Looking For GPX 6000 Coil Alternatives

The NF Exceed 7x12 is more quiet and handles EMI pretty good but is not going to be deeper on larger targets over the stock 11" mono coil. The cheaper alternative is the CT Goldhawk 5 x 10",  not as quiet as the NF coil though, but does better on really small targets, more so than any of the other coils available to date. We are still waiting for NF to release hopefully this year the Exceed 10 x 16 mono coil which could possibly be deeper on larger targets and more quiet; verdict is not out yet though.

I attached a chart I put together to show the other details. The bigger coils hit better on larger deep targets and are not as sensitive to smaller targets. The smaller coils do better on sensitivity to smaller targets but with loss of depth on larger targets.

F8F28703-C112-47B6-BB62-DDE997B859F0.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

The bigger coils hit better on larger deep targets and are not as sensitive to smaller targets. The smaller coils do better on sensitivity to smaller targets but with loss of depth on larger targets.

As has been the case since the invention of nugget detectors. What I am looking for is a coil for my 7000 that finds me lots and lots of BIG shallow nuggets. Is that too much to ask?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

If you only have the stock coils and have both of them you already have the deepest coils on all sizes of gold.

You already have virtually the most sensitive coil too with the 11".

Where the aftermarket is slightly ahead is their handling of EMI and stability.   

I'm a big fan of aftermarket coils, however with the 6000 unless you need a different size and shape changing off that 11" isn't overly vital like it was with the older GPX series, it's right up there being a great coil performance wise.  Minelab did a very good job of it quality issues aside.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

If you only have the stock coils and have both of them you already have the deepest coils on all sizes of gold.

You already have virtually the most sensitive coil too with the 11".

Where the aftermarket is slightly ahead is their handling of EMI and stability.   

I'm a big fan of aftermarket coils, however with the 6000 unless you need a different size and shape changing off that 11" isn't overly vital like it was with the older GPX series, it's right up there being a great coil performance wise.  Minelab did a very good job of it quality issues aside.

Of all the coils available for use with the 6000, the 11" ML mono is by far the worst. Poorly made with crap shielding quality, bunched or gapped wiring and quality control was practically non existent. In quiet soils, it will work OK but in hotter soils, it will groan like a hangover. This is a by-product of it being a flat-wound mono, they all 'hear' mineralization to a greater degree....which is why neither aftermarket coil manufacturers use this design. By far, the quietest coil is the NF 12x7 mono. I hope that the square-block wound mono design that NF use, will be replicated in their 16x10 and 8.5x6 monos as well. Quiet means stable and stable means performance improvement. At the moment, the Coiltek 10x5 mono is the most sensitive coil out there...by a mile. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh my! 1

8 hours ago, Aureous said:

By far, the quietest coil is the NF 12x7 mono. I hope that the square-block wound mono design that NF use, will be replicated in their 16x10 and 8.5x6 monos as well. Quiet means stable and stable means performance improvement. At the moment, the Coiltek 10x5 mono is the most sensitive coil out there...by a mile. 

Agree 100 % after using  the 12x7 and the 10x5 on a patch recently I've found the 10x5 to hit smaller gold better then the 12x7. I was actually surprised how many pieces on heavily worked ground the 12x7 had missed. The 12x7 is great on small gold but the 10x5 is better. I have not put the stock minelab coil on my machine since taking it off but i should give it another chance next time out. 

strick

• Like 9

It's good to hear a different perspective in different soil and it makes sense, the 11" in very mild soil has the extreme sensitivity which I guess in hotter soils could just be negated by the extra noise or something of the more sensitive coil.

I've seen targets with the 11" the 10x5" doesn't see at all, same settings, same time testing when JW using the 11" and me the 10x5", his 11" reacted on it, my 10x5" didn't.

I too find the 10x5" better than the 12x7" on small gold but common sense would say it would be being the smaller coil.

That's why I'm expecting the Sadie to be better than the 10x5", if it ever comes out.

• Like 6

12x7 is a sweet coil to have for a smoother threshold, and like others said for max sensitivity, you will find the 5x10 will average out smaller targets dug over time.  

• Like 3

Interesting. I too find the 11" a very good coil in our NZ mild ground conditions. Getting good depth on small gold. In fact I would say the best depth. But that kind of stands to reason being a bigger coil but obviously still holding great sensitivity, in our conditions.

To those of you in noisier ground & not liking the 11" & have both the NF 12x7 & CT 10x5, do you find the 12x7 gets better depth on same size gold as the 10x5 or is the gold the 12x7 finds deeper but slightly bigger. In a normal world one would think that was the case due solely to the physics of the coil sizes verses gold size & depth. In that case the 10x5 should find smaller gold but not as deep. The difference could also be the 12x7 running quieter allowing  very faint small gold to be heard if you consider the 12x7 to be smoother & quieter running.

Shows how desperate we are getting to find gold of any size these days, even the smallest of smalls. So the competition now is what coil can/will find the deepest smallest gold. Bit sad really.

D4G    

• Like 6

8 hours ago, strick said:

Agree 100 % after using  the 12x7 and the 10x5 on a patch recently I've found the 10x5 to hit smaller gold better then the 12x7. I was actually surprised how many pieces on heavily worked ground the 12x7 had missed. The 12x7 is great on small gold but the 10x5 is better. I have not put the stock minelab coil on my machine since taking it off but i should give it another chance next time out. 

strick

Great review Strick! 

• Thanks 1