My GPX 6000 Headphone Take A Puke On My Rye Patch Hunt!

I couldn’t wait to get out after seeing Calmark & Gerry’s Flood Pictures of Rye Patch dry washes!  Though I’d give it a few days to dry out and for a Road Crew to fix the main dirt roads.  Road Crew, did a great job with a new Culvert installed on the main drainage of Poker Brown wash and regraded it to my left turn to the Majuba Placer.  I was impressed with the erosion of this storm, had to be one for the record book.  Being a student of Hydrology during my dredging years, I learned each flood was different from each other in their course of moving material down a drainage.  I had my eyes set on two dry washes that produced well for me in the past, both with shallow bedrock.  Parked and loaded up my RZR, I headed off to the first location.  Donning my gear, I was hoping my Headphones took a charge.  My charging light wouldn’t show it was charging, I was hoping the light was just burnt out.  Anyways, it was working just fine as I was swinging my coil on the short hike to this small section of dry wash.  I arrived, and looked down at my location…it was nearly unrecognizable and was covered with yards of fresh packed dirt.  I looked up stream, to see what caused this mess.  The wash had such a flow 25 yards above my spot it cut a new channel and layed all the overburdened to the slowdown bend of my location.  I still swung it and the new cut to no avail, I’ll wait for the next flood to see if it moves the overburdened…I hate shoveling 😂.  Next spot, was perfect!  The flow exposed my favorite 10 ft section of Shale.  I swung into this area 20 ft above the exposed section to give my 6000 a chance to ground balance.  I was eyeballing a spot during my slow sweeps of my 10x5 Coiltek and as soon as I went over the bedrock I heard the sweet sound of my plan come alive.  Keeping my eye on the spot,  I set my detector down ahead of me it made a familiar tone and I gently raised it up and back down, yes another target.  We’ll long story short, I pulled these seven out of the 10 ft section.  When I first found this spot many Moons ago it was a good 8” down to the bedrock and produced several 2+ dwt nuggets.  Thru the many new models of Minelab detectors it produced other nuggets and I’m sure the 6000 just clean this exposed section out for good.  Except now, I’m sure the Gold goes into the 3ft bank of overburdened of the wash on top of this bedrock, I hate shovels!  I’ll bank this spot just in case they redesign a shovel into a backhoe!  It was late in the day and I headed back to camp before dark.  It was a windy night and the morning it died down to a tolerable wind speed for detecting.  At my location and 10 minutes in, my detector made a noise I hadn’t heard before!  I looked down at my battery charge and it was only down a third.  Well it was working fine and continued my hunt a few minutes later the same noise?  A few minutes later and my headphones turned off 🙁.  I tried, for 30 minutes with just the unit’s speaker and as much as I like the speaker it wasn’t good enough with my worn out Military Hearing fighting against the breeze of the High Plane Desert.  Beautiful weather and I hated to leave, got home and found the On-line repair ticket of Minelab USA.  Until the next Hunt!

LuckyLundy

70909251987__4B629966-CBC0-4FC8-B101-35AAFC3392A5.jpeg

Nice story about your gold finds, got to be happy with that.  Sorry to hear about your headphones, sounds like a rare event as I've not heard of another similar case so just some bad luck for a LuckyLundy 🙂  At least the gold would have made the day a happy one regardless.

That is why I carry the wired cable with me at all times when I am prospecting as a backup to wireless.  Of course I am assuming that the detector will provide power, to the wireless headphones, through the cable and it will work even if the headphones are not powered up, will have to test this.

I tested it and it works with the cable and without powering up the headphones so it looks like the headphones are just passive when used with the oem cable.

I have a set of the Avantree neck headphones!  But, of course I left them on my workbench charging up, as backup to stock head set!  Always forget something, but never drinking water!

Rick

I always carry a spare set of the Blue XP wired headphones with me when ever i go out,they are very cheap,lightweight,fold down into a very small space and the audio quality from such a cheap backup set is absolutely amazing and of course very good during the hot summer months as well.