Spoiled To A Pin Pointer

I got out early this morning before it got hot to run my new to me MXT with the new to me 13" Detech Ultimate.  Got on site and dang if I didn't leave my hunting bag at home. No big deal, I hunted for years (years ago) with out a hand held pin pointer.   Wrong!  It took at least twice as long to locate the dug targets. I didn't know I was so spoiled.  I remember when I first got a Garrett pin pointer and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I was right.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Never have detected without a pinpointer, but I feel your pain.

It must be a lot of extra time on your knees waving handfulls of dirt over the coil...kind of like nugget hunting. Hopefully you had a plastic scoop, at least?

I just had my own "new to me" MXT out early today before it got too hot. Took it over to a nearby elementary schoolyard I've worked over extensively with the Nox 800 and Legend. Today's outing was a skunk, unfortanately, even though I did remember to bring the Garrett pinpointer. I find solace in knowing this outing today saved the children from many jagged chunks of can slaw, should they be running barefoot 4-6" deep in the soil. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know how you feel JCR and i could not agree more with your thoughts.However to be honest I sometimes still find myself not grabbing the pointer from my pouch but instead reverting back to the old method of grabbing handfulls of dirt and waving them over the coil.Perhaps it's a nostalgia thing and yearning for the days of old? Or maybe it's more about not being able to completely let go of not old but ancient habits? Either way I too feel handicapped without one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I love pin pointers, they're my hidden addiction.  I even buy spares of my favourite models.  I have two Garrett AT's and 3 TRX's, admittedly the 3 TRX's were to try buy one that works as well as people say they do thinking I must be getting bad ones 🙂

The best thing about them in park type situations is you don't need to make a mess, you can do neat tidy holes and often not even need a digging tool to do the least damage possible to be a good detector user and leave the place as good or better than you found it.

My dig hole without a pinpointer

pinpointerhole.gif.4110be578be0d09750e90be3b302c9bf.gif

and my dig hole with one

dighole.thumb.jpg.8c8d234e68589987b30ad156fed41136.jpg

I never leave home detecting without one, I'm one of the few that use them for gold prospecting too, and find them beneficial for that also.

You'll see me take advantage of it in this short video, knowing where to bash the rock out, no easy task so knowing where to do it makes life easier.

That's classic phrunt Your dig hole without the pinpointer could become a common site once the XP Extrem Hunter hits the market a ends up in the hands of people who do not know how to use it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I now have an emergency pin pointer, hand trowel & nail apron under the seat of the jeep.😁

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JCR said:

I now have an emergency pin pointer, hand trowel & nail apron under the seat of the jeep.😁

My wife and I go out in our side by side and I keep a spare detecting pouch, two pin pointers, digging shovel,pick, hand digger and other things I think we might need when we go out, and just in case I forget anything in my regular detecting pouch and I keep an ice chest on it to put water, snacks and a few things to eat while we are out, you just never know when something is going to go side ways and you have to spend the night out in the boonies I even carry a couple of sleeping bags and pillows with us, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

My dig hole without a pinpointer

So your the one that made that dang hole!

I want you to know that I fell into that hole last year and it took me 2 days to climb out of  it. Lost 6 pounds and and my wallet.

Please next time just fill your holes back in .

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m pretty well covered on the pinpointer front:          
XP Mi6,        XP Mi4,

Garrett pp AT   ( AKA Garrett Carrot)

Garrett pro pointer II

old original Garrett propointer

always keep a spare in the car glove compartment. They all get used but my favorites are the XP and Carrot. 

• Like 3