Garrett Axiom Compatible X-coils

phrunt

Is the X Coil more sensitive than the smallest stock coil in mild to medium ground at sacrifice of reducing ground balancing in hot ground? Or is it about the same sensitivity as the stock coils in mild ground but also failing to ground balance in hot ground?

I'm just kinda curious as a general point of interest if either of the 2nd gen PI's have any performance to be gained by coils at all, or if they are both already maxed out internally and coils are more just for geometry/size preference on both the 6000 and Axiom. I guess that is already clear for the 6000, wasn't sure if it was demonstrated for the Axiom or not yet?

• Like 3

That's a great question, it appears to be that way with the 6000.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasong said:

Is the X Coil more sensitive than the smallest stock coil in mild to medium ground at sacrifice of reducing ground balancing in hot ground? Or is it about the same sensitivity as the stock coils in mild ground but also failing to ground balance in hot ground?

I'm just kinda curious as a general point of interest if either of the 2nd gen PI's have any performance to be gained by coils at all, or if they are both already maxed out internally and coils are more just for geometry/size preference on both the 6000 and Axiom. I guess that is already clear for the 6000, wasn't sure if it was demonstrated for the Axiom or not yet?

That is the question Lunk will no doubt be trying to answer. My bench testing on small gold versus the 11” Garrett DD if anything had the Garrett being more sensitive to the tiny bits. But that’s an air test, and we all know how I feel about those! :laugh: In milder ground on some gold like 1/4 - 1/2 gram bits it might do well, but will it do better than the 7x11” mono which excels in milder ground? I’m doubtful. But Lunk will be the final judge.

I do think the Axiom would benefit from some other coils, like a 14x9 mono and a weighted coil for in water use, but I do not and never did think that coils were going to open some magic box of unrevealed performance. “Just put this coil on and blow Minelab away”. Yeah, right. Like Garrett would not have done that if it was all that needed doing.

The deal with Minelab and coils is different because coils have been a tool they use to artificially limit units and drive sales from one model to another.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As far as DeTech goes I think there are more issues there than just Axiom. See this new post....

NEL I think is also based in Bulgaria and they have also gone silent. Both were great suppliers of aftermarket coils and both would have been perfect to do Axiom coils. I suspect politics screwed us on that.

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

NEL I think is also based in Bulgaria and they have also gone silent. Both were great suppliers of aftermarket coils and both would have been perfect to do Axiom coils. I suspect politics screwed us on that.

Nel is another Ukrainian coil manufacturer like Mars and Cors. I understand that Nel and Cors have suspended manufacture due to the war but Mars are still going on a limited scale.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had the coil just long enough to determine it will not ground balance on hot ground. No matter the mode or setting it would not ground balance on a Tahoe beach. It would ground balance in my yard, but only in Large or Salt mode.

This is an indication that the manufacturer hasn't deconstructed a Garrett coil to inspect the shielding values nor the position of the screen wire. Both crucial in allowing the cpu to set ground balance values. Just testing the inductance & resistance values via the coil plug won't cut it.....

• Like 1

I think that Garrett has 2 possible paths in the field of... building coils for a PI detector...
  first... He can make other different sizes of "DoD" coils, which will be even more optimized for better reach for a certain size of gold..." remember that these coils combine the benefits of the DD coil in mineralization with the reach of targets... as well as they have the same sensitivity as a concentric coil for small targets...

2 Another way is the possibility to go the way with small coils of the classic DD type .. as was the case with the small 3X7" and 5X10" DD coils for the PI Infinium ..

IMG_20220613_084659.thumb.jpg.5ce2a83d715f1b3b9f9f287c2631fc0b.jpg

IMG_20210613_182433.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

I think that Garrett has 2 possible paths in the field of... building coils for a PI detector...
  first... He can make other different sizes of "DoD" coils, which will be even more optimized for better reach for a certain size of gold..." remember that these coils combine the benefits of the DD coil in mineralization with the reach of targets... as well as they have the same sensitivity as a concentric coil for small targets...

2 Another way is the possibility to go the way with small coils of the classic DD type .. as was the case with the small 3X7" and 5X10" DD coils for the PI Infinium ..

Yes, all of the above options are absolutely worthy of prototyping and evaluation. Smaller DD coils are sorely missed options for the 6000 also at the moment. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The deal with Minelab and coils is different because coils have been a tool they use to artificially limit units and drive sales from one model to another.

This should have been in bold perhaps with an underline to ensure the point gets across, maybe also increasing the font size by 200% and adding a bit of colour  🙂

Quote of the year, "The deal with Minelab and coils is different because coils have been a tool they use to artificially limit units and drive sales from one model to another."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1