Picked Up An Axiom

DSMITH

As the header reads picked up an Axiom played around a bit on my 1.6 acres started out with the 11x7 Mono and could not get it to run stable at all, no power lines above ground or below close to where I was playing, cell phone was not in my pocket, no metal in my shoes or in my pockets

set up my threshold to where it was barely heard, set the tones to my liking

Ground Balanced, performed frequency shift did both the GB and frequency shift several times,  tried lowering the sensitivity, sensitivity at 1 and 2 nothing would smooth it out, tried switching from slow, medium and fast, also tried going fine,normal,large, and salt with the 11x7 Mono, nothing helped can not recall what my Ground balance numbers were with the 11x7 Mono

I switched coils to the 13x11 DD and went back through adjusted the sensitivity to 2- 3 was even able to push it up to 5 before it was getting a little to sparky, it ran smooth as silk at a setting of 2 and 3 on the sensitivity, and even 4 on the sens was usable but I kept it around 2-3 

my yard has a extreme amount of magnetite and heavy salt content which is what I believe was giving the 11x7 mono fits, this is my theory anyways, swung over two small test nuggets that I have thanks to Reese Townes, have not weighed either but they are tinny with the 11x7 mono I could not hear those two little nuggets other than a couple little chirps here and there, because of all the ground noise I was getting, but with the 13x11 DD those two little nuggets were very audible and could be heard very well with the rise in the threshold two little bloop, bloops

the 13x11 DD throws the balance of the Axiom off quite a bit though but the weight is manageable, I am going to go ahead and pick up a 11x7 DD, just to get the balance back and have when situations occur that the 11x7 mono does not work or cannot be used

for a first high end PI I am pretty happy with my purchase and I got a pretty good deal on it, it will take some learning like any other detector but I will get there

I have been reading all the threads and post that pertain to the Axiom, and appreciate every ones post about the Axiom especially Mr Steve H as it helps with the learning curve of the Axiom

I did swing over an area in my yard with the 13x11 DD and got a booming Woo Woo hit, that I will dig up in the future as I have to take it easy because my back is a bit jacked rite now in fact I ended up in the hospital last Saturday because of a messed up disc in my right lower back, but I am looking forward to my new adventure with the Axiom   

• The title was changed to Picked Up An Axiom
3 hours ago, oregon72 said:

My Axiom 11x7 mono was very unstable from the get go. Garret determined the coil was defective and sent me a new one.

I am going to give it another shot with the 11x7 mono again before I say it is a bad coil, where I tested it all detectors struggle so I need to get out away from where I started just to make sure it was not the ground or the way I had the Axiom set up or what not enough time on the axiom to say its a bad coil or anything else, thats the one thing I like about having threads and post to read gives me things to try, all I will say is the 13x11 DD had no issues of running stable it quieted rite down with very little effort on my part, I am going to try the 11x7 again tomorrow and play with the settings using some that was suggested on a few of the post and threads

@oregon72 how did you finally determine it was in fact a bad coil, on your Axiom, is there something I should look for or watch for ???

Your situation mirrors my experience with the Axiom. I went out and acquired a 11x7 DD coil and the detector was very stable just like the 13x11 DD coil. No mater what adjustments I made to the detector I could not get the 11x7mono coil to settle down or work right. I called up Garrett and talked to a nice lady and explained to her what the detector was doing. She indicated if the detector was working well with the DD coils the mono is more than likely defective.  She sent me a new 11x7 mono and I sent the defective coil back. The new coil was a night and day difference. It was very stable similar to the DD coils. By the way I knew a Dan Smith when I was a young fellow in Glendora California. I was curious if you were the same Dan Smith.

I've taken to doing a factory reset before detecting with the Axiom for the day. Might be overkill, but I think it just starts the machine out fresh. It also sets me up to verify all the settings and not just assume they are set the way I like.

You might try putting on the 11x7 Mono and then perform a factory reset ( press and hold the Power button for five seconds results in double beep ) and then do your frequency scan and then adjust your sensitivity, etc. to see if it will quiet down.

3 hours ago, oregon72 said:

Your situation mirrors my experience with the Axiom. I went out and acquired a 11x7 DD coil and the detector was very stable just like the 13x11 DD coil. No mater what adjustments I made to the detector I could not get the 11x7mono coil to settle down or work right. I called up Garrett and talked to a nice lady and explained to her what the detector was doing. She indicated if the detector was working well with the DD coils the mono is more than likely defective.  She sent me a new 11x7 mono and I sent the defective coil back. The new coil was a night and day difference. It was very stable similar to the DD coils. By the way I knew a Dan Smith when I was a young fellow in Glendora California. I was curious if you were the same Dan Smith.

My name is Don Smith

thank you for letting me know how you and Garrett determined yours was a defective 11x7 mono, going to give it one more shot then I guess I will call Garrett

3 hours ago, timbus59 said:

I've taken to doing a factory reset before detecting with the Axiom for the day. Might be overkill, but I think it just starts the machine out fresh. It also sets me up to verify all the settings and not just assume they are set the way I like.

You might try putting on the 11x7 Mono and then perform a factory reset ( press and hold the Power button for five seconds results in double beep ) and then do your frequency scan and then adjust your sensitivity, etc. to see if it will quiet down.

already changed back to the 11x7 Mono and going to do the factory reset, you sound like me in the fact I perform a factory reset every time I go out with all my detectors and then set things up to the ground I am currently going to detect, it does not hurt anything and it only takes a few seconds to do it,good thing my memory is still good because I have some settings that are specific to the site, that I input back into my Legend, plus it helps that I keep a little log book in my pocket and jot down what settings I used each time I go out and detect.

Thank you for your suggestions though greatly appreciated

If the ground has extreme magnetite the mono coils will not balance. One of the GB numbers will stick at 00 no matter what you do. But I'm talking extreme magnetite content. The DD coils will handle it though. If you have that kind of ground it could be that, but that kind of ground is rare enough that a bad coil is not a bad bet either. Easiest way to tell is to take the detector to a lower mineral location, like on sod or deep turf. If it is still acting up then it is the coil.

45 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

already changed back to the 11x7 Mono and going to do the factory reset, you sound like me in the fact I perform a factory reset every time I go out with all my detectors and then set things up to the ground I am currently going to detect, it does not hurt anything and it only takes a few seconds to do it,good thing my memory is still good because I have some settings that are specific to the site, that I input back into my Legend, plus it helps that I keep a little log book in my pocket and jot down what settings I used each time I go out and detect.

Thank you for your suggestions though greatly appreciated

Please let us know how it turns out. Curious to see if its a bad coil, difficult ground, or just a reset needed.

16 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If the ground has extreme magnetite the mono coils will not balance. One of the GB numbers will stick at 00 no matter what you do. But I'm talking extreme magnetite content. The DD coils will handle it though. If you have that kind of ground it could be that, but that kind of ground is rare enough that a bad coil is not a bad bet either. Easiest way to tell is to take the detector to a lower mineral location, like on sod or deep turf. If it is still acting up then it is the coil.

Hi Steve performed another test in a different area GB numbers were 49 and 25 this time I paid close attention to the GB numbers, this was with the 11x7 Mono

decided to try some of the settings you suggested in one or two of your threads with my threshold at -6 and sens at 4, this test had a different outcome where the 11x7 ran very quiet, it was a different area in my yard so based on that I am thinking it was just the area I was in, this Axiom is a new learning curve for me

performed a factory reset

my settings were slow, fine, GB 49 and 25, threshold at-6 sens at 4 and it ran great with the 11-7 mono so I know it is not a defective or faulty coil, again I believe it was just the area I was doing my initial familiarizing test with the Axiom, with the 11x7 and the settings I had set it actually spanked my two little test nuggets