333 = 8k Gold

I'm still hunting the eroded areas from our last hurricane Idalia but the sand is filling things in.

Found this little medal weighing 1.2 grams about 8 inches deep. It depicts the Gemini Twins and is marked on the upper backside tab 333 FB. After doing some research, I read it is 8 karat gold that is used primarily / solely in Germany. I guess the US and other countries do not use such a low karat gold in jewelry making. 

I have never found 8k before and was wondering if anyone else has ever found such a low gold content item? Almost all the coins I found were greenies so I'm not surprised the medal is tarnished and pitted with green as well. Such a great hobby, this treasure hunting. Ya never know what's out there! 

8k1.JPG

8k2.JPG

8k3.jpeg

8k4.jpeg

Nice hunt Okara!

That medal looks German or Dutch. 👍 I've heard of 8k but never seen it, apparently it pits a bit, but gold is gold, congrats.

Some nice shark teeth you have there too. I'm regaled with tales of them everywhere here, but in 20 years I've never developed the imprint. 🤔

Thanks 350! I never heard of 8k gold until I looked it up and sure enough it's the real deal. Going out again in the morning in a different direction. Water hunting has been poor to say the least so I'm staying dry for awhile.

Been to the gulf a couple times on vacation before I was into the hobby and we used to load up on those fossilized sharks teeth!

strick

1 minute ago, strick said:

Been to the gulf a couple times on vacation before I was into the hobby and we used to load up on those fossilized sharks teeth!

strick

It's always fun to find them. Here's one I found with a metal detector a couple years ago. I had to really laugh when I saw that in the scoop! Couldn't believe it! 

sharks tooth.jpeg

Just now, cuniagau said:

Nice save!  There is some weird stuff out there.  I got my first 9K and 15K this year.

Thanks! I got a 9k this year with the Manticore. Its ID was a 61. I was sure it was another penny.

That's a nice gift from the surf gods!

Never found 8k, but I bought acid test kit for it several years ago off ebay. Came with 7/8/9k. I have found a couple oddball golds, 12k and 15k, the 12k was marked 500, than a few I hoped were gold ....testing with lower K acid kit but none made the cut..Only found 1 gold marked 9k that I can remember.

A lot of German dental work is done with 8k gold, and has been used for nearly 100 years in Germany.

Something grandfather taught me. He said they used it because is worked well for dental procedures  and gold was scarce in their area because of the wars.