Beach Programs Flaws On Gold

Skull diver

As a salt beach hunter, I don't think you will be able to use the gold program at all under water.

You are correct that the Beach Sensitive program is the only salt mode that has a good shot at chains!  I think you should try one different adjustment. First if you're trying to hunt with 95 sensitivity under water>forget it. I cannot even hunt the wet sand in my location at 95 sensitivity. 

In my testing the D2 did not lose depth until sensitivity 88. I would try keeping your Audio Response at 6 and turn down sensitivity to achieve hunt ability. I am 100% confident an Audio Response of 6 and a sensitivity of 88 will out hunt an Audio Response of 4 and sensitivity of 95 on fringe targets. You will also get a sharper response on small open gold chains.

The point I am trying to make> There is no need to overdrive sensitivity to achieve good depth. 

Another point>Threshold.  Running a threshold can amplify crap sounds. I do not see the reason to run ANY threshold. Running a threshold may be a self-defeating adjustment, especially in saltwater conditions.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, midalake said:

As a salt beach hunter, I don't think you will be able to use the gold program at all under water.

You are correct that the Beach Sensitive program is the only salt mode that has a good shot at chains!  I think you should try one different adjustment. First if you're trying to hunt with 95 sensitivity under water>forget it. I cannot even hunt the wet sand in my location at 95 sensitivity. 

In my testing the D2 did not lose depth until sensitivity 88. I would try keeping your Audio Response at 6 and turn down sensitivity to achieve hunt ability. I am 100% confident an Audio Response of 6 and a sensitivity of 88 will out hunt an Audio Response of 4 and sensitivity of 95 on fringe targets. You will also get a sharper response on small open gold chains.

The point I am trying to make> There is no need to overdrive sensitivity to achieve good depth. 

Another point>Threshold.  Running a threshold can amplify crap sounds. I do not see the reason to run ANY threshold. Running a threshold may be a self-defeating adjustment, especially in saltwater conditions.  

I'll try to make exactly the settings you're suggesting and compare with the program I use now.

The fact is, with my settings, I can't see how this will improve if not begin worse when submerged 😒

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beach Programs Flaws On Gold
On 9/8/2023 at 2:38 PM, midalake said:

In my testing the D2 did not lose depth until sensitivity 88.

I must say that reflecting on your statement I have like a suspicion about 10-11-12 programs now.
I mean I am struggling to understand why in gold mode the reaction to the targets is radically different at the same frequency and settings?
I have two hypotheses about this: the first is that although having 14/24/40 kHz frequency offsets, none of the 3 is actually what appears on the screen but way less instead, or the Salt sens filter and audio response act differently for the three beach programs.
At least during a trivial air test, the targets must be read with an ID  and from a reasonable distance.

Not to mention that I used for test purpose a sensitivity level of 95🤐