Picked Up An Axiom

DSMITH

10 hours ago, DSMITH said:

it was a different area in my yard

If you are in your yard then EMI is also an issue because a house is a giant EMI emitter. So yeah, get it out to a few different locations - like miles apart, and preferably out of town. The Axiom handles EMI well for a PI but that does not mean it will behave well in an urban area compared to a VLF as regards EMI. I'm glad though that you are getting a handle on it.

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If you are in your yard then EMI is also an issue because a house is a giant EMI emitter. So yeah, get it out to a few different locations - like miles apart, and preferably out of town. The Axiom handles EMI well for a PI but that does not mean it will behave well in an urban area compared to a VLF as regards EMI. I'm glad though that you are getting a handle on it.

Yes sir Like i said this is an all new learning experience for me, and one of the big problems is trying to get the VLF mentality out of my big fat head, LOL

On 10/10/2023 at 2:16 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m in a mid to small size city with an acre lot adjacent to the big box stores near the main highway. My initial Axiom tests on my property got me some minor EMI chatter until I calmed a few of the settings into negative ranges. What was great were the nice loud tones designating a target powering through any minor squeaks and squawks. I’ve used it in parks in the same city, it’s exceptionally well behaved since I’m not using it to find whisper-faint sub-gram nuggets or larger deeper targets.

I will test out my 11 x 7 mono and see what I get when I try to balance in the EMI here. I’ve left that coil alone since I got the detector so it’s factory fresh from the first set of production models. I’m curious about this now because the ATX is an EMI pro in my yard, though I am sure that comes at a cost.

The Axiom’s sensitivity can put off some at first but it does a great job letting you dial it back. Never tried a VLF, but seeing people bench test those detectors inside their home or apartment always blew my mind. If I turn on my Axiom or ATX inside I’m pretty sure there’s be a smoking crater where it once stood.

48 minutes ago, All_Metal_Mode said:

I’m in a mid to small size city with an acre lot adjacent to the big box stores near the main highway. My initial Axiom tests on my property got me some minor EMI chatter until I calmed a few of the settings into negative ranges. What was great were the nice loud tones designating a target powering through any minor squeaks and squawks. I’ve used it in parks in the same city, it’s exceptionally well behaved since I’m not using it to find whisper-faint sub-gram nuggets or larger deeper targets.

I will test out my 11 x 7 mono and see what I get when I try to balance in the EMI here. I’ve left that coil alone since I got the detector so it’s factory fresh from the first set of production models. I’m curious about this now because the ATX is an EMI pro in my yard, though I am sure that comes at a cost.

The Axiom’s sensitivity can put off some at first but it does a great job letting you dial it back. Never tried a VLF, but seeing people bench test those detectors inside their home or apartment always blew my mind. If I turn on my Axiom or ATX inside I’m pretty sure there’s be a smoking crater where it once stood.

Yep no way would I attempt to turn on a detector inside a building of any kind, let alone the Axiom I could only imagine what the Axiom would do inside a house 

2 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Yep no way would I attempt to turn on a detector inside a building of any kind, let alone the Axiom I could only imagine what the Axiom would do inside a house 

Actually, the Axiom using the smaller DD coil with sensitivity on 1 of 8, threshold set around 0, in Normal after doing a thorough noise cancel, runs plenty quiet enough in my basement to test relic, coin, nail and aluminum trash audio responses and even on sensitivity 1 it will hit a #6 shotgun pellet/0.1 gram piece of lead or gold swept very close to the center of the coil. I wouldn't try that with the Mono coil.

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Actually, the Axiom using the smaller DD coil with sensitivity on 1 of 8, threshold set around 0, in Normal after doing a thorough noise cancel, runs plenty quiet enough in my basement to test relic, coin, nail and aluminum trash audio responses and even on sensitivity 1 it will hit a #6 shotgun pellet/0.1 gram piece of lead or gold swept very close to the center of the coil. I wouldn't try that with the Mono coil.

All joking aside you are right, it’s able to be turned on and even tested indoors with the right settings. EMI was never the issue for my homes in Belgium and the U.S., it was the metal all throughout the house from nails to beams that drove the detector bonkers.

I am envious of VLF users who can bench test their machines in the off season from the comfort of their kitchen table. Especially since they don’t need to pull their detector’s power back to do so. Prospecting PI isn’t for the part-time detecting hobbyist.