Anybody Seeing Depth Issues With The Manticore Update?

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I think 25% of sensitivity is too low, and I wouldn't run that low, but running the Manticore at 16 out of 35 gives great depth I think Equal to the Equinox, and very stable operation.  

...That seems more reasonable to me. 25% seemed little to me.

I also share the idea of maximum sensitivity and total stability for a machine of relative quality.

I think you have to give the new update a little more time to see results.

I'll keep an eye on the thread, it's interesting...

We don't have the history here nor the population.   And most finds are very modern.  As Phrunt said, you can run it at 35, but I find signals much more stable at low power.  Also our clad coin here in Canada is iron core multi layer.  And shows up as garbage signal with anything over 18 power.  So, there's a trade off.  Jewelry mid to high power or clad with low power.  

A friend of mine that hunts with a Garrett A/T Pro,  runs at 2 to 4 and finds lots of clad and jewelry.   

• Like 1

I'm able to run up to 23 in Beach Low Conductors for the sand and 18 to 19 in Surf and Seawater when in the water. Starts getting a bit chatty if I go higher than that. I haven't done the update.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TripleT said:

Also our clad coin here in Canada is iron core multi layer.  And shows up as garbage signal with anything over 18 power.  So, there's a trade off.  Jewelry mid to high power or clad with low power.  

so running multi-freq @ around 16 sensitivity gives a decent signal on iron-core clad? Can you say a bit more on this, ie what settings you use and what they sound like. I use my EQ800 @ single freq and do ok on these...

I did this with the Nox.  It was explained this way.  High power from detector over excites the multi metal clad and causes a multitude of eddy currents, which in turn make the detector's filtering circuits over work and sometimes get confused.   No problem for a pure metal or alloy, but nickel, iron, tin and zinc in a conglomerate... kind of like a bottle cap.  

I detect in a high mineralized environment.  And the stabilizer works for me.  It works really well on land, but lake and river hunting is a totally different story.  

Personally, I haven't noticed any depth issues with the update. I was out last week and pulled a Merc at about 7 inches. This past weekend I found a few Wheaties and one of them was around 8 inches.

I crank my sensitivity up at around 28 to 29 because I like to run my machines as hot as I can. Depending on your soil that may not be an option but it works for me.

Hope you get the issue resolved. There's a lot of people on this forum that are really smart and are always happy to help.

Happy hunting!

John

• Like 2

abenson has been detecting longer and knows more about detecting than most people. If he says his update went sideways, you can take that to the bank. That’s not to say the update is no good and that others are not getting good results. It’s saying something went probably went wrong with his update on his detector. 

• Like 5

I think the change in flash tool is related to the processor change to the Nordic, the Equinox was a different tool for the different hardware, it flashed the bootloader and as part of the flash and if it fails or is corrupted then kiss it goodbye, which is why if with your Equinox and detectors like the Legend if your flash is interrupted from a power loss or you knocking your USB cable out you can brick your detector, with the Manticore you can rip your cord out in the middle of the update all you like, multiple times, all you have to do is plug your detector in and start the process again, the worst case scenario doing this is you may lose any saved settings.  The Manticore doesn't seem to update the firmware on an EEPROM at all, it seems as if it's copying files onto some internal storage more like how the operating system runs on a computer and part of this process would always be CRC checking just like it is with an EEPROM firmware flash, if a file lands on there and CRC checks incorrectly the tool would reattempt the transfer and if it keeps erroring on the CRC check the tool would report an error and say update failed.

Minelab won't be the ones making the flash tool, they're customizing a manufacturer supplied tool, putting the user interface onto it basically.      They could easily release an older version tool for people to roll back if they wanted to, they'll have that readily available, they've been chopping the firmware around on test detectors for a year or more.   I believe you'd have to roll back your headphones too as the headphones don't seem to connect to the new firmware until they're updated as well so they would have to also release a rollback headphone firmware.

I have no doubt Daniel has a problem, but I wonder if the problem was preexisting and the new firmware made it apparent, like a slightly out of spec coil or something.   It would be so good if someone lived right near him and could troubleshoot it together swapping coils and playing around to directly compare the two.

It would be good if Minelab put an initial release firmware on their website for people to roll back if they wanted to for whatever reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I have no doubt Daniel has a problem,...

Do you mean 'Andrew' = 'Andy' = abenson?

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

It would be good if Minelab put an initial release firmware on their website for people to roll back if they wanted to for whatever reason.

"Good?"  Understatement of the day..., no, make that 'month' at least.

Before the update the D2 and Manticore were pretty dang close in depth, the D2 held a better ID than the Manticore though. Did some more testing Monday night with different targets buried at different depths and I've found the smaller the target the worse the Manticore performs. It's almost like the stabilizer won't turn off or something. In the 3 bar dirt I was testing the detectors in, the D2 on a penny is easily 2 inches deeper than the Manticore. But the real kicker is on a small pewter button the D2 is like 3 plus inches deeper. If I don't hear from Minelab soon, I'm going to put a video up to show what's going on.

• Like 3