Introducing The Minelab Profind 40

You can use a true 9.6v 230mAh battery in your Pro-Find to bring it up to 2.2WH, a good battery doesn't make a good pin pointer though 🙂 I'm still on my first ever battery in my Pro-Find 35, plenty of juice left in it yet, in saying that its hours of use a pretty low.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Thx,  then to summarize   :

- ML profind  :

1 X 9V NiMh rechargeable Energizer  175mAh X 9V     --> capacity  1,6WH

- Teknetics Tekpoint : 
 X AA NiMh rechargeable Lekium  2100mAh X 1,2V   --> capacity   2,5WH

- Sphinx 03

Li ion embedded battery                   720mAh X 3,7V    --> capacity  2,7 WH          

I repeat once again, these figures do not fully reflect how the pinpointer will show itself in operation, since the current consumption is not indicated next to it.

On 8/10/2023 at 10:05 AM, phrunt said:

You can use a true 9.6v 230mAh battery in your Pro-Find to bring it up to 2.2WH, a good battery doesn't make a good pin pointer though 🙂 I'm still on my first ever battery in my Pro-Find 35, plenty of juice left in it yet, in saying that its hours of use a pretty low.

Ok for the 9,6 X 230 thx . 

I like the Profind 35 and its iron disc , but several times I have had issues with the 9V battery going off in the field . Never had such an issue with the Quest Xmax with its embedded Li on battery which lasts much longer,  with a very low discharge rate when not used compared to the Ni MH . Actually I was never confident with the Profind 35 battery system , this is the only reason why I changed for the Quest .

I dont like the 9V battery connectors too , they are outdated to my opinion .   For me it is just far more friendly to recharge a device using an USB cable like on all of our smartphones for example  . 

Minelab just sent out a marketing email saying this: 

Designed for the complete detectorist, the PRO-FIND 40 pinpointer features increased depth, adjustable 5-level sensitivity, Rapid Re-tune, ferrous tone ID, high visibility and handy lost-alarm. With the PRO-FIND 40 discover coins, rings and gold precisely — on land and under water — with unparalleled depth and speed. 

So they're saying the Pro-Find 40 is the deepest pinpointer on the market? Speed is an interesting term to use, are they referring to recovery speed so you can swing it around quickly in the hole or are they talking ease of recovery with the discrimination feature making it fast to recover targets? 

Either way, a bold statement with the unparalleled depth.  By the sounds of it they think it makes all other pin pointers obsolete 🙂

I'm honestly tempted to buy one, I just can't believe what I consider the best metal detector company on the planet can't make a good pinpointer and I often joked the Pro-Find's were made by an apprentice or a high school kid on work experience at Minelab, the Pro-Find 35 wasn't even better than most of the Chinese clone pin pointers, they in fact worked better than my Pro-Find 35 even though I had it swapped out to another one to ensure it wasn't a dud. 

I've bought a couple of Chinese fakes of Carrots otherwise known as GP-Pointers to test them out as they were so cheap it wasn't much more than buying a Big Mac meal it was worth it just to see how they go, and honestly, they were more stable and just as sensitive as my 35 (happy to do a video to prove it) but now this new video states one of the features of the 40 is reliable stability, and if in reality this is true the pin pointer will be pretty good.

To quote the marketing department.... Ultimate Stability, Trust all signals.

If I do buy it and it turns out the opposite, I won't be gentle with my opinions 🙂

Off topic a bit.. does anyone know where can I find the outer shell for minelab profind 35? the Power button is hard to press and now its become.

20230814_173541.jpg

20230814_173527.jpg

Called Minelab distributor here, they said Minelab doesn't sell the spare part for pinpointer

7 hours ago, fishersari said:

Off topic a bit.. does anyone know where can I find the outer shell for minelab profind 35? the Power button is hard to press and now its become.

20230814_173541.jpg

20230814_173527.jpg

Called Minelab distributor here, they said Minelab doesn't sell the spare part for pinpointer

Maybe you can find someone with a dead Pro Find 35 that they might give to you (or sell it real cheap) to use the case. Mine finally died after 4 years but I found it had developed a crack along the black barrel close to the handle and water got into it, so I threw it away. 

This is a depth/sensitivity comparison video between the Profind 40 and the Garrett Pro Pointer AT (aka Carrot). It's done by Tony (5280 Adventures and Relics Radio Podcast) who is a personal friend of mine (not online friend, I mean in person, hunting buddy friend). I think you can accept whatever he says and shows in this video as pretty accurate. He does not have any affiliation with these companies anymore and is very independent and truthful. Anyone can make mistakes but I would trust this video.

Looked to me like the Carrot was the best in that test, at approximately the 3:43 mark he lifts the Pro-Find away and it goes nuts in the air, this is the problem I have with my 35 so it looks like that problem possibly isn't resolved on the 40.   

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

This is a depth/sensitivity comparison video between the Profind 40 and the Garrett Pro Pointer AT (aka Carrot). It's done by Tony (5280 Adventures and Relics Radio Podcast) who is a personal friend of mine (not online friend, I mean in person, hunting buddy friend). I think you can accept whatever he says and shows in this video as pretty accurate. He does not have any affiliation with these companies anymore and is very independent and truthful. Anyone can make mistakes but I would trust this video.

Interesting.  I can't hear my Carrot in day to day use.  And I can't hear it on this video either.  I assume it wasn't in vibrate only.  People tell me mine isn't either.  I can't hear it at all though.  But the vibrate works fine.

- Dave