Nugget Shooter Forum Closing

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

There was a lot of information from Jim Straight on that forum.  Perhaps more than in his books.

Can that be accessed?

I know the same question came up when Chris Gholson's site went down.  I was never able to see any data from it because I don't know how.

The subscription based Invision sites like Bill had are contained in a database hosted on Invision servers, and if Bill did not back up that database, and it sounds like he did not, then he has no copy of the information. I have no idea how long Invision would hold a database after a client stops paying the bills, but my guess is not long. This forum by comparison is hosted on my own leased server and I have backups on my home PC.

As I posted earlier in this thread you can use the Internet Archive to access much of Bill's forum. Did you not see that? Here is a direct link to the Jim Straight pages that were archived. If you really care about them it's wise to make copies, as there is no knowing how long the archives will exist once the original service goes offline.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/topic/22123-jim-straight-here/*

A tip on using the archive for database created sites - the links on the pages found often do not work. You need to use the "Click here to search for all archived pages under this URL" function that pops up when doing searches. This usually is the main page with an asterisk attached as shown above. This gives a master list you will have to revert back to in order to access each page directly instead of the normal links on the pages like found on this forum or Bill's. The formatting may be hosed but the text can usually be recovered. It takes a little work - it's not a simple functioning copy of the website.

3 hours ago, dirtman said:

Nothing lasts forever, cept the Earth & Sky 🎯👍

All we are is dust in the wind.

Kansas

• 7 months later...

Former Nugget Shooter forum member here, good to see at least a couple of you, have new place to hang out... great to meet again! 😊

11 hours ago, Red_desert said:

Former Nugget Shooter forum member here, good to see at least a couple of you, have new place to hang out... great to meet again! 😊

Welcome Red_desert ... Good to see you back on a forum. Those of us that were Nugget Shooter Forum members miss the old place but this place is a welcome new home base. Look forward to your posts my forum friend.

Nugget Shooter forum members welcome for sure! Just a friendly reminder for those not used to how this forum works…. it is an absolutely zero politics zone. I don’t warn I just delete. I set this place up as a refuge from all that and if people want it there are plenty of other places to get it. This forum by design sticks to dry boring topics like gold prospecting and metal detecting. :smile:

Nugget Shooter forum didn't allow politics either. Then 1 or 2 habitual offenders, usually got their political posts deleted sooner or later.

15 hours ago, Red_desert said:

Nugget Shooter forum didn't allow politics either. Then 1 or 2 habitual offenders, usually got their political posts deleted sooner or later.

Actually there was an anything goes sub-forum for years that finally got nuked as even Bill got fed up with it. That plus the “sooner or later” and “habitual offenders” is why I made the comment. Action here is immediate and more than once is a probable ban. I actually hate being a watchdog so the easiest solution is to get rid of those that need watching.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk to new arrivals. I just don’t want anyone being caught unawares by my evil draconian oversight. :smile:

I never spent time browsing that sub-forum... I was a good online friend with Don Martin the Brazil Prospector "Garimpo" until he hardly ever showed up.   

This used to be my forums links list:

AK Gold Forum
Aussie Gold Detecting
AZ Gold Prospectors
AZO
Carl's
DFXonly
Find's Forums
Finders
Geotech
Gold & Coin
Gold Detecting
GPAA Forum
Kinzli
Nevada Nugget Hunters
New 49'ers
NuggetShooter's
NV Nugget
Rob's
TDI Tech
THunting
Treasure Depot
TreasureNet
UK
White's Forum
White's TDI

Most of them are gone now, and out of the U.S. based forums with a nugget detecting community I think it is pretty much down to Rob and I now. Facebook and YouTube have really taken a toll.