Garrett Axiom Compatible X-coils

phrunt

The Axiom is already solid competition versus the GPX 6000 on small gold.

Garrett coils for the Axiom in US$ are very reasonable as are the coil size and type choices. The 11X7” coils are very lightweight.

I understand the 8” round DOD coil from X-Coils could really be an excellent size coil for many applications. 

Simon, just a guess, what would this coil cost? The 11X7” Garrett coils are $299 US.

I also understand that X-Coils has relocated to Belarus……

• Like 3

I have no idea about cost Jeff, I'm sure they'll work that out soon although I'm not too sure they'd be the price of the standard coils.  They tend to be the coils people who really want them buy them even though they tend to cost more. 

They are shipped from Belarus but originally come from Kazakhstan, it became difficult for them to ship direct from Kazakhstan a few months ago after it being flawless and fast for a couple of years so they now have to transport them to Belarus for shipping and it's usually about a 2 to 3 week ship time from there to anywhere.  Nothing is easy in that part of the world at the moment.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The X-Coils will not be solid body, correct?  If so, they would be good for salt beach/surf/bay hunters as well vs. the positive-buoyancy Garrett coils.

Not solid body but the interior of a DOD coil is crammed with copper, and I think the contained air is minimal - looks fairly low profile. I expect they still float but hard to think they could be worse than the Garrett coils in that regard. The 7x11 DD can be used underwater but it takes quite a bit of downward pressure, and the larger coils - forget it. They are also not promising it is waterproof. I think it would be ok for a couple feet though, with maybe some extra sealant for insurance. Don't know really, I'll just make it up as I go once I have one in hand.

8 inch DOD Axiom coil photo.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 2:41 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The Axiom is already solid competition versus the GPX 6000 on small gold.

Garrett coils for the Axiom in US$ are very reasonable as are the coil size and type choices. The 11X7” coils are very lightweight.

I understand the 8” round DOD coil from X-Coils could really be an excellent size coil for many applications. 

Simon, just a guess, what would this coil cost? The 11X7” Garrett coils are $299 US.

I also understand that X-Coils has relocated to Belarus……

Garrett coils for the Axiom here in Australia are close to double the US cost. It's actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper to buy from the US and have sent here even after USD conversion. Go figure? I think Garrett Aust really need to rethink this part of their business or loose a lot of on-going sales for coils. My 11x7 already has a touch sensitivity issue I thought I'd overcome - seems faulty now. I had 7 X-Coils for my GPZ 7000, it proved very useful tuning a detector to an area in differing circumstances. I did get a tester and with the results, happily paid the almost $2k price tag each for more coils as they did exactly what people were saying they did - got more gold! Paying for themselves along the way - so having as much invested in my detector as I did in my coils just made sense. Am I buying the 8 for the Axiom as soon as it's available? You bet I am, I won't hesitate for quality. And any that may come after. The Axiom coils are good, the x-coils are great, simple.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting. Detech making this coil? Been running the axiom for the past 8 months now and been pretty pleased. My only concern I see with this coil, if the hot spot is in the center like the DD, is that I flip the coil over when retrieving micro targets to get right over the hot spot. Doesn't look like that's obtainable that the the stem is right infront of the end of the shaft. However I do think that's a sexy looking coil. I'll buy one when it's released. 

Surf hunters would love to see a neutral buoyancy 12” spider coil for the Axiom.

• Like 1