Techniques For Detecting Dredge Spoils

The majority of my bigger gold finds have come from tailing piles.  I've detected dredge and hand placer digging piles in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Montana and Nevada with success.  If I were to hunt California, Arizona and Wyoming tailing piles, I'd do what I've learned in the 30 years of chasing bigger gold and do what I usually do, I'd run Discriminating VLF's and find even more.  Yes I have used PI's and even ZED with Success at such locations, but I run out of energy much sooner, as shovel heads at 3 1/2 feet are Ball Breakers, grease buckets over 4' are heart attaches.  Here's the funny thing about the bigger machines. I've yet to actually find a bigger chunk of gold beyond the depths of my VLF's capabilities.  I'm sure it has been done by someone, but my Success speaks for itself.

I run into folks in the field on occasion and they swear up and down, those said sites can be PI'd.  OK, then why is my VLF Success 10X of theirs????  Sometimes a little Success with a PI in tailing does not mean that's the best way to do it.  Problem is, some folks are happy with a little bit of Success and too hard headed to learn and or teach themselves a new style.  OK with me, as I'll keep doing what works for me and they can keep doing what works for them.

Not all tailing piles are the same and many are not even in good size gold nugget/specimen country.  Many folks forget this fact.  In many of the tailing I detect, the highly mineralized soils have already been removed, so the VLF's capabilities are optimal which = a closer performance comparison of said VLF vs PI.  Again, different parts of the country in the US, the piles vary.  It's just that in the regions and states I've detected tailing piles, I've been able to get best results with the Discriminating VLFs.

- A lighter and faster VLF detector can be used for longer periods of time

- The Iron ID VLF's save time in identifying ferrous and non ferrous targets.

- Today's newer discriminating VLF's with target Identification can be taken a step above and helps me separate the nonferrous targets and saves me more time not having to dig certain non ferrous targets.

- In mold tailing piles, the mineralized dirt has been removed and performance of VLF vs PI is not as big a difference.

- Very important and not mentioned by most.  Invisible gold - It's out there in way more places than most realize, but you don't know as your detector can't see it.  Many older PI detectors and even a couple current models can not see or will respond to such gold.  I have numerous multi ounces pieces a VLF responds to and bigger detectors can't or do it but not as well at a depth as the VLF.

I love detecting tailing & hand work placer piles.  I highly recommend to those who have not done so to try it and be open minded when doing so.  There is no right or wrong way, but do what seems to work for you.

If you have a bigger PI or ZED and don't own a VLF, I know you're missing gold and in some areas, you could be missing the best gold.  No sales pitch, just what I have learned from being in the field for many years.  Heck I couldn't believe my own eyes when I 1st witnessed this 25+ yrs ago.  Now I take a big machine and VLF everywhere I go

Here's some pics of finds with a variety of detectors that I have been successful with.

2lb2.JPG

Ganes1.48.jpg

X70h.JPG

1stNug.jpg

1oz'era.JPG

DSCN5864.JPG

20230922_121348.jpg

Potatoe1.jpg

nug10.JPG

1Big24A.jpg

DiscDrdg4.JPG

DSCN6162.JPG

3+1C.jpg

15b.jpg

1A.jpg

DiscDrdg7.jpg

DSCN6305.JPG

20230829_134941.jpg

20220804_114305.jpg

6i.jpg

20210614_151229.jpg

DSCN8667.JPG

20230830_130314.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

The majority of my bigger gold finds have come from tailing piles.  I've detected dredge and hand placer digging piles in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Montana and Nevada with success.  If I were to hunt California, Arizona and Wyoming tailing piles, I'd do what I've learned in the 30 years of chasing bigger gold and do what I usually do, I'd run Discriminating VLF's and find even more.  Yes I have used PI's and even ZED with Success at such locations, but I run out of energy much sooner, as shovel heads at 3 1/2 feet are Ball Breakers, grease buckets over 4' are heart attaches.  Here's the funny thing about the bigger machines. I've yet to actually find a bigger chunk of gold beyond the depths of my VLF's capabilities.  I'm sure it has been done by someone, but my Success speaks for itself.

I run into folks in the field on occasion and they swear up and down, those said sites can be PI'd.  OK, then why is my VLF Success 10X of theirs????  Sometimes a little Success with a PI in tailing does not mean that's the best way to do it.  Problem is, some folks are happy with a little bit of Success and too hard headed to learn and or teach themselves a new style.  OK with me, as I'll keep doing what works for me and they can keep doing what works for them.

Not all tailing piles are the same and many are not even in good size gold nugget/specimen country.  Many folks forget this fact.  In many of the tailing I detect, the highly mineralized soils have already been removed, so the VLF's capabilities are optimal which = a closer performance comparison of said VLF vs PI.  Again, different parts of the country in the US, the piles vary.  It's just that in the regions and states, I've detected tailing piles, I've been able to get best results with the Discriminating VLFs.

- A lighter and faster VLF detector can be used for longer periods of time

- The Iron ID VLF's save time in identifying ferrous and non ferrous targets.

- Today's newer discriminating VLF's with target Identification can be taken a step above and helps me separate the nonferrous targets and saves me more time not having to dig certain non ferrous targets.

- In mold tailing piles, the mineralized dirt has been removed and performance of VLF vs PI is not as big a difference.

I love detecting tailing & hand work placer piles.  I highly recommend to those who have not done so to try it and be open minded when doing so.  There is no right or wrong way, but do what seems to work for you.

Here's some pics of finds with a variety of detectors that I have been successful with.

2lb2.JPG

Ganes1.48.jpg

X70h.JPG

1stNug.jpg

1oz'era.JPG

DSCN5864.JPG

20230922_121348.jpg

Potatoe1.jpg

nug10.JPG

1Big24A.jpg

DiscDrdg4.JPG

DSCN6162.JPG

3+1C.jpg

15b.jpg

1A.jpg

DiscDrdg7.jpg

DSCN6305.JPG

20230829_134941.jpg

20220804_114305.jpg

6i.jpg

20210614_151229.jpg

DSCN8667.JPG

20230830_130314.jpg

exactly why I got the Maticore. Here in the Helena MT area the 100 plus year old tailings are endless and 90% are untouched. Ive even got a few on my new property.  

• Like 3

If anyone is debating on whether to take Gerry's detecting training  .

THAT ^ :nugget: might help you decide !😜

I agree with geof_junk Gerry  but,,, Not even ONE pic of the ol "washing machine" mouth ??? 🥸

That must have taken a lot of willpower ! 🤐

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1