How Would You Like To Run Into This Big Boy Out Detecting?

Hey Strick, I myself spent 12 years in NakNek / King Salmon area, I know that dump well, Haha !! Operation Manager / Refrigeration Tech for the 2 big shipping companies out of Bristol Bay..  I am a Silver Salmon Derby Winner out of Eddies Fireplace Inn in King Salmon, A lot of Great memories and Experiences from there. What Cannery did you guy's deliver to ? Also crab fish & tendered Herring and Salmon on the Crabber FV Seabrook, Much Younger Then LOL !!!! 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was younger when camping with my girlfriend, we were playing cards at out at a pickneck table, it was dark, 2 bears emerged from in back of our tent, I told her to stand up, but we were traped behind the seats and the table, 1 bear went on her side of the table, one on my side, the bear on my side, put his nose on my leg and  both continued on to tip over the trash cans a few feet away, moved on to the camp above us. Relived that we had not had a problem with them, the folks at the next campsite we could hear banging pots and pans to scare them aeway. Tense moments for a little while but we did ok. 

8 hours ago, Dig It said:

Hey Strick, I myself spent 12 years in NakNek / King Salmon area, I know that dump well, Haha !! Operation Manager / Refrigeration Tech for the 2 big shipping companies out of Bristol Bay..  I am a Silver Salmon Derby Winner out of Eddies Fireplace Inn in King Salmon, A lot of Great memories and Experiences from there. What Cannery did you guy's deliver to ? Also crab fish & tendered Herring and Salmon on the Crabber FV Seabrook, Much Younger Then LOL !!!! 

We worked for Trident Seafoods it was called something else before that.... I was there then as well...were talking 19-20 years old at the time when I first started..and I'm 60 now lol...we just fished the Sockeye Run then got the hell out of there and kissed the tarmac when we got off the plane back home...rarely had time for anything as we were always on the water.. 32 foot gill net boat... first one was wood...leaked like a pasta strainer but swelled right up in a few days and then slowed down...we had a few strikes over the years  and thats when we got to goof off and go sport fishing...I made a fishing pole out of an old fiberglass boat antenna one year and caught 32 pound King with it!  I never crabbed up there but the stories they told us made it seem like we were fishing in a pond there in Bristol Bay. 

Small world Dig it bringing back more memories thanks.

strick

In all my time in the wilds, I've seen far more black bear than grizzly. Black bear cause most of the trouble in our mountains, and they're very unpredictable. Sometimes you bang a shovel on the ground, yell, chuck some rocks, etc. and off they go. You know you're in trouble when they keep coming at you! (Been there, done that--a fat zero on the fun scale.) Plus, if a black bear attacks you (unless protecting a cub) it's because you're seen as a source of food, and so you're supposed to fight back with everything you've got to stay off the menu.

Grizzlies usually attack to show dominance (once again, cub encounters excepted)--swat you down, stomp some, maybe chew on you a little (that'd be a tough undertaking to outlast), then they'll leave, supposedly. They are after all the apex predator in our mountains, so they can write their own rules, I guess.

Had a double grizzly encounter one day, a couple of three-year-olds, ones just kicked off their momma's milk wagon. We were washing pay with a trommel, and the two grizzlies wanted to see what we were up to. So they got right close, then stood up. (As my dad used to say, "If you think a bear is big on the ground, just wait until it stands up!") Had a dumb idea to hop on the Honda Quad and gun the engine so they'd run away--only they came closer. Shut that Quad off right quick, and the grizzly twins dropped back to the ground and wandered away--they'd seen what they wanted to see, turned their backs on us and sauntered off. (I had a 12-gauge defender shotgun to-hand with buckshot as the first chambered round followed by four one-ounce rifled-slugs for backup, but I'm glad to this day that last resort that was never used--would have been a terrible jackpot of trouble with two grizzlies that close.

I've seen other grizzlies as well, but usually at some distance--those are the grizzly sightings I enjoy the most.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny

I ran across a guy walking out from way back in there and I was already about 30 miles off any road . This all took place in Alaska. He had run out of shotgun shells trying to keep the black bears off of him and he was going to get help to get his equipment out .

Like a Alaskian told me if a black bear comes after you he wants to eat you. A Grizzly will come after you not so much to eat you but he wants you out of his territory.

It’s best to be the fastest runner in your group.haha  

Bye the time I got home I had been a little over 12000 miles on that one trip. 
Chuck 

Chuck, I'm out of reactions for the day, so thought I'd respond with a message.

Good to hear your tale of the Alaskan that had to get away from the black bears--they can be a real nuisance and a genuine danger at times as well.

That's an amazing number of miles you went while completing that one trip!

Nice to hear from you, and all the best,

Lanny