch Rain And Nuggets

Thanks for the good report.

Any gold from there is good right now.  

• Like 3

Just a reminder - if you get into real bad salt ground go to Salt Mode. It will lose the smallest nuggets, but allow more sensitivity and possibly get better depth on larger nuggets by eliminating the salt signal. Buried test nuggets really help in situations like this.

Great report Mark, and congrats on finally getting that Rye Patch gold!

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just a reminder - if you get real bad salt ground go to Salt Mode. It will lose the smallest nuggets, but allow more sensitivity and possibly get better depth on larger nuggets by eliminating the salt signal. Buried test nuggets really help in situations like this. Great report Mark, and congrats on finally getting that Rye Patch gold!

The second nugget I found weighed .10grams, but has some caliche/mud atatched to it still.  It was very very faint in "fine" timing and sensitivity 2.  I tested the signal while still in the ground changing settings.  At sensitivity 3, the target was much clearer and definite.  I did switch to "salt" setting and did not get a response at sensitivity 2 or 3.  After the testing, I set the Axiom to a sensitivity of 3 for most of the rest of the day.  I did use sens. 4 briefly, but preferred the quieter 3 setting.

I believe the ability to manually select different modes or timings on the Axiom are what set it apart from more automatic units like the ML 6k.  Got salt?  Switch to salt mode without need to swapping to a different DD coil.  Too many tiny shards of iron from cans or wires wasting time?  Switch to normal timing to knock out the tiny targets.  And even low sensitivity settings find the gold, and quite tiny and coarse too.  I have more sub .1gr nuggets with the Axiom so far than I ever got with the GPX 5000 and even my SDC!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Great report and glad that you were able to walk away with some gold.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've "taken to" the Axiom well 👍

I'm a Lurker trying to learn as much as possible about this USA entry to Electronic Prospecting.

My main concern yet is to start seeing nuggets being detected at depths, like 6 to 18 inches 😎🤠🎯

Good Luck an Happy Huntn !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dirtman said:

My main concern yet is to start seeing nuggets being detected at depths, like 6 to 18 inches

I’ve seen a bunch of them over 6” but that’s takes actually having the detector and digging the holes. :smile:

For 18” to happen it would have to be a Real Nugget though, and those are very few and far between these days, with any model of detector. I’ve dug some deep ones with Axiom but so far they were not gold. My deepest gold nugget with Axiom so far was around 12” more or less.

I don’t get into depth quotes much, never have, because frankly when nugget hunting I don’t care. I just dig big holes fast, and only pay attention when the pile of dirt goes beep. I’m not going to scrape down an inch at a time trying to see how deep stuff is. So most of my depth stuff is pretty fuzzy, as in “wow, that was pretty deep.” Truth is out of the tens of thousands of nuggets I’ve dug (not exaggerating) the vast bulk were less than a foot. The bread and butter smaller nuggets don’t get found to great depths.

• Like 8

We were camped out on the South end Jim Williams memorial site same time as you were there, mon-thur, I was giving a couple greenhorns lessons on vlfs but they were falsing in the saturated ground excessively, was a bad time for that with the saturated ground, my gpx6000 ran quiet in same soils, with the exceed 12x7. My internal speaker went south out there just after the minelab fix, it still works with the bluetooth headphones or earbuds. Annoying for sure. That storm tue afternoon was a humdinger, it had the ravines around us roaring for a few hrs. No gold for us. But a great time out camping and cooking.

• Like 1